Can you speed up games with DeSmuME ?

Discussion in 'DeSmuME Discussion' started by theway, Feb 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. theway

theway New Member

First of all, sorry for my bad english

I'm using DeSmuME 0.9.1

Is there a way to make DeSmuME run games faster ? (For example, in NO$GBA emulator you Press "+" button and the game becomes faster)
  2. NGEmu.com Advertisement

3. SCHUMI_4EVER

SCHUMI_4EVER Hackin 'n Slashin Staff Member Award Winner!

the '+' button is merely a fast forward button in no$gba, it's not meant for constant use to try and get the game playable.
  4. Matis

Matis Finger of Doom

It, however, could help with debugging processes(or at least, would help one get to the part needed faster).

Just a key to temporarily remove the framelimit would suffice. It shouldn't be hard to code that, it would help gamers AND possibly be of use to debuggers and developers.
  5. shashClp

shashClp Emu author Emu Author

Cool, then just download the source, code it, and send a patch to the official team!
  6. SCHUMI_4EVER

Woah chill shash.
    It was just a suggestion being justified by apparent ease, not a demand or anything with any sort of cheek. The justification was there to explain that the suggestion made should not be overburdening (afterall some people still show a bit of respect and don't want overburden you) and thus something which could be considered and not just a selfish request.
    Whilst I understand questions like this annoy you please try to be a little more civil, I know it's hard, I myself at times have to struggle to keep my temper in check but please try, you're getting just a little more hostile than normal recently.
  7. Matis

Matis Finger of Doom

To be honest, I would if I could. I have close to zero programming experience, though. Planning to study Informatic Engineering(or whatever it should be translated to in English) in college, however, so that's going to be different in a few years or so.

Either way, that was totally uncalled for. I simply gave an explanation on how a feature that's probably already in the emulator(haven't tried DeSmuME in ages, but I recall being able to fix the FPS to a number. Or at least a VSync option) can be exploited to get something relatively useful for nearly no work at all.
  8. shashClp

I just suggested Matis should do so. If he knows it's easy to do, probably knows how to do, else he should better avoid judging it ease.
  9. SCHUMI_4EVER

After I pointed out he has to chill you don't need to point out his harshness as well Matis, we don't want to unneccessarily provoke anyone.
    For the future when making a suggestion to an emu author always remember that's it's easier said than done. Some authors take offense if you don't keep that in mind.
  10. Matis

Matis Finger of Doom

Oh, I know that. I meant to offend no one.
    I know what Shash and most developers have to go through when they get attention from lots of people. Relentless requests, whining and demanding is surely annoying and possibly even mind-tearing.

What I meant was that, while I have zero coding experience, I just can't really picture adding a hotkey to an already established function being too time consuming or hard. My situation would be like someone saying "Hey, it's easy to post in a forum", even if that person has never posted in one. It comes down to some minimal knowledge and use of logic.

Again, sorry if I offended you(to both Shash and Schumi).

PS: If yet again my post offends someone, please Schumi, lock this topic. It'll probably be for the best of everyone.
  11. SCHUMI_4EVER

I won't lock it just yet, it's gone offtopic but perhaps NHerve or one of the other people working on DeSmuME still has something to say.
    Or perhaps we missunderstood the TC completely and he was looking for way to make the emulator faster on weak hardware as he incorrectly uses the no$gba fast forward button to make his games seem playable in no$gba.
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2009
  12. shashClp

Any way, to get this proper on topic, in my opinion it shouldn't be too hard, but I've not checked how the main loop of the windows port is, depending on current architecture it might be painful to do so (for example, it may break frameskipping for a few seconds, if it's using any kind of historic information).
  13. Dax

Dax ライチュウ|タオ

If the TC/OP meant removing the speed cap, all you have to do is set Frameskip to 0 and it'll play as fast as possible[I've seen MKDS get up to like 65-70FPS I think.]. At least on my desktop it does. I just put it on auto and it never frameskips[at least on Mario Kart DS]. :p
  14. Matis

Matis Finger of Doom

Dax cleared it for me. If Frameskip=0 simply makes the game run as fast as it can possibly run, a hotkey that(while held) would make the frameskip equal to 0 would suffice for most purposes. If(as Shash pointed out) it's even possible to be done without breaking anything.
  15. SCHUMI_4EVER

I always thought the frameskipping options were there to speed things up?
  16. Matis

Matis Finger of Doom

The idea of frameskip is to simply skip the rendering of a number of frames to get normal speed. It may be used without a limit, so as to get as big as a speed increase as possible, though. According to Dax's post, only Frameskip=0 disregards the frame limit, so DeSmuME seems to use the former way of frameskip.
  17. SCHUMI_4EVER

Yeah I meant that, but that also means for weak systems it's either being limited to 60, or performance being so bad that it does not even get anywhere near 60, kind of a catch22.
  18. Matis

Matis Finger of Doom

Oh, of course. Simply removing the frame limit will not get you anywhere if your PC can't even get to the limit mark in the first place.
  19. theway

theway New Member

Does DeSmuME have "fast forward" button ?

This all what I need to know

I'm not having any performance problem with DeSmuME, all games that I play are running fine at normal speed.
  20. SCHUMI_4EVER

No it does not at this stage so I am afraid you will have to sit through the same boring cutscenes if you can't skip them internally.
  21. Exophase

Exophase Emu author Emu Author

For fast forwarding (especially on a very demanding emulator like this) you want to do it with speed uncapping AND a sufficiently high frameskip.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.