ATi Vs Nvidia (2015)

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion' started by SCHUMI_4EVER, Mar 27, 2012.

?

AMD Radeon or nVidia GeForce?

1. AMD Radeon FTW!

48.0%
  2. nVidia GeForce all the way!

48.0%
  3. Screw them both, Intel HD graphics are like the best GPU ever!

4.0%
  1. Thanakil

Thanakil NGemu Award Winner Award Winner!

"Radeon Chill" might be based on HiAlgo CHILL. AMD bought them almost 6 months ago and HiAlgo previously advertised a similar tech with the same name. It seems to have been developed further since then, as HiAlgo website describes it as DX9 only, while AMD says its compatible with DX9 and DX11 games, with support ranging from Windows 7 to Windows 10.

What's interesting is that they claim that activating Chill can, in some cases, lead to a smoother experience. They tested it with WoW, where the game only rendered half of the frames (going down from around 120 to 60) and it supposedly got smoother (I assume on a 60hz monitor):
    "Decreased 99th percentile display time by 51%"
    [​IMG]

The logic behind it:
    "By not running the game loop as fast as possible at all times, Radeon Chill doesn’t keep the GPU’s queues as full. When Radeon Chill does decide to dispatch a frame, the GPU can be ready and waiting to produce that frame very quickly, with little or no work scheduled ahead of it. As a result, Radeon Chill can sometimes reduce input lag."

How it works, visually:
    [​IMG]

The downside is that this won't be universally supported, it has to be added for each game. Looks like it'll launch with about 18 games supported (looking at the slides), more can/will come in the future. Vulkan and DX12 support is also said to come in the future.
    And then the obvious worry is that games where you often change between slow movement followed by quick movements might not work as well with this. But the 18 games they support contain a lot of variety, so maybe we'll be surprised.

EDIT:
    Guess rumors and release date are confirmed:
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2016
  2. snickothemule

snickothemule brb gonna go fist the world lol Junior Contributor Award Winner!

[​IMG]

--------------

Also just ordered a WX4100 for work, not sure how this will turn out but I'm cautiously optimistic.
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2016
  3. Thanakil

No kidding, those WoW frame times are better than I get at 144fps.
    Playing Path of Exile, capped at 144, I get 6.9 to 7ms. 6.9ms is the expected frame time for 144fps.

Without Chill and while running around 120fps, their test went from around 9 to 12 at the worst. 11 average. That's most likely normal, as 8.3 is whats expected for 120fps and I imagine their FPS varied during gameplay.
    With Chill running around 60fps, they fricking went from 5 to 6 at the worst. 5.6 average. At 60fps, this is better than normal 144fps. NORMAL 60fps is 16.7ms expected.
    That's super good.
    snickothemule likes this.
  4. Thanakil

The drivers have been released. Performance gains across the board for many users (2 to 6% improvement), CPU overhead seems to have been improved, ReLive is working great for me (test video will follow in gameplay thread) BUT....
    It's so buggy. So so buggy. I thought this driver would only be AMD adding new features without any significant complex changes to how the drivers work, but it looks like I was wrong. AMD apparently did some big changes under the hood which is a great sign moving forward, but creates some very unstable drivers. This is a great foundation to build upon, it just needs polishing before it's ready for primetime. But at least we get to play with them for the time being!
  5. Strike105X

Strike105X ヒットハード&高速 Award Winner!

Well ots better than what i got, updating to the latest Nvidia drivers i've noticed a speed decrease in all 3dmark tests i've done, with 2006 having a wooping 2000 points decrease.
  6. Thanakil

Nvidia is telling everyone to update their drivers as vulnerabilities were found in both their Windows and Linux drivers:
    https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4278

"GPU Display Driver Vulnerabilities in the Kernel Layer May Lead to a Denial of Service, Escalation of Privileges, or Both"
  7. Strike105X

Can't update, newer drivers then 368 screw up fo3/fonv/skyrim (classic) and i wouldn't be surprised if it screwed up oblivion to... Getting better results in those games is why i went with them in the first place, im actually almost considering selling it and going back to amd, although I'd like them to fix it...
  8. Thanakil

If you're not worried about those vulnerabilities, you can always wait to see if the next branch of drivers avoid screwing up Bethesda games. We usually see many drivers in November/December because of how many games are released, so you could get lucky. You could also, maybe, try to see if some users are capable (and willing) to mod the drivers you're using to prevent the vulnerabilities. Sometime people share modded drivers, but I think it's usually to run new drivers on old or incompatible hardware. But since Bethesda games are popular, maybe someone would give it a look. I just dont know if that particular task can be done.
  9. Strike105X

Well the only reason i can consider this is because i can sale the card at a similar price to when i got it, that said i do love it, and i dunno if i can go for something better afterwards... So let's hope they get their act together and fix it, they blame it on ms, but as long as it works fine for the red team and intel its on them as far as I'm concerned.
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2016
  10. dpence

dpence New Member

recently got a gtx 950 (Supposedly on par with my r7 265 and was cheap) got it for emulation mostly since NVidia supposedly has better opengl support... gotta say though... anyone that says ati drivers are bad haven't used NVidia's later ones.. from the "GeForce experience" tot he drivers themselves, it's nothing but a bug fest...memory leaks included...firefox will go black screen, lose icons, etc (Never happened with the ati card). Switching from say ps4 back to PC through the 5.1 receiver's switch, the GeForce card doesn't always recover/resync and just leaves a black screen. I won't even get into how annoying the "Geforce experience" is... even down tot he needless corner icons it puts on the screen during gameplay. Then to top it all off, the opengl support is no better, in fact I think emu's run a bit slower
  11. Strike105X

Have a 950 gtx as well, as far as i know 373 is the latest actually decent driver they released, I'm personally on 368 for properly working Bethesda games. Now that AMD has their own version of shadow play it really doesn't matter anymore my next purchase will only depend on who has the best performance for my money. That's why i don't regret getting this Asus strix 950, it was a steal value wise, and i do love how high the clocks go. Its working great. Oh yeah regarding opengl at least on the drivers i mentioned i had no problems. Edit: i also use hosts to block gf experience updates.
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2016
  12. Lasnap

Lasnap Elven-Dragon Mage

I personally use the latest V2 of GFE works perfectly for Moonlight
  13. Thanakil

A quick preview of AMD Vega:
  14. Strike105X

Hope Vega does well, as for the video i will wait for something more official, i stopped watching his vids or going around linustechtips forums...
  15. Thanakil

A website decided to test to see if AMD drivers/cards did age like "fine wine", a term often used to talk about how AMD cards get better performance over time. They tested both AMD and Nvidia.
    The short version: when looking at drivers starting in mid-2015 all the way to early 2017, AMD cards gained approximately 4 to 6% in performance. Nothing major, a small bump.
    For Nvidia, it was no improvements on some games, a 3% improvements in others. Once again, nothing major.
    Overall, AMD does get more small improvements over time than Nvidia does. But it's not a 10 or 20% increase over 2 years. And for Nvidia, it hopefully dispels the notion that newer drivers make their cards run worse to sell newer cards to gamers. Both AMD and Nvidia also see a big boost in Doom/Vulkan, it's nice to see they're working on it.

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2017/01/30/amd_video_card_driver_performance_review_fine_wine/1
    http://www.hardocp.com/article/2017/02/08/nvidia_video_card_driver_performance_review/1
    Lasnap likes this.
  16. Squall-Leonh@rt

Squall-Leonh@rt Maybe I'm a Lion

Vega is dead card walking.

its going to eat power, run hot and still not out perform the incoming volta chips.
  17. Strike105X

I see your dislike for amd cards is as passionate as ever :p.
  18. Thanakil

Nah, that's just AMD's new strategy. Release a line of cards with 3 big flaws and no qualities.
    It's never been attempted before, they might be able to reach an untapped market.
    Strike105X likes this.
  19. Lasnap

Lasnap Elven-Dragon Mage

There's a name I have NOT seen in forever on here
  20. dpence

dpence New Member

I went back to my r7 265... the 950 just wasn't cutting it...even with the drivers you mentioned it was still laggy and buggy... heck I'd even lose parts of the browser window (blacked out) randomly, no issues with the r7 plus the r7 runs epsxe perfectly, the 950 would have huge framerate drops...Crash bandicoot would go from 60 fps to 38 fps on some scenes.. the r7 is a steady 60
  21. Strike105X

I went with an RX 480 myself, was getting sick of gfe and it had a lot of frametime issues, the only thing which it did right, or better was opengl in pcsx2... Selling of mine...