ATi Vs Nvidia (2015)

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion' started by SCHUMI_4EVER, Mar 27, 2012.

?

AMD Radeon or nVidia GeForce?

1. AMD Radeon FTW!

48.0%
  2. nVidia GeForce all the way!

48.0%
  3. Screw them both, Intel HD graphics are like the best GPU ever!

4.0%
  1. Silenus

Silenus Pilgrim Junior Contributor

Did you buy a card on newegg? I thought you were in Australia.
  2. snickothemule

snickothemule brb gonna go fist the world lol Junior Contributor Award Winner!

newegg ship to Australia and have a select number of products locally for free shipping. For my nano, despite there being an $85 shipping rate, the card was still some $200 cheaper. The only downside is the one or two week wait.
  3. Silenus

Silenus Pilgrim Junior Contributor

Damn they ship to Australia but they don't take my credit card from the Caribbean. wtf Newegg.

Even on their ebay storefront they don't take my paypal money saying the funds have to be from USA. I hate that.

I tried many times to buy from them but always had a problem.
    And I don't even ask them to ship here, I have a USA local address that forwards my packages.
  4. Strike105X

Strike105X ヒットハード&高速 Award Winner!

Needs a new thread, i want to change my vote to NVIDIA :p.
  5. Thanakil

Thanakil NGemu Award Winner Award Winner!

A video benchmarking the RX 470, 480, GTX 970 and 1060.
    The RX 470 is a factory OC version from MSI with a custom cooler, the others are all reference at stock speed.
    Overall, the 180$ 470 (slightly oc'ed) is nearly as fast as the 480 and 970.

The 470 beats the 1060 in Ashes of Singularity and matches+beat the 1060 in some scenes of Hitman DX12, and is slightly behind it in other scenes.
  6. DarkSamus

DarkSamus PC game modder Award Winner!

Loving my Gainward GTX 1070 8GB here
  7. Strike105X

Strike105X ヒットハード&高速 Award Winner!

I'm loving my 950 GTX as well, i remember when i struggled to play Wolfenstein the New Order at low with the 6850+FX4300, with my current config i runned Old Blood maxed out at stable 60 FPS, it was surprising to say the least, at least for 1080p gaming it does what i need :3.
  8. DarkSamus

DarkSamus PC game modder Award Winner!

I was running 2x Gainward GTX 770 4GB cards but one of the 2 cards broke down in recent months.
    I got the GTX 1070 because it can beat my GTX 770 performance on a single card.
  9. ViperXtreme

ViperXtreme Irregular User Award Winner!

Our cards are similar heh, except im using Palit Super Jetstream 1070 (parent company of Gainward) Only the fan and shroud are different. It's a massive 3 slot card but is very quiet and cools very well.
  10. Lasnap

Lasnap Elven-Dragon Mage

hmm something like dell 7559 laptop with a full GTX 1060 at the standard price of $800? YES PLEASE

11. Yeloazndevil

Yeloazndevil Administrator Staff Member

12. snickothemule

http://videocardz.com/63700/exclusive-first-details-about-amd-vega10-and-vega20

[​IMG]
  13. Lasnap

Lasnap Elven-Dragon Mage

14. Thanakil

FreeSync without a FreeSync monitor? MAYBE it can be done.

Short version: a software called the Custom Resolution Utility (CRU) was previously used by people to tweak their monitors/resolutions and overclock their monitors/refresh rate. Now, it allows people to fool their systems into thinking they support FreeSync.
    Some users claim it works perfectly. Others claim it works partially. Others claim it doesn't work at all.
    One thing that IS interesting: for users who can make it work at least partially, enabling FreeSync seems to improve frametime when playing video games.
    It's possible that, independent from FreeSync, there is some improvement being done that could later on be applied to everyone/every monitor/every compatible GPU.

Some information here:
    http://www.monitortests.com/forum/Thread-CRU-1-3-preview-P2?page=1
    And some confusing information here:
    http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=410187
    snickothemule likes this.
  15. snickothemule

This is so good.
  16. Thanakil

If you give it a try, share your experience with us. I'm personally unable to get it working for now, I think it's related to the cables I use for my monitor.
    IF I understand this correctly: this currently only works with HDMI. So either you use HDMI, or you use CRU to fool your system into thinking you're using HDMI. But regardless of what you do, your system will only use as much bandwidth as HDMI would normally use.
    This doesn't seem to be compatible with my monitor, which requires more than HDMI (at least, what we typically use as HDMI cables) to run at 144hz. I need the bandwidth of Dual-link DVI or DisplayPort.
    I'll probably be waiting until they make more progress before trying it further.
  17. Thanakil

Silenus likes this.
  18. Thanakil

Nvidia users should be very careful about using the recent drivers. They come with a bunch of issues, some of them limited to a few games, some others being more widespread.
    The biggest issue is video memory speed being stuck at around 800mhz, which obviously leads to poor performance. I believe this is specific to Pascal.
    So this one is for you @Ruantec: wait a while before updating your drivers.
    @ruantec likes this.
  19. @ruantec

@ruantec Crazy GFX coder Emu Author

Thanks bro! sadly I updated my drivers last night but I will make sure to rollback.
  20. Thanakil

AMD's big december update is rumored to be titled Crimson Relive. Supposedly the embargo on them will lift on the 8th of december, so that might be the date on which they'll be released.
    It seems to be focused on adding new features rather than a big jump in performance or stability (those are mainly added progressively through smaller drivers). They do point out a 8% performance increase between the RX 480 being released (drivers 16.6.2) and the present, just so people don't forget performance gets higher with time.

So, the new features:
    Radeon Chill: Saves power by regulating framerate based on your in-game movement. They say that on average, with Chill on, temperature is 13% lower and GPU package power is 31% lower. It remains to be seen if this was implemented without making the game stutter-y. Their explanation makes it seem like this is more complex than simply lowering your GPU clocks to save on power.
    Radeon ReLive: AMD cards previously had support for GPU encoding, and it was pretty good, but they lacked software that made actual use of it. I've tested many before and the best was OBS Studio, which is widely used (it's free and quite useful). ReLive is AMD's answer to the lack of software, their own feature-complete Shadowplay. By the looks of it, it won't be limited to allowing you to record games, it'll also allow you to setup a stream with overlay images, webcam feed, all the stuff streamers need. They say that performance impacts goes up to 3-4% of your FPS. You can "Instant Replay" up to 1 hour in the past and ReLive can appear as an overlay over your games, as an App (to change settings easily).
    Radeon WattMan: Now supports more cards part of the Fury 3xx and 2xx series. Power management tool.
    AMD FreeSync: now supports Windowed Borderless Fullscreen mode. That means those Windows Store games.
    Also: HDR 10 support. DisplayPort HBR3 support. VP9 decode acceleration at 4K 60 Hz support
  21. snickothemule

Radeon Chill sounds like an extrapolation from the compute world, might not be a huge thing for the average gamer, but I guess it's something nice to have, as long as it doesn't introduce performance issues.

The streaming stuff sounds great, it'll make their APU units which are basically out of the box ready for LoL and DoTA very attractive as a gateway to young streamers looking for an easy introduction.