ATi Vs Nvidia (2015)

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion' started by SCHUMI_4EVER, Mar 27, 2012.

?

AMD Radeon or nVidia GeForce?

1. AMD Radeon FTW!

48.0%
  2. nVidia GeForce all the way!

48.0%
  3. Screw them both, Intel HD graphics are like the best GPU ever!

4.0%
  1. Yeloazndevil

Yeloazndevil Administrator Staff Member

its not like you are forced to use GFE, I for one have never used it even once

well ogl has always been better on nvidia, just use D3D :p
  2. Strike105X

Strike105X ヒットハード&高速 Award Winner!

I know your not exactly forced but shadow play was one of its selling points.... Also on pcsx2 not even d3d is that great, it seems that pcsx2 is pretty well optimized for Nvidia, not that it matters much, I'll just use my ps2 if i want to play something.
  3. Yeloazndevil

Yeloazndevil Administrator Staff Member

OGL and DX11 are pretty much neck to neck in performance with OGL just being more accurate.

if all you wanted is the hardware encode that shadowplay provides, OBS is the best alternative.
  4. Strike105X

I tried it but it didn't work right for me the video captures using the nv codec where not smooth at all... And like i said in pcsx2 there's quite a difference between Nvidia and amd, dunno why but it seems that overall it favors Nvidia more, got better performance in both dx11 (opengl was a huge one), from my 950 then the rx480 I'm currently using.
  5. Thanakil

Thanakil NGemu Award Winner Award Winner!

I don't know the way shadowplay works, but I've seen people say that OBS doesn't fully utilize NVENC the way shadowplay does. Supposedly none of the third-party software has as deep an access to NVENC as shadowplay, which will make any non-shadowplay version of NVENC weaker.

There's some confusing/conflicting information. Apparently, Shadowplay does better by using NVFBC (Frame Buffer Capture) and NVIFR (Inband Frame Readback), while third-party software doesn't have access to it. It's said that they USED to have access to it, but Nvidia blocked it off in 2014. With that said, it seems they still give access to it in special cases, as they gave access to Steam for in-home streaming and they have a page saying people can request access to it by email. With that said, I've currently only read of Steam using it. So maybe OBS could get access to it if they asked, but I would imagine they (and other recording tools) have asked before.

All that to say you're right that OBS Studio is probably the best alternative, but I'd add it's not an equivalent alternative.
  6. dpence

dpence New Member

hmmm... opengl with my r7 265 and the 950 was about the same on pcsx2 for me...I noticed no framerate differences...some games had issues, but that was true of the game and not opengl...most that run well run at full framerate for me with opengl. and if they get the buffer issue with dx 11 fixed, so a game like maximo can run without the shadow covering the screen. they would, be on par with each other. Of course if they do a Vulcan plugin, opengl will be irrelevant anyway
  7. Strike105X

I admit i only tested one game, zone of enders the second runner
  8. Squall-Leonh@rt

Squall-Leonh@rt Maybe I'm a Lion

OBS requires configuration where shadowplay is preconfigured (and requires 25Mbit minimum upload)
  9. Strike105X

Im mainly referring to the local recording aspect of it.
  10. Lasnap

Lasnap Elven-Dragon Mage

I still use GFE v2 for moonlight to my phone and laptop. Laptop uses the Moonlight Chrome extension right now. Seems to be have better for me than Steams in home streaming for some reason.
  11. Squall-Leonh@rt

thats gunna come down to your cpu really. bit more involved in encoding to a hdd than there is transcoding to a stream.
  12. Strike105X

Considering i have better results with CPU recording, or that no other recording
    Software struggles with the hdd, not even fraps,I really don't think that's either.
  13. Squall-Leonh@rt

you're forgetting that amd's sata drivers are cpu heavy (for unknown reasons)

https://community.amd.com/thread/180403
  14. Strike105X

I'm familiar with that, plagued amd drivers since the 7xx chipset era, they release a few good ones especially at first then later on they screw it like that in an update every so ofteb, but as I said CPU and fraps recordings do not have problems, plus i was on Windows 10 and i can easily identify that issue, i assure you that was not it, as i always test my sata drivers for that issue before using them.
  15. Thanakil

Thanakil NGemu Award Winner Award Winner!

Looks like the AMD 500 line is coming out in a few days. There'll be the 550, the 560, the 570 and the 580.
    People seem to believe it'll still be Polaris, not Vega.

The 550 is a mini-GPU with a single fan. Mainly used to get 60fps in games that are not demanding, such as counter-strike, dota and overwatch.
    The 560 is apparently aimed at 1080p gaming. They claim it has twice the performance of the 360.
    The 570 is apparently 2.4x stronger than the 370.

And then there's the 580, which will be the biggest card of the pack, but not that big relative to others. If a game runs at 60fps on the Nvidia 970, it'll run around 77 fps on the 580.
    It looks like the card will offer performance close to the Fury, but that's about it. Looks like it'll be a good card for pimped out 1080p or high quality 1440p, but not a competitor for the 1070 or 1080. We'll most likely need to wait for Vega and a 590 before we get this, and I'm a bit disappointed Vega is still farther away. With that said, if the price on those cards is competitive, they remain a great way to keep gaming affordable for everyone. Hell, they're releasing a card that is faster than what I own (a 390), so it's not like progress isn't being made.
  16. Kaizen

Kaizen Yes Award Winner!

AMD suck at marketing. They have waisted 3 nights of my life with their no info events.

At least nVidia show graphics demos at their release events