Best graphics plugin and setup for FF7?

Discussion in 'ePSXe Discussion' started by Shadow-Flare, Oct 15, 2008.

1. Shadow-Flare

Shadow-Flare New Member

As the title says, anyone know what the best graphics plugin and settings for FF7 is?
  2. NGEmu.com Advertisement

3. jonc2006

jonc2006 God of Douchebagness™

post your system specs and plugin setup/configs.
  4. Shadow-Flare

Shadow-Flare New Member

I'm afraid I'm far too lazy to give out my full specs, its a very high end pc and it runs under 8800gtx tri-sli Vista Ultimate and I have 8 GBs of high end ram. I use Pete's D3D Drive 1.77 setup is as follows -

Plugin: Pete's D3D Driver 1.1.77
    Author: Pete Bernert
    GFX card: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTX

Resolution/Color:
    - 1024x768 Fullscreen - [32 Bit]

Textures:
    - R8G8A8A8
    - Filtering: 6
    - Hi-Res textures: 2
    - VRam size: 0 MBytes

Framerate:
    - FPS limit: off
    - Frame skipping: off
    - FPS limit: Auto

Compatibility:
    - Offscreen drawing: 3
    - Framebuffer texture: 2
    - Framebuffer access: 0
    - Alpha multipass: on
    - Mask bit: on
    - Advanced blending: hardware

Misc:
    - Scanlines: off [0]
    - Unfiltered FB: off
    - Dithering: on
    - Screen smoothing: on
    - Full vram: off
    - Game fixes: off [00000000]
  5. jonc2006

if you have a system like that then you can use the OGL2 plugin, which has the most graphic-enhancing features/possibilities. with FF7 it is best to leave the high res texture and texture filtering settings alone as it usually causes artifacts to appear (colored lines all over the place). texture filtering can be used with FF7, but only specific types for most people. i usually recommend setting the texture filtering level to either 0, which means no filtering is done, or 4, which looks pretty good but it avoids the issue i just mentioned.

what really alters the appearance of the game, or any game for that matter, is the custom shader effects that can be used with the OGL2 plugin. as to what shaders to use- these are something you are just going to have to play around with yourself until you find something you like because there are alot of different shaders out there and what looks good and what doesnt is really a personal preference sort of thing.

i also suggest reading over the threads that are listed here. imo epsxe can be difficult at first for new users to get it working the way they want to so, its imperative that you read as much as you can so you have a better idea of how this emulator works.

one other thing- if you are using a multi-core cpu you need to set the affinity to one core. this was fixed in 1.7.0 but if you are using 1.5.2 or 1.6.0 you need to make sure you do this because it will generally screw up the performance if it is running under multiple cores.
  6. Shadow-Flare

Shadow-Flare New Member

Thanks much, I appreciate your help.
  7. FLaRe85

FLaRe85 Active Member Contributors

This thread is creepy.
  8. jonc2006

ah come on flare, thats just super but lets not add off-topic into the mix either.