Chankast is actually just a joke/parody program, right?

Discussion in 'Chankast Discussion' started by Rekrul, Nov 13, 2016.

1. Samor

Samor Foundry

well, I don't know about deamon tools now, but it used to be fine...
    Aside from cdi, I used to work a lot with alcohol's format at the time, mdf/mds... did you try that?
  2. PsyMan

PsyMan Banned

...fine. Do not use the suggested program that works. Use anything else... that doesn't work. :p

I guess you can also install the latest SPTD driver (http://www.duplexsecure.com/downloads/) and see if it fixes the problem.
  3. Rekrul

Rekrul New Member

Yup.

Well, if you can point me to a crapware-free version of Daemon Tools, I'll be happy to try it, but I'm not willing to install potential malware on my system. Blame the authors who have screwed up the reputations of their own programs by bundling them them with crap.

Besides, what exactly is Chankast doing that would cause it to only work with one specific virtual drive while thinking every other virtual drive is empty? Isn't the whole point of a virtual drive that it fools programs into thinking it's a real drive? Why is Chankast the only program that isn't fooled?

I think I'll pass on installing random drivers.
  4. Samor

Samor Foundry

Trying to run chankast now... it's been a while.
    Seems the older virtual drive tools don't work on Windows 10...

Hang on while I try something.
  5. PsyMan

PsyMan Banned

Most virtual drives do not properly support multissesion discjuggler images. The discs will not be properly recognized by any program that accesses the disc in the virtual drive. The games using other image formats that you tried are probably not bootable. That's pretty much it.

In the end, the emulator works. The problem is the other software you choose to use. The authors of the program and the ones offering solutions for your problem are not responsible for your choices. You are.
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2016
  6. Samor

Samor Foundry

seems it's not playing nice with recent versions of Deamon Tools either. I'm getting the same results as Rekrul.
    I guess I'll have to burn a disc...

bwah... of course win10 doesn't play friendly with DiscJuggler either... this is a bit of a hassle...
  7. PsyMan

PsyMan Banned

Update the SPTD driver from the link I posted earlier. There is a high chance that the included driver (with both alcohol and daemon tools) is outdated.
  8. Samor

Samor Foundry

I did that now, no dice (the images mount fine, chankast isn't booting them).
    ...well, I am trying to run an outdated emulator on a recent os here...

I found your FAQ, heh. Let's see if I'm doing something wrong.

ok, yup, I forgot the DC_Flash file. Don't know why I'm getting a black screen on a game I thought worked but it does boot now.

...and we are live!

2016-11-20 (4).png

thanks PsyMan, you saved me a cd-rom ;-)
  9. PsyMan

PsyMan Banned

It works fine here... Windows 10, Chankast v0.25 using the xxx cdrom plugin, latest daemon tools and sptd driver.

Maybe a reboot is required, or you selected the wrong drive letter from the emulator.

There is a definite way to fix the problem but I'd rather provide that only if everything else fails.
  10. Samor

Samor Foundry

PsyMan and MT like this.
  11. MT

MT Smell ya later! Contributors

Chankast... GOD, you're all old ;p

EDIT: Ahhh Psyman's manual, so many memories <3
    PsyMan likes this.
  12. cyclonmaster

cyclonmaster EmuAddict-_-;;

So true... good old memories. Play good DC games such as Skies of Arcadia with Chankast. Now I used Demul a lot for DC gaming.
  13. Strike105X

Strike105X ヒットハード&高速 Award Winner!

Wow how did i miss this thread, i really don't visit the older emulation sections anymore.... Damn the memories, used it to play soul calibur and DOA, 2 years worth is spent with those games in this emulator :3.
    Samor likes this.
  14. Robert

Robert Not a new member

There's a bunch of Chankast Utilities available at http://chankast.1emu.net/

I have no idea what they do, but maybe they might be of some use.
    Strike105X likes this.
  15. Strike105X

Strike105X ヒットハード&高速 Award Winner!

Ah i remember speed pig, basically it overclocked the internal clock engine and many including myself thought that it might in turn affect and damage hardware as it may reflect the overclocked nature on actual hardware, at first i was afraid to use it rofl.
  16. laserjohn

laserjohn Aim 4 the stars...

For 13 years now... Must be one heck of an about page.
    Strike105X likes this.