Best Rom Hacks?

Discussion in 'Game/Console Discussion' started by TheCloudOfSmoke, Dec 9, 2006.

1. TheCloudOfSmoke

TheCloudOfSmoke Menthol Flavored Junior Contributor Award Winner!

I have a sudden interest in hacked roms. After checking out the Sonic 1/S&K and the Super Metroid Justin Baily hack, I was impressed with what can be done with rom hacking and I was looking for some more that are good. I was hoping that someone could suggest some cool rom hacks to me. It can be for any of the classic consoles like NES, SNES, GB, Genesis, etc. If you post a link, I prefer ips to keep it legal. If it's already patched by the creator like the Sonic 1 & S&K rom, then just tell me the name and I'll do the rest ;). Thanks.
  2. NGEmu.com Advertisement

3. hushypushy

hushypushy <font color=#FFFFFF><b>the only one you've ever SE Contributors

Lesbian Tennis.

It's a hack of "Tennis" and it's just silly. Also the character you play as is naked. Google for it, there is a good page that has a bunch of screenshots (and also a download link).
  4. TheCloudOfSmoke

Wow. I found the site and they had even more crazier stuff than the Lesbian Tennis game. There seems to be a big fascination with nude pixelated game characters in the rom hacking scene.
  5. Silenus

Silenus Pilgrim Junior Contributor

Somehow I though Kirby would have suggested that, not you hushy. :p
  6. jonc2006

jonc2006 God of Douchebagness™

yeah i have to agree with you on that one
  7. marc_lye

marc_lye Cool Guitar Playing Geek

Two come to mind for me.

If you liked Super Mario World but at the same time wanted a challenge from it, theres Mario World X which has completely new levels whilst spread out over the same Mushroom Kingdom map. The levels are insanely difficult and I couldn't even get to the first castle which is like, 3 or 5 stages through. It is just so hard.

The other that comes to mind is Gay Streets of Rage! It was a hack that allowed you to play as Ash (I think) on SoR3 but the dude is just so camp it's sick, plus all the enemies look like rejects from the Village People if I remember right.
  8. TheCloudOfSmoke

9. hushypushy

I could see him suggesting way dirtier stuff than that ;) Lesbian Tennis is cool because I like the original Tennis game, and plus Mario (the ref) says some funny stuff. And pixelated bewbs.

That Super Mario World X thingy is really awesome too, I only passed a few levels, it is damned difficult.
  10. Exodus

Exodus ...and now they do.

But is there a plot?
  11. Project Epsilon

Project Epsilon Is it a dream...

One i really like is the zelda: link to the Past day/night cycling system. it makes the game feel more like ocarina.
  12. jonc2006

jonc2006 God of Douchebagness™

plots dont matter if there are lesbians.
  13. hushypushy

Yes. Evil Mario has decided to enslave an entire group of females, and they have to battle for their lives on "Lesbian TV channel 69". Mario repeatedly badgers the females with insensitive remarks such as "IN, *****" or "****ing *****" and YOU, the main character, are forced to play absolutely naked. Can you overcome the oppression, beat the other girls EVEN THOUGH YOU ARE NAKED and come through????

Now available wherever fine ROMs are uploaded.
  14. Foxfyre

Foxfyre Emulation Junkie

15. TheCloudOfSmoke

That was the first place that I checked ;).
  16. Exodus

Exodus ...and now they do.

I never knew tennis could be so intense.
  17. Mako Eyes

Mako Eyes Refrigerate after opening

Heh, I never played that Mario World X one, it sounds interesting.

There are quite a few good Mario Bros 3 hacks out there. I would recommend checking out Mario Adventure, Some Usual Day, and Super Mario Bros. 3 Challenge. They're all fairly difficult, especially that last one.

Mario Bros. 3 Challenge is unbelievably tough. It's basically like the Master Quest for Mario 3, as it still has all of the original levels, but they're altered to make them much more difficult. This one frustrated me to no end, but I rather did enjoy the first two I listed up there.

CHECK THEM OUT YO
  18. lMarekl

lMarekl Now Legal in Canada

Here is where you want to go for hacks and translations of japanese games

Romhacking.net

The have SoM2 translated Hooah
  19. TheCloudOfSmoke

I checked out the rom hacking utilities from that site earlier today but I didn't check the hacks until now. They have some good stuff on there too. I found a really cool Sonic 1 hack that lets you play as Shadow!

Romhacking.net

I'm going to continue to browse through it to see what I can find. Thanks.
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2006
  20. Cid Highwind

Cid Highwind The Hunter

Suddenly all the pieces fall into place...

hushy = kirby

When Hushy started to post more, Kirby was nowhere to be found. There, now that that one is solved, we still need to find out what gender they are :p
  21. Xtreme2damax

Xtreme2damax Mr. Technological Staff Member Moderator

How do you use the Hacks? I heard that you need an IPS Patcher to apply the hacks, but I am unsure how to use the IPS Patcher to do sooO

I dumped a Super Mario Rom off of my old cartridge I have, to use with Zsnes and I wanted to try out the Mario World X Hack, but I'm unsure how to apply the Hack.

I tried using the DOS Version of an IPS Patcher I got at Zophars Domain, but it apparently did not appear to patch the game file, as there is nothing new and the rom is still the same size as before.

I posted in this thread because I figured it was appropriate to do so, as this thread pertains to rom hacking.

Thank you if anyone can let me know how to do this:)