Best CD-R Brands

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion' started by The General, Sep 19, 2007.

1. The General

The General " U2K Tha Greate$t "

What are some of the top CD-R brands, i was thinking about buying TDK, but is that good. Memorex does'nt seem to be one of the top brands, which i am using right now.
  2. NGEmu.com Advertisement

3. makotech222

makotech222 The one and only

hmm not really any difference... i moved to burning dvds now. its a heck of a lot better. its only like $50 for a decent dvd burner
  4. TheCloudOfSmoke

TheCloudOfSmoke Menthol Flavored Junior Contributor Award Winner!

What's the best DVD+R brands out that are good for burning movie backups that are compatable and work on most standard DVD Players that are new and old. I had some orange HP brand DVD+R discs that worked really well on my older player but other disc brands didn't. Anyone know of any really reliable brands that have the best compatibility?
  5. hamoood

hamoood New Member

IMATION not bad :)
  6. Cid Highwind

Cid Highwind The Hunter

I've been using TDK CDrs for ages now and they never disappointed me. I've had bad experiences with Fuji and Philips, which both started to rot soonish. I also had some Sonys which were quality discs as well, but you can't go wrong with TDK, a very solid brand when it comes to media. They used to have the best cassette tapes as well along with Sony.
  7. The General

The General " U2K Tha Greate$t "

I guess i will try out TDK.

Hey, CID, whats that about bleemcast in our sig?
    Did you find a way to edit the source code for bleemcast blue , so we can finally save games or something, and you did you quit the project???????

Just curious haha.
  8. Galway no Sora

Galway no Sora ~¤ PanZeR ¤~ idRO Thor Translator

From many CDRs I've tried, some of them have a very good quality. Verbatim, TDK, GTPro and Melody Black Diamond. For Audio I prefer Melody Black Diamond since it's been 7 years and it still rocks for the sound quality (others have fungus in the audio tracks).
  9. ElijahTW

ElijahTW Need more coffee. Award Winner!

DVD-R (Minus R) are more compatible than Plus R type.
  10. Cid Highwind

Cid Highwind The Hunter

If you've seen some pictures of my console, it's got a Bleemcast sticker on it (thanks randy :D), so I dubbed it my Bleemcast. However, last week the console seemed to have died, at least it isn't capable of playing games anymore because it keeps resetting itself.
  11. Hard core Rikki

Hard core Rikki Super Moderator Staff Member Award Winner!

This needs a serious clarification

For long-term archiving ist best to use the highest quality discs possible. These have undergone rigorous testing and generaly have a guarantee of how long they will playback for. I would suggest the following brands that rank VERY HIGH in quality, reliability and longterm archival safety, and are worth buying, for they surely bring no gambling in file backups ;) :

DVD Media: Verbatim, TDK
    CD Media: Taiyo Yuden, Verbatim (actually its Tayo Yuden, just sold under brand Verbatim), TDK

Of course, the DVD+ versions of them are even more reliable, as they have about 10 times more resilience to scratches and failures, compared to DVD- wich literally has about the same lousy error resilience as CD's, which basically makes DVD- just a Cd with increased storage capacity.
  12. makotech222

makotech222 The one and only

is that really the diffference between dvd+ and dvd-? i never knew that.
  13. Yeloazndevil

Yeloazndevil Touka <3 Staff Member

hardly any major difference between - and +. + has a better error management system so you get an accurate burn also a bit more space (not much)than - and with + you can change the booktype to DVD-ROM for more compatibilty. Rikki DVD+R's can get just as messed up as DVD-R's with scratches also cd/dvd media can only last long if you store them right

for cd-r : Tayo yuden (japanese company that made the first recordable cd too), Ritek, and TDK
    for DVD-/+R - from my experience RiDATA / RiTEK, Tayo yuden, Sony, Verbatim, Fuji and Mawell are good (mostly because some of them are Tayo Yuden). worst brand ever for it is Memorex.

if You want to get the exact good media you need to look at the media codes there are a few fakes on the market that are really horrible

Blank Media - Club CD Freaks - Worlds Largest CD/DVD Community - this should help answer any questions you have too
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2007
  14. emwearz

emwearz <font color="#FF0080"><b>Moderator<font color="#AA Award Winner!

I have used TDK for quite a long while and never had issues in anyway, I was told awhile ago to try Verbatim, so I did and I had issues with my homemade movies skipping and jumping on my dvd player so I never bought them again, my advice is get some TDK there great. RiTEK are also not that bad, I have used them at random times and they work fairly well.
  15. Yeloazndevil

sounds like you got crappy Verbatims..companies do release blank media regardless of quality sometimes :p
  16. skoreanime

skoreanime Your resident reaper... Junior Contributor

Aye, Verbatims are garbage. I used to buy them a lot years ago because they were cheap...not a good idea :p. The DVD-Rs I buy nowadays are some no name brand, the spindle isn't labeled and the disc is completely blank. They're good though, I have yet to encounter anything negative about them.
  17. OminaeYu

OminaeYu Spriggan

Download The Official ImgBurn Website and it should tell you who made the disc :thumb:
  18. Yeloazndevil

19. Hard core Rikki

Hard core Rikki Super Moderator Staff Member Award Winner!

20. cowfez

cowfez Member

O.K. So, I've got DVD Identifier, I've identified my disc. Now what? I still don't know anything more than I did before, other than the disc manufacturer.

Edit: Nevermind. Found the more info button.
  21. BlckCrw7

BlckCrw7 Lionheart

Hey Guys,

I see u say TDK is the best, what about for psx backups is this still the case?
    i am currently using SKC 52x CD-R and have had some problems