Can pcsx2 play psx cd?

Discussion in 'Misc PS2 Discussion' started by lmf, Jun 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lmf

lmf Resistance is futile

Is anyone of you ever try playing psx cd in pcsx2 emu. I've try once but it won't work. Is pcsx2 emu doesn't support psx cd?
  2. NGEmu.com Advertisement

3. dpence

dpence New Member

pcsx2 is a Playstation 2 Emulator, not a Ps1 emu.. for that use pSX emu or ePSXe
  4. General Plot

General Plot Familiar Face

Simple answer: no. It's designed for PS2 game emulation. With so many good PSX emulators that exist, why would you want to use a WIP emulator for PS1?
  5. lmf

lmf Resistance is futile

Well I just too curious that all hehehe… Sorry don’t be mad at me…
  6. guest.r

guest.r Member

If PCSX2 could run PSX games that would be something to brag with.
    In this case we could talk about a perfect simulation of the "black box" and not necessarily about emulating a computer architecture for some practical reasons.
  7. Cid Highwind

Cid Highwind The Hunter

This does raise an interesting question. I can understand that you are leaving out the PSX stuff in PCSX2, however certain games use that PSX chip for sound, I heard it was GTA that does so. So if you want those games to run perfectly you should have to emulate it as well. Can someone explain how this works?
  8. dpence

dpence New Member

Ummm, thought PS2 and PS1 used the same sound chip in the PS2 (It is register compatible with PS1's original) the only difference being that the PS2 offers more voices and higher sample rate...
  9. refraction

refraction PCSX2 Coder Contributors Award Winner!

you would be correct, the sound chip in the ps2 is in the same place as the PSX was, it has literally had a twin brother and evolved slightly :p (higher sample rate, but 2x SPU1's stuck together)

PS1 emulation in pcsx2 might be possible in the future, we know pretty much what needs doing, but PS1 emulation isnt a priority, it is a PS2 emulator, hence our focus is on emulating PS2 games, PS1 emulation is something that is already done in stand alone emus and not exactly something that is going to be amazingly different through pcsx2.
  10. guest.r

guest.r Member

Could be interesting to add PS1 support for pure testing purposes.
    Like no "cheating" with use of PS1 emu code in order to make some games more compatible.
    It would be very interesting to watch the compatibility of theesse games. And to improove the "non EE" code. In theory the PS1 games should run faster in PCSX2 as in other emulators (with all the work put in speed optimisations). Don't need a GFLOPS speeder for this part of the show. :heh:
  11. RealOne

RealOne PCSX2 FAN

Not necessarily faster.. Anyhow, like Refration said, their priority is PS2 Emulation and working on that for now.. Maybe once everything that is needed for PS2 emulation is done, the team may focus on emulation.. ASFAIK when the whole emulator is complete and whole, The emulator would be able to play PS1, PS2 and DVD's and also be able to use the Dev9 stuff, USB's and FireWire stuff.. That is if the aim of the team has not yet as far changed

Which is Emulating PCSX2 exactly as a PS2 would ;)
  12. Drefsab

Drefsab New Member

well if you want to boil it down a perfect (or near) ps2 emulator will be able to play psx games because that s what the ps2 can do. Because if the emulator is near perfect it should be able to do every single thing the real machine can.
  13. lmf

lmf Resistance is futile

thank god some one understand me... that the answer i want and probably the question i should ask... well my thread is only eemm what we call "NEED TO KNOW"... that all.. :heh:
  14. Drefsab

Drefsab New Member

:) I think people are a little jumpy on the forums. Its the same with Vmware for the pc they never used to consider support for 3d acceleration stating that is not needed, but now with windows vista on the way they are working on it as its something that the os will want. A truely emulated box is a high goal to achive but it certain doesnt mean its not something that should be strived for in the long run.
  15. hushypushy

hushypushy <font color=#FFFFFF><b>the only one you've ever SE Contributors

it's not emulating THE PS2. no. last time i checked, PCSX2 is not striving to completely recreate the PS2 experience on a PC.

it plays PS2 games. that's it. It's a PS2 emulator in the sense that it emulates PS2 games, not the entire freakin' PS2.

and why would the PCSX2 team go through all of that hassle to emulate the PSX (which has its own seperate chip in the PS2 anyway) when there are several good PSX emulators already out there?

the only reasons i can think of are:

1. you're lazy. you want a one stop solution for your Sony emulation.
    2. you're some sort of perfectionist who thinks that since it's a PS2 emulator, it must support all functions.

in response to 1; just open up a new program. boo hoo.

in response to 2; you're screwed. PCSX2 will have a really tough time hacking DNAS (which is probably illegal) so online functions will never be supported. by the way, i havent heard anyone *****ing at the fact that PCSX2 doesn't play DVD movies.
  16. Drefsab

Drefsab New Member

perhaps you should re read my post and try to apply a little understanding and inteligence (as clearly you have not done so).

I said a "perfect or near perfect ps2 emulator" I did not say pcsx2 or claim that is anywhere near perfect (or even that I expected it to ever reach that stage). I also never claimed that pcsx2 could or ever should be able to play psx games.

Im talking about purely hypothetical terms that if you emulated every single funtion of a machine then every software that machine can run should work. Which is where the original poster got his idea from, so instead so shooting him down and flaming him like most people seam to want to do I was talking about the fact it would take something perfect or near perfect to do so (which anyone with half a brain would know does not exist now if ever).

I personally dont care about if it works or not I dont have a wish to play psx games and only a passing interst in ps2 games, I am however interested in emulation in general. Personally I think the pcsx2 team have done wonders (though I havent installed it myself), but that does not stop people talking about purely theoretical ideas.
  17. hushypushy

i did read your post, several times. here, i'll quote it in its entirety.

your argument is that a perfect PS2 emulator can play PSX games because that's what a real PS2 does. yes, you are correct in that an emulator that perfectly emulates every single aspect of the PS2 would play PSX games, PS2 games, CDs, DVDs, have online play, and do all that other stuff that a PS2 does.

however, you're missing one huge thing: the original post.
    have you even read the original post? you assumed that's where the OP got his idea from. let's reread what he said.

notice how he is talking about PCSX2, not your magical perfect emulator. try to find his question. can you? his question was, in corrected english, can PCSX2 play PSX games? to which the answer is no. if you want to somehow turn "answering his question truthfully and honestly" into "shooting him down" then uh, be my guest.

you were talking about a perfect emulator being able to fully emulate every function of the PS2. the original poster was asking if PCSX2 specifically would play PSX games. you are taking his original post and making up an extra storyline. all he asked was if PCSX2 will play PSX games. that's it. how many times do i have to say it? you obviously don't understand.
  18. Drefsab

Drefsab New Member

He had already been told it wont work I was simply pointing out that his original thinking is logically sound but it would need something that doesnt exist yet.
  19. hushypushy

oh, you were just pointing that out? well, i'm glad that you pointed out that a PS2 emulator that emulates every PS2 function would also play PS1 games. before your post, i doubt that anyone knew that. thanks for enlightening us.
  20. Drefsab

Drefsab New Member

I wasnt pointing out to ignorant and hostile ass's like youself but to the original poster who actually thanked me for being one of the few people that took what he said seriously. Anyway lmf im sorry your thread has been degraded like this for no good reason.
  21. hushypushy

cool, ad hominem. attack me rather than my argument. it really shows your maturity.

i know that you already know that your post was quite pointless. so why don't you give it up?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.