Best NeoGeo emulator?

Discussion in 'Misc Console Discussion' started by Hydra, Jun 27, 2002.

1. Hydra

Hydra ???!!!???!!!?!?!

Can someone recomend one?

I'm not sure if this is in the right place, seems ok though.
  2. NGEmu.com Advertisement

3. Kane

Kane 邪魔ゎ指せない Contributors

It's as good a place as any :D
    I use Kawaks, but Nebula is also good.
  4. REi_FoX

REi_FoX ¡¾¡¾¡¾¡ Fantasy ¡¾¡¾¡¾¡

well depends on the game... wanna play KOF 2000?

use kawaks...

wanna play KOF 2001...

use neoragex
  5. Hydra

Hydra ???!!!???!!!?!?!

I'm mainly wanting to play metal slug games.;)
  6. fivefeet8

fivefeet8 &-)---|--< Staff Member

1. Winkawaks
    2. Nebula
    3. Mame

KOF2001 works with kawaks, you just have to know how to do it.. There is also a Hacked version of Kawaks that runs KOF2001.. But find that one on your own.. I don't use Neoragex anymore.. It doesn't use mame rom names while the 3 emus above use the same rom names.. A lot of people start running into problems running games because they've been using neoragex and the rom names are not properly mame named..
  7. Hydra

Hydra ???!!!???!!!?!?!

Man these emulators aren't as simple as other which is quite annoying.
  8. fivefeet8

They are pretty simple to me.. The readme docs that comes with them explains all the options pretty well.. I'd say if your gonna use mame, get mame32 as that has a GUI to make it easier for command line newbs..
  9. Hydra

Hydra ???!!!???!!!?!?!

I'm trying to use nebula, I put the roms in the roms folder and it doesn't detect them and says a bunch of stuff is missing when I try to run it. Does the ROM need a certain name?
  10. fivefeet8

Well, if you've been using neoragex, then you might need to change the rom names to mame romsets.. You can also use winkawaks to check on the rom names since it lists them on the roms lists when you try to load games.. You also need the neogeo.zip file which should contain the neogeo bios..
  11. Hydra

Hydra ???!!!???!!!?!?!

Isn't there a emu where you can simply just open a rom not all this romset rubbish.
  12. sights

sights space trader

...sorry, but neogeo emulation isn't as straightforward as, say NES, or MegaDrive emulation. There is isn't just a single rom file, but a whole bunch of them, usually zipped in a file. So, you have to worry about several things, like having the "correct" -individual- rom file & zise, the "correct" CRC for each one, "correct" zip name e.t.c.
    ...the thing is that Nebula & Kawaks comply with MAME when it comes to general rom specifications, and since several things get changed in each MAME version (including neogeo naming & stuff)...you get the idea :) ...but even if some things, like the CRC, are not exactly the same, the game will probably run.

The best thing to do is what fivefeet8 suggested - read the docs for each emu, check your zipped roms (or use a rom manager utility), do whatever changes are needed and then you'll be ready to play. It won't take you more than 15 minutes to get your games to run. Seriously.
  13. Hydra

Hydra ???!!!???!!!?!?!

OK I'll give it a shot later and get back to you on how it went.
  14. Hydra

Hydra ???!!!???!!!?!?!

On more thing, why are the ROMs so massive?
  15. Kane

Kane 邪魔ゎ指せない Contributors

because of the graphics information? They are 2d games, designed to run at 640x480. There is also likely poor audio compresssion.
  16. Bubsy

Bubsy vicious lone wolf

Alright if your going to start using neogeo emulators first use the ; neoragex 0.6b if the other emulators are getting complicated for you.
    neoragex 0.6b

but if you got use to the emulator fiasco, use the winkawaks emu, excellent emu for great neogeo, cps-1, cps-2 titles; including great video blitters and other options.
    winkawaks 1.43

search for metal slug (which will be easy;) ) and put it in your roms folder.

Any other question reply me by P.M.
  17. Hydra

Hydra ???!!!???!!!?!?!

Thanks man! I'm gonna start off at the winkawaks stage and I'll get back to you on how that all goes.
  18. Hydra

Hydra ???!!!???!!!?!?!

Thanks guys got it to work, the thing I didn't know was that I needed the bios.
    Thanks for all the help and recommendations:)
  19. astroduck

astroduck 發水麵包

Is NeoRageX 0.7 a hacked version?
  20. Hydra

Hydra ???!!!???!!!?!?!

I think it is a hack version so you can play a game that couldn't be played before, I'm not sure though.

Wow metal slug rocks! The animation of the characters is great.
  21. fivefeet8

Or maybe it's the hacked version which works in winxp.. Wait until you play Metal Slug 2, Metal Slug x, Metal Slug 3, and then MS4.. :)