ATi Vs Nvidia (2015)

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion' started by SCHUMI_4EVER, Mar 27, 2012.

?

AMD Radeon or nVidia GeForce?

1. AMD Radeon FTW!

48.0%
  2. nVidia GeForce all the way!

48.0%
  3. Screw them both, Intel HD graphics are like the best GPU ever!

4.0%
  1. Xtreme2damax

Xtreme2damax Mr. Technological Staff Member Moderator

I plan on upgrading other components at some point. Just that I can't justify dropping that much money to upgrade everything at once. When I get around to upgrading everything else I'm looking to game in 4K.
  2. Thanakil

Thanakil NGemu Award Winner Award Winner!

An interesting picture:
    [​IMG]

For people wondering: the switch for some cards is totally legit. Here's 2013:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Here's 2016:
    https://tpucdn.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GeForce_GTX_1080/images/perfrel_1920_1080.png
    The 280x went from matching/losing to the 770 to matching the 780.
    Edit: And the Fury X matching the 980ti at 1440p:
    https://tpucdn.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GeForce_GTX_1080/images/perfrel_2560_1440.png

People are saying that this is the result of AMD getting into the consoles (developers making better use of GCN than before) and the result of their architecture being good at alternating between graphics and compute. This is supposedly good for the future.
    Last edited: May 22, 2016
  3. snickothemule

snickothemule brb gonna go fist the world lol Junior Contributor Award Winner!

lmao

nvidia doesn't have the budget to keep their older hardware in check, if it works fuck it good enough, brb gotta market the shit outta our cards before our competitors hit the market before our cards are junk again.

Their older cards are red headed stepchildren.

also leaks of the 1080ti, supposedly running GDDR5X

http://www.overclock.net/t/1600793/...gtx-1080ti-and-gtx-1060-specifications-leaked

[​IMG]

Show Spoiler
    [​IMG]

Looks like HBM2 is reserved for their $140,000 server boxes.
  4. snickothemule

5. ViperXtreme

ViperXtreme Irregular User Award Winner!

based from raw specs, the 1070 is supposed to be sitting in the titan and 980Ti range (minus the memory bandwidth, in which the 4th delta color compression might help)

980Ti
    Titan X
    Also from videocardz, test of the 1070
    http://videocardz.com/60265/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1070-3dmark-firestrike-benchmarks
    [​IMG]
  6. ViperXtreme

GTX 1080 officially out, board partners introduces their custom boards
  7. ViperXtreme

8. snickothemule

Saw some oz prices, lmao at over 1200 dingo bux for a 1080.

Pascal so far has been a good boost to Maxwell's design philosophy, but not to GPU's in general. A gaming card through and through.
  9. ViperXtreme

Yeah, its more and more like die shrink maxwell.

GTX 1080 FE costs 842 usd in my place.
  10. Thanakil

Those 1070 benchmarks were taken offline. Here's google cache:
    http://webcache.googleusercontent.c...st-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1070-pascal-gamers.html
    http://webcache.googleusercontent.c...st-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1070-pascal-gamers.html

I was also curious at how the new cards handle DX12. I know people don't like looking at Ashes of Singularity and many of the other "DX12 games" only use a small part of it. This article about Total War:Warhammer was interesting tho: http://www.pcgamer.com/total-war-warhammer-benchmarks-strike-fear-into-cpus/
    By the looks of it, AMD remains king in DX12. Maybe the same is true in Vulkan?
    (Maybe this is why Nvidia didn't want Doom to ship with Vulkan before the release of 1070/1080? TINFOIL HAT TIME)

If AMD has something strong in the 300 to 400$ range, I'll likely stay with them. If they don't, I'll pick a 1070. Both Nvidia and AMD have served me surprisingly well, but lately AMD is giving me a bit more value for the same price. I hope this continue and they don't fuck it up.
  11. Lasnap

Lasnap Elven-Dragon Mage

I will be sticking to Nvidia for the foreseeable future because of OpenGL in both Dolphin and PCSX2 AMD is just terrible in that department because of their crappy drivers
  12. ViperXtreme

benchmarks are all over the web now. One thing i noticed is that there are test like this
    pre warm up stage to stabilize the clocks and simulate more actual gaming over time

Also, polaris Radeon RX 480 spotted :O
    Last edited: May 29, 2016
    Silenus likes this.
  13. snickothemule

It's about time reviewers cut the crap and did that, some of these cards get nice and toasty at the end of the bench but "hurr durr perfermernce ser gerrrd rerns so cooool"
  14. ViperXtreme

didn't they do that to r9 290 series? These Fermi Edition premium only cause throttling, hoping the AIB has better cooling and power delivery, for a lower/same price.

Afaik computerbase.de test their cards inside a casing instead of test bench
  15. snickothemule

From what I've seen the initial 200 series AMD blowers were poorly designed and had small ass rear vents which couldn't remove air. nvidia has been sitting on a pretty good vapour chamber cooler for a while, but from what I understand the profiles aren't optimised correctly. Watching one of JayzTwoCents, upping the power target and mildly increasing the fans gets around the throttling issue more or less.

The same thing can be done with the R9 Nano, it throttles pretty hard as it reaches it's designed power target, but keeps pulling back everytime it gets reached. Temperatures are generally still within respectable limits, but the card keeps tricking itself. With some minor adjustments and gently increasing the power limit the cards run well.

---------------------------------------------

I get a bit of a feeling that nvidia are pushing these cards hard right now to beat AMD to the game, cashing in on the thirst for more performance and getting away with it. These cards are flying off the shelves and nvidia are promising to the world that their yields are good. They are making themselves look good in the eyes of shareholders but I think that they can smell blood in the water. AMD aren't going to dethrone them anytime soon, however with their new strategy of targeting the mainstream and getting lower to mid hardware running solid frames ie LoL, Dota 2 and other esports games (the really popular ones) at 1080p with smooth ass frames they are going to cash in on a market that is thriving. nvidia can always try and respond with the 1060 and the derge of cards they have on the horizon, but when it comes down to it AMD have an opportunity to claw some market share back at the bottom end and give a lot of customers some solid value.

Tied in with their increasing production of drivers, Zen reportedly doing very well (again AMD trying to make their shareholders look happy) there's going to be a lot to look out for. I for one are feeling quite excited for what will happen in the coming months. nvidia are pushing hard to capture the upper market with their expensive hardware, they'll make bank to begin with, but since the wider audience doesn't need the power of the sun in a box to drive fully sick hair works which can render the pubes of a bee no worries, and with the notion of the 480 running 1440p Doom in OGL at good frames (possibly dancing near the Fury) THAT is going to be an amazing card.
  16. snickothemule

just lmao at backpack pc
  17. Lasnap

Lasnap Elven-Dragon Mage

Those backpack pcs are mainly for VR so your only going to get like an hour maybe 2 out of them before it needs recharging. SO yeah I won't be getting one personally
  18. Thanakil

The r9 480 was announced for 200$, with raw numbers apparently putting it around the 390/390x.
    Quick math says the card has 80% *on average* the performance of the 1070 for 60% of the price. (Assuming the 8gb version is around 230-240$)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

They mentioned cards going from 100 to 300$, but for now they only showcased this one. Not quite a 1070 competitor just yet.
    Last edited: May 31, 2016
    snickothemule likes this.
  19. snickothemule

Jesus Raji dropping cards like he don't give a fuck.

$199 is huge if I didn't already upgrade I'd be happy to run this over a 760.

Hearing about Doom and Vulkan is very delicious.

[​IMG]

That is a tiny card. 6 pin is cute. If this thing is quiet it might do well for my HTPC, 760 hums a bit too loudly. My shitty corsair AIO fans do far worse, but for the power consumption this looks like a very solid card. A good partner cooler could make this thing even shorter.
    Last edited: May 31, 2016
  20. Yeloazndevil

Yeloazndevil Administrator Staff Member

they should price the 8GB version at $250 to mess with nvidia