ATi Vs Nvidia (2015)

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion' started by SCHUMI_4EVER, Mar 27, 2012.

?

AMD Radeon or nVidia GeForce?

1. AMD Radeon FTW!

45.8%
  2. nVidia GeForce all the way!

50.0%
  3. Screw them both, Intel HD graphics are like the best GPU ever!

4.2%
  1. fivefeet8

fivefeet8 &-)---|--< Staff Member

More information about Async compute from Anand:
    http://www.anandtech.com/show/10325/the-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1080-and-1070-founders-edition-review/9

So it seems Pascal will always benefit less from async compute compared to AMD not because it isn't capable of doing it, but more because of other architectural differences. Another way to look at it is: Pascal gets closer to it's theoretical peak performance already with Dx11 so it will benefit less from async compute in Dx12. It also seems performance increases from async compute for Nvidia Pascal will need to be more fine tuned to really benefit from it.
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2016
  2. ViperXtreme

ViperXtreme Irregular User Award Winner!

Seems like it, i mean, AMD had tons of shader cores and thus results to theoretical high floating point performance including the memory bandwidth alone so in ideal scenario, a Fury X should be dominating a 980Ti all the time but we didn't see that till async compute was used, moreso in OpenGL to Vulkan, as looking at OpenGL results, AMD seems a little too low (just bad at openGL perhaps and/or the fact that they are using OpenGL 4.3 vs 4.5 of Nvidia) and thus their mantle based Vulkan shows gains (and now nvidia is using an older version of VUlkan vs AMD), even more is that Vulkan is also using AMD Shader Intrinsics derived from consoles
  3. ViperXtreme

4. Lasnap

Lasnap Elven-Dragon Mage

5. ViperXtreme

Well, they dropped the GeForce GTX name for this one so its just nVidia Titan X
  6. Silenus

Silenus Pilgrim Junior Contributor

This is silly.
  7. koko

koko ! Award Winner!

$1200? lel

I predict the next Titan will cost $1500.
  8. fivefeet8

Titan cards have always held a high premium. And with no competition at the high end from AMD.....o_O
  9. Lasnap

Lasnap Elven-Dragon Mage

Did anyone really use the Geforce GTX when talking about the Titan X?
  10. Thanakil

Thanakil NGemu Award Winner Award Winner!

Nvidia lost a class-action lawsuit, they now have to pay 30$ to every buyer of the 970. This is most likely limited to the US, tho.
  11. Thanakil

I previously shared videos of Doom recorded/streamed with OBS Studio, a free and open software. It was done using AMD VCE, their version of "shadowplay".
    It looks like the developers improved on it further, as OBS Studio was only using an experimental version of it. So, this is a new plugin that contains an incredible amount of settings that can be tweaked + simply offers better performance and quality by default.
    OBS Studio:
    https://obsproject.com/download
    The plugin:
    https://obsproject.com/forum/resources/h264-vce-encoder-amd-media-framework.427/
    snickothemule likes this.
  12. ViperXtreme

Last edited: Jul 31, 2016
  13. Silenus

Silenus Pilgrim Junior Contributor

@Thanakil Speaking of lost cases, I received an email about paypal losing a case or something and some people are eligible for money back. Not sure but I remember I had another account with them that got closed.

Will investigate that.
  14. fivefeet8

Last edited: Aug 1, 2016
  15. Thanakil

For 1300euro, you too can play Witcher 4 at 4K@60fps.
    The new Nvidia Titan X:
    [​IMG]
  16. fivefeet8

Did you mean Witcher 3?
  17. snickothemule

snickothemule brb gonna go fist the world lol Junior Contributor Award Winner!

4k60 hairworks off card is trash gaming was a mistake

Jeeze that AMP Extreme card putting in the work.

Also newegg is telling me there's a class action lawsuit involving the R9 cards, for some reason they've been included in the 970 fiasco and I could be in for 30 bucks :)
  18. Thanakil

I hadn't heard about that, but Newegg apparently published a list with more cards (including both AMD and Nvidia), but then pulled it offline.
    Some people say that it's not unusual for a class-action lawsuit to include a greater range of product to "save time to the court", which could explain why Newegg said the 960 and 980 were also listed (apparently the lawsuit wasn't limited to the VRAM, but also because of the ROPs?).
    But AMD cards being brought into the mix is a bit strange, since we're not talking about different companies.

Looks like my MSI R9 390 LE is actually part of it, so if Newegg is right and this applies to people in Canada too, I could get a part of this. But some people do believe Newegg just made a mistake, as they're the only source for this and they pulled it back.

Here's a copy of the list of cards they said were affected, I can post it here (I was gonna spoiler it for space) as it's too damn long for the forum. It refuses to post the message:
    http://webcache.googleusercontent.c...-action-lawsuit/ &cd=1&hl=en-US&ct=clnk&gl=en
  19. koko

koko ! Award Winner!

It's funny they aren't using Nvidia's tech.
  20. @ruantec

@ruantec Crazy GFX coder Emu Author

Purchasing one day one.....

Show Spoiler

HELL NO!!

Paying such an amount of money just to play games at 4K60fps requires some heavy face slapping if you ask me. Other than the fact that you will still have some frame drops here and there is not worth it unless we get a card that will reach over it. After making some tests with my 1080 at 1440p and 4K i personally don't see much difference with my eyes between 1440p and 4K but see a huge difference between 44fps @4k and rock solid 60fps(with unlocked fps over 70 usually) @1440p.

Now... if you turn off antialias and some other things that normally decrease performance and set the settings to "high" you definitely reach solid 60fps @4K too with a cheaper 1080 card.
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2016