2016 PC build or wait for Kaby Lake???

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion' started by @ruantec, Jul 30, 2016.

1. @ruantec

@ruantec Crazy GFX coder Emu Author

Hello you nasty people of ngemu! how have you been lately??.... screw that pathetic intro and let's go to the topic should we?

I gifted my brother my older PC so that he can finally render his 3D stuff with a proper machine. My old i7 4790k sporting a GTX 970 and 16GB or DDR3 ram served me well for a bit over a year now. Now the time has come for me to build my next machine so what should it be? this time around i may go for the i5 instead of the i7 as the price difference and what i get doesn't justify for me the higher price eventhough i can afford it so here is what i'm thinking to purchase probably next week or later.

CPU:
    - i5 6600k or wait for Kaby Lale?

GPU:
    - MSI GTX 1070(i love the design of that card) or GTX 1080 founders edition which i also like too.

MOBO:
    - ASUS or Gigabyte not sure yet

RAM:
    - CORSAIR Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz

CASE:
    - One of those Cooler Master Silencio ones. It doesn't need to be slick as the PC will be in a separate room where i don't see it or heard it.

COOLER:
    - Cooler Master Seidon V2 120V is the one i'm thinking to get.

PSU:
    - Be-Quiet 600-700W one

SSD:
    - Already have one
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2016
  2. NGEmu.com Advertisement

3. resolutespider5

resolutespider5 I mustache you a queshtion

Well I can't really see anything wrong with your choices.

I very much doubt that Kaby Lake will offer any great gains, all said and done it will be a pretty minor update. i7 holds no advantages as far as gaming is concerned, 4 threads is more than enough for all the games out there, most are fine on 2.

GTX 1070 is probably all you need, the 1080 only has modest improvement at a far greater cost. Save your money for at least 16GB of system RAM. Even a 1060 is fine, unless you want something like 4K gaming.

People usually seem to recommend asus over gigabyte.

I say go for it.
  4. Thanakil

Thanakil NGemu Award Winner Award Winner!

If you pick Nvidia, don't buy the Founder's Edition of their cards. They genuinely offer nothing of worth. Get a custom card, such as the MSI or Gainward version.

I think you mentioned before that you wanted to play in 4K? If so, just a warning that even the 1080 won't do it. 1070 in SLI might be able to achieve it, but that's a pain in the ass.
    The new nvidia cards released with a few issues, tho one of the worst was recently fixed in a driver (from what I'm told), which was a pretty annoying DPC latency/stuttering issue.
    If we had heard more about the next enthusiast cards from AMD I would recommend waiting, since they've previously performed quite a bit better at high resolutions than Nvidia cards, but if you're planning to upgrade soon they won't be even close to releasing. So in such a scenario, I'd personally pick the 1070 and focus on 1080@144fps or 1440@60fps.
  5. @ruantec

Thanks guys for the suggestions. I can get both cards for almost the same price but i personally like the MSI design more but love the performance of the 1080. When it comes to price this is what i have:

MSI GTX 1070 = €538
    Zotac GTX 1080 Founders Edition + customer premium points(cheaper price for me) = €570

As you can see the difference isn't much in price for me thanks to the amount of premium points i have at the shop. I mentioned playing at 4K just for the sake of it but is not like i want to pull everything at high settings like DF do and expect 60fps. However, i will be more than happy to get 1440@60fps
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2016
  6. Thanakil

Thanakil NGemu Award Winner Award Winner!

I'm a bit surprised at those prices, but if you have a TON of premium points, that explains it. Can't you get a custom Zotac card? They have a version called the "AMP! Extreme" which is far better. If you can put your points toward it, it would be worth it, but I don't know if your shop has it.
    If the price of the 1080 is just greatly reduced for you, I'd probably go with it. The Founders Edition is just a reference card, no improvements to it, for an increased price. But the 1080 is strong enough that even at reference, it should be worth the upgrade over a custom 1070 for +€30. It won't overclock as well as the custom cards, but it'll still be faster than the 1070 anyway.
  7. @ruantec

Yeah, 30 bucks isn't really much when you think about the performance difference. Sadly enough the points can only be used by a selected amount of items and custom ones aren't included which is why the 1070 is so close in price as i can't use my points for that card. Interestingly enough the founder edition is included in the list of items valid for points.
  8. Yeloazndevil

Yeloazndevil Administrator Staff Member

I say just go for it if you already gave your old pc to your brother. Also why would designs matter if you are never going to look at it :p

I personally won't build a new pc until coffee lake comes out (I just like the name) and 6 core will be mainstream in 2018 according to Intel
  9. @ruantec

Alright, i just happened to have an insane amount of premium points due to the fact that i purchased a lot of stuff in the past 2 years. At the end instead of €570 i end up paying €470 for the GTX 1080 so actually far cheaper than the GTX 1070 :) and today i got this nasty baby....

gpu.jpg
    Silenus and koko like this.
  10. snickothemule

snickothemule brb gonna go fist the world lol Junior Contributor Award Winner!

Word on the street is Kaby lake isn't much better than skylake, however it will have a few new features which depending on your requirements (u2 storage primarily) may not be worth the wait. Chances are they won't have much higher clocks.

If you want a new PC now, get one now, your probably not going to lose out on much by waiting on intel and the 6600k is pretty damn good value for money.
    @ruantec likes this.
  11. Kaizen

Kaizen Yes Award Winner!

Wait for zen.

If it delivers Haswell level IPC and 8 cores then it'll be the one to get. Intel are throwing away die space on an iGPU that any self respecting i7 owner would never use.
    BOO INTEL BOO.
    @ruantec likes this.
  12. @ruantec

Yeah, the CPU sector is moving in slow-motion as it seems like they hit the wall pretty much and advance isn't what it used to be in the past. I may get the 6600k for the good value and do something i usually don't like to do and that's overclocking as i have heard some great results with that CPU.

I have few problems with AMD and their promises as they mostly fall down flat after release. That alongside the fact that we don't even know when Zen is gonna be released and my little trust in AMD surely hold me back putting my money on a AMD product. I totally agree about Intel though but they are the only ones offering at least something competitive in comparison to AMD current offerings.

From the looks of it i guess Zen is releasing somewhere in 2017 which are many months still and we don't even know if that architecture beats the Intel offerings which is sad.
  13. Kaizen

Kaizen Yes Award Winner!

Congrats on the 1080, amazing card

Anti AMD rant below:
    Show Spoiler

Did any of you guys browse xtreme systems forums back then before bulldozers release?

There was a user speaking up the truth about bulldozer in the speculation threads using common sense called terrace.
    Terrace was explaining why bulldozer would have lower ipc than phenom 2 and the AMD representative JF-AMD would repeatedly spew crap about ipc increases.

Users mocked him, he got repeatedly banned and all because an official AMD rep was outright lying through his teeth specifically stating bulldozer would increase the ipc.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums...51fca157df5a&p=4531936&viewfull=1#post4531936
    Click the above link for some history.

pepperidge farm remembers.PNG

I haven't forgotten the AMD lies just like I haven't forgotten microsoft trying to rape the consumer.
    Zen I expect will have speed between sandy bridge-haswell but with 8c/16t smt and a clockspeed of 3ghz plus.

It would be like having an 8 core i7 within the next 12 months and that excites me more than kaby lake
  14. snickothemule

Zen has some very exciting prospects, especially with their 32 core monsters for servers. With IPC sitting between sandy and haswell that is some bloody good performance for gamers, and while it won't win synthetics (lmao at synthetics) the potential for real world use sounds delicious.
  15. @ruantec

For those interested... i did some quick Benchmarks and stress test to see how my Setup perform and i'm very impressed. First of all the AIO cooling solution is awesome and even while performing those stress Tests and Benchmark the temperature never go over 45°c which is awesome and mostly stay at 40-42 while running and go to 36 almost immediatly after i closed the test. The 1080 during stress Tests go up to 80°c and if you put your finger on the back the hot air could burn your finger lol. Overall the Performance is stellar i have to say and i'm very happy so far. If i get some free time this week i will do some more Tests.

Also i would like to mention the gpu as well as cpu fan never get louder. They do make some noise but during stress Tests it always stays the same while the temperature go up and then stay constant at 45°c and 80°c for the gpu. I remember my GTX 970 turning into a turbine while gaming which isn't the case with this setup.

Definitely the perfect setup for the living room.
    P60801-215725.jpg
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2016
    snickothemule likes this.
  16. snickothemule

Nice. Modern AIO solutions are quite good, especially for maintenance and cable routing. Definitely look into overclocking, it's painfully easy these days, very hard to hurt the CPU and the added performance is delicious.

All I can suggest for longer term maintenance and air flow is to take some time and finalize cable management, it might be a bit of a pain, but having your cables routed behind the rear panel should help keep your machine in good condition and reduce headaches for cleaning later on.
  17. @ruantec

Thanks for the suggestion bro but i always do cable management :) on that picture you can just see the quick built to see if everything is working. I keep it open until i finish all tests but closed the tower to make stress tests.
    snickothemule likes this.
  18. snickothemule

[​IMG]

Also I didn't pay attention before but very nice choice of SSD. I can't believe how much they've come down in price, getting 480gb storage doesn't feel awful anymore.
  19. @ruantec

Yeah, i don't buy SSD with high capacity though since i have a really good and fast 4TB HDD for my gaming needs. It's visible on the pic i attached.
  20. Strike105X

Strike105X ヒットハード&高速 Award Winner!

Personally if money isn't a problem i would go with Intel, i wouldn't go with AMD unless i have a some budget constraints. As for waiting or not, well its really up to you there are pros and cons to both. Though usually its not good to jump and new hardware just as its released, its better to see how it holds up first imho.
  21. @ruantec

Thank you for the reply bro but i already purchased the parts XD so i went for Intel :p