Certain games with scratchy audio.

Discussion in 'No$GBA Discussion' started by sabin1981, Feb 4, 2008.

1. sabin1981

sabin1981 Gaming Sensei

I'm truly sorry if this has been posted before, I DID search.. but I can't find a thread that specifically deals with (or answers problems on..) this subject.

No$GBA 2.6a (and 2.6) runs flawlessly for me on my comp. Beautiful speed and excellent compatibility -- except; a few games exhibit some hideous, and frankly game-breaking, audio scratching and crackling. I've tried changing the sound settings from Stereo to Mono, and even dropping the quality rate, but nothing changes.

The games I get this on are;

Mario 64 DS
    StarFox Command
    Rune Factory (which I have to run under 2.6, not 2.6a, due to the blue-screen bug)

There are others, but I figure this should be enough info for now. If anyone needs me to list ALL the games that give this issue, I'm happy to.

PC is in my signature, and I'm using a Realtek AC97 soundcard (onboard using Karajan Audio from my DFI-LanParty UT)

Any help would be appreciated guys! Is this an emulator issue? Or something else?

-=Edit=-

Just so you know, and before anyone shouts "It's Vistaaaaa!!! Change1111!1!!!111!", it only does it on SOME games. Not all. If it was Vista, and the DirectSound issue like in Chankast, it would do it on ALL games :p So please, serious answers only.
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2008
  2. NGEmu.com Advertisement

3. Dualscreenman

Dualscreenman DS Cheat Code Hacker

It's all Vista's fault!!!!111!!!!!!!!!!11111!

Or, No$gba's sound emulation isn't perfect. :p
  4. Clements

Clements Active Member

Yep, it's that simple. The sound emulation has improved lately, but is still somewhat scratchy with certain games. I have XP and an Audigy 2 ZS, and it's the same.
  5. imlost

imlost ಠ_ಠ

Just wait a few version. The sound should be close to being perfect by then.
  6. sabin1981

sabin1981 Gaming Sensei

Thank you so much, guys! That's a bloody weight off my mind :)
  7. Eiji

Eiji Emulation Connoisseur

Yeah, I get the scratchy audio with New Super Mario Bros. and a few other games. No$GBA's audio emulation just isn't up to "scratch" (pardon the pun :innocent:) but will improve with time.
  8. kuro

kuro New Member

It seems to happen specifically with Nintendo's games. Mario Kart DS, New Super Mario Bros, Mario Vs DK 2, Super Mario 64 DS, etc.

Other games, often with more complicated graphics (and even running slower), have great sound compared to the simple nintendo/mario games.

It must be the type of sound code Nintendo themselves use in their titles.
  9. keypox

keypox New Member

had the same questions... how often do new versions come out?
  10. imlost

imlost ಠ_ಠ

About every 1 or 2 month(s) a new version will be out, but don't get your hopes up.
  11. keypox

keypox New Member

12. SCHUMI_4EVER

SCHUMI_4EVER Hackin 'n Slashin Staff Member Award Winner!

The Vista thing was a joke.

If a game is fully playable then that does not mean that sound and speed is perfect on all PCs.
  13. Jay-O

Jay-O New Member

It's not Vistas fault.

I'm using Vista and XP on the same PC and in both OS i got the scratchy sound.
  14. menelaou

menelaou New Member

I suspect it is that the no$gba cant emulate echo's and it replaces it with scratchy sound. For example in Zelda the music if fine outside but the music is scratchy in a cave. So yeah.