ATI/OpenGL driver issue

Discussion in 'Problems with Games' started by 22point8, Mar 15, 2008.

1. 22point8

22point8 New Member

2. NGEmu.com Advertisement

3. Mako Eyes

Mako Eyes Refrigerate after opening

I don't understand where these problems are coming from. I can't say I have even come remotely close to such issues using WindowsXP. My X800 runs OGL2 plugins flawlessly using Omega's drivers.
  4. 22point8

22point8 New Member

Mako Eyes, can you post a screenshot of your [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\OpenGLDrivers\ati2dvag] folder because I had to manually create mine for OpenGL extension viewer to recognise the ICD.
  5. jonc2006

jonc2006 God of Douchebagness™

from what i understand it seems to be the catalyst drivers that are at fault.
  6. Clements

Clements Active Member

I have exactly the same issue, so I just use Pete's D3D plugins and it works fine. ATI ought to get the drivers sorted anyway.
  7. jonc2006

i wouldnt hold my breath. ive talked to several people who have attempted to get them to do something about this and they have told me they were completely ignored.

edit- and i would imagine there has been a decent amount of other people complaining because (and anyone can correct me if im wrong here because like i said before, im just going off the large amount of talk and what i have heard/read about this) this isnt limited to the OGL plugins, apparently it affects other OGL applications, so they cant use the "not important enough" cop-out.
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2008
  8. Mako Eyes

Here you go. I did absolutely no manual editing. Actually, I haven't even tried using ATi's factory drivers with ePSXe.
  9. Degeon

Degeon Bringer of Darkness

I suggest making a petition for Ati, bringing all the evidence we have about these problems that connects them to Ati drivers, and see what they do with it. I'll sign :D(I have these problems too)
  10. jonc2006

good luck on that one.
  11. 22point8

22point8 New Member

Thanks Mako Eyes, thats exactly what I have except I had to change atioglxx to atio6axx because I'm on Vista x64. Degeon, see if you have that registry entry, I had to add it manually it enabled the ICD but not hardware acceleration.
  12. jonc2006

so you have found a fix for this issue? lol ATI owes you fools a job.
  13. 22point8

22point8 New Member

Only a partial fix, look at one of the screenshots in my first post from PC Wizard 2008 v1.84 you'll see that I have no OpenGL hardware acceleration ("software, no"), I believe Degeon can confirm this too. However, on my other computer (P4 Northwood 2.66ghz, 1gb ram, Nvidia FX5200 AGP) it says "hardware, yes".

You're lucky Mako Eyes, see this: AMD Game Forums - OpenGL with a Radeon X800xt on Vista
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2008
  14. Degeon

yes, PC Wizard Shows Software acceleration as well...
    hhmmm, I have atioglx2.dll in the value, but im talking XP-ish most of the time. Ati drivers for XP and Vista are "radicaly" different. should I leave it at that?
  15. 22point8

22point8 New Member

ATi are false advertsing Radeon™ X1600 Series - GPU Specifications

16. jonc2006

i suppose you could sort of say that. but this seems to be more of a driver issue than it is a card model issue. i believe the cards themselves are *capable* of supporting OGL fully, its just their drivers that have the ****ty support.
  17. Mako Eyes

Haha, zing.

Am I? Like I said, I never use ATi's factory drivers and I'm running Windows XP. Whether or not these problems will occur on my machine when running on Catalyst drivers and/or Vista is yet to be determined.
  18. jonc2006

from what i have heard its just the catalyst drivers. i imagine if you were to test some out you would run into this.
  19. 22point8

22point8 New Member

I don't know if anyone knew this, but ATi covered up (didn't mention in known issues or knowledge base) that AGP cards were broken (no Direct3D/hardware video decoding) from Catalyst 7.8 to 8.1 hotfix, I think the OMEGA drivers still worked.
  20. PCXL-Fan

PCXL-Fan Heroes Might& Magic Champ Award Winner!

Go start a class action lawsuit against them.
  21. Degeon

If I remember correctly Omega's didn't work for me either... I'll wait for a newer driver because his last one is 7-12 me thinks...

It is really weird that the Ati drivers causes these sort of things. I know that they are main suspects in this case but we have to keep an open mind and check other leads as well.
    i have a few ideas for "experimentation" to try and isolate the problem
    1) Have anyone who have experienced the problem tried using a different VGA and/or main board?

I have tried using an Ati HD 2600 for testing, but it doesn't count(and, obviously, it didn't work)
    if possible, we need someone to test it on an Nvidia card and/or replaced main board(with the same model).
    if someone replaces something, and the problem appears or disappears any info would be value
    Main board:(new/old model and revision if possible), New and old Bios vr. PCI-E or AGP(new vs. Old)
    VGA: Compeny(Asus Radeon/nNvidia for example) suffix(GTO, XT etc.) drivers(Official,Omega's. witch vr?)

2)also, if someone who suffer from these could provide evidence on the absence of the problem on Omega drivers and the registry value 22point8 has aforementioned?(For xp and Vista)

3)the same (question nu. 2) applies with someone who hasn't experienced the problem and we'll need the registry values of the Ati factory Drivers and Omega Driver's Value as well (For XP and Vista)

4) don't we need to name this phenomena?
    I say the Triangles of Doom! :p

anyway, I know this may be difficult to accomplish but if more and more people would volunteer to help we may be able to prove/dispute our claim about the drivers. and maybe to find a solution on our own(As Ati, doesn't really care, apparently)
    Since I have both Xp and Vista, I'll try Omega Drivers on both OS's.
    speaking of vista, did Omega solved the Driver signing problem on Vista x64? normally that OS is designed to allow the installation of Signed drivers only(witch is secure, but may cause problems on some hardware manifacturers)
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2008