BattleField 3

Discussion in 'PC Games Screenshots' started by ViperXtreme, Sep 29, 2011.

1. ViperXtreme

ViperXtreme Irregular User Award Winner!

Just tryin out the beta, not much screenie for now '__'
    Have yet to install the nvidia BF3 beta drivers

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2011
  2. NGEmu.com Advertisement

3. Princess Garnet

Princess Garnet From Love and Limerence

Hmm, I must admit my change of heart and say I'm not a fan of non-wide aspect ratios with modern games much more these days. It looks like you lost some FOV, which is odd since you have it set to 70 (I guess it defaults to 70 for everyone?), and I thought having a set FOV would... give you a set and constant FOV regardless of aspect ratio, and that it'd just look more squished/anemic at the more narrow FOV resolutions (such as 4:3 and 5:4). I mean, the gun in your first screenshot sort of does a little anemic, but I'm not sure if that's how it normally looks. It does look like you have less FOV though, so maybe it's normal. I haven't played with that setting to see how it behaves.

On the plus side, it helps you get better settings/performance out of it. Lower resolution and lower FOV helps lower the demand immensely.

Anyway, those are nice screenshots. I presume they are from the larger 64 player vehicle map? I haven't tried that one. I figure I'll wait until it (hopefully) goes public.

By the way, as a few notes to anyone in general; I've heard that the Ultra settings are said to not all work (not all are implemented, and will act as either High or the last thing it was set to; not sure which). Also, you need to restart the game for some to take effect. It's disappointing how you can't adjust this stuff unless you are deployed (in-game), but alas.
  4. Thanakil

Thanakil Wheee Award Winner!

His screenshots are actually both from the 32 players map, from the first and second phase. (Outdoor at the beginning and then tunnel at the entrance of the metro).

Also I've heard about the Ultra rumor, but since it's been started by a very random website (and then players took that rumor and ran with it) I'd recommend to take it with a grain of salt. DICE has confirmed that they have quite a few optimizations that will be in the final build of the game, but nothing on better graphics.
    Not to say it can't happen, it's quite possible they have additional settings that aren't in the game due to poor current optimization, but the source just isn't very credible and it kinda sounds like wishful thinking at the moment.

As for settings requiring a restart : Yeah, that really sucks. They've said that in the final build you will only need to restart for textures tho, everything else should change in-game.

Here are two screenshots from the big map. A jet in the air, and a destroyed jet on the ground (while in a tank).
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And now various screens from operation metro.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And a screen from the afterlife (go toward the light!)
    [​IMG]
  5. Mad

Mad AKA snkmad

I pre-ordered and being playing since 27th.
    It looks like it's gonna be huge, but right now i have too many disconnects and crashes.
    Hope they can address it soon.
  6. Silenus

Silenus Pilgrim Junior Contributor

FPS have come a long way on graphics and realism.
  7. Thanakil

They took down the Caspian Border servers. Sucks.

Also I see more and more people talking about the game only having medium/high graphic settings in the beta.
    Still no source at all tho, could be that there's a reason why everyone says it (it's not impossible that they didn't include all settings) or the rumor is just reaching more players.
    Either way, wouldn't be a bad thing if it was true, I just hope it doesn't affect the game badly if it turns out to be untrue and players get disappointed.
  8. Phil

Phil 339.9 Award Winner!

Even though I am not into this, I will pick it up.
  9. SCHUMI_4EVER

SCHUMI_4EVER Hackin 'n Slashin Staff Member Award Winner!

Frostbite 2 looks awesome. I'd love to see a non-The Run racing game with this engine (perhaps Hot Pursuit 2012 ;P)
  10. Net_Bastard

Net_Bastard Member

I was one of the last people to get on a Caspian Border server. I feel awesome. Didn't get to pilot a jet though. But here's a video if anyone would like to see what the map is like: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dgz3mR6XLdc
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2011
  11. Thanakil

Caspian Border servers will be brought back for the weekend, as a final stress test. So now's everyone chance to give them a try.
    (Fair warning : Will probably lag like hell.)
  12. snickothemule

snickothemule I could kill a building. Junior Contributor Award Winner!

Played a bit of the single player tonight, man the game looks glorious, the action is pretty straight forward military shooter with enough videogame elements to keep it entertaining. It's not my favourite type of game, but I wanted to try the engine out.

These screens are with everything set to ultra and 4xmsaa or whatever it is. Game predominately runs smooth enough, with only a slight hitch here and there when entering a new area, after that it's great.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
  13. SCHUMI_4EVER

Do you reckon it would be worth getting just for the single player?
  14. snickothemule

I don't know, I've only really played the first mission.

As an FPS it's got it's bases covered, it gets intense in firefights and when you hit a dude, he goes down. Hard. I've heard the campaign isn't very long, and playing the game without the visual flair that this game carries, I can't exactly say for sure if its worth spending the money now on the game. Playing it to see how fancy Frostbite 2.0 is how I intend to keep interested and seeing the game through.

If you were into multiplayer, or if there were AI bots it would be a pretty sweet deal, if you can get the game for very cheap, like 20 bucks or so it might be worth it for the single player. I remember Noja being unimpressed with the single player and from what I've seen it's got okay short set piece/scripted action events, however like modern military shooters, it holds your hand where to go and doesn't let you think for yourself outside of spotting a dude on screen to shoot.

I hope the game loosens the reigns a bit on following missions, but I'm not holding my breath.
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2012
  15. SCHUMI_4EVER

If there were AI bots I would have bought the game immediately.

Anyways I thought you'd already played a lot further.

You can let me know again whether you think the single player is worth getting the game (ignoring multiplayer completely in other words) once you do finish.

And I'd definitely way anyways till the game hits the bargain bin.
  16. Thanakil

I wouldn't recommend the game for SP only, unless it's being sold for 10$.

It has a few good moments (some missions as a Russian gave the player more freedom and were more fun than the rest) but overall it's pretty short and serves mostly as a introduction to the basic mechanics of the game, so players can move on to multiplayer.
  17. SCHUMI_4EVER

Ah, I'll just give the game a skip as originally planned then.
  18. snickothemule

Night time sections are pretty, although the combat sections are so incredibly short. The physics engine is pretty sweet, although I threw a grenade and sent a dude flying through the air which was utterly hilarious. In the shot with the green flare, he looks like a shooting star. The most annoying thing about this game is the crap that gets stuck to the lens, it obscures so much of the action, for trying to force the immersion of being actually there it really gets in the way of having fun. I just wish I knew if there was a wipe your damn glasses button.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]