Chip16 Official thread (Development/Suggestions)

Discussion in 'Web development / Programming' started by tykel, Nov 6, 2011.

1. ssakash

ssakash New Member

@refraction
    do you have the source code of any of your GBC emulator ?
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2015
  2. refraction

refraction PCSX2 Coder Contributors Award Winner!

I've never made a GBC emulator, also that isn't really relevant to this thread.
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2015
  3. ssakash

ssakash New Member

Sorry, I thought you might have made one. my aim was to use it as a reference comparing to my own one which is in Development.

I didn't even take a look at the thread's topic, apologies.
  4. refraction

No problem :) there are plenty of goes and documents about making a gameboy emulators :)
    ssakash likes this.
  5. ssakash

ssakash New Member

yeah, thanks for the support. though, the current status looks a little akward, it's full of late patch and fixes. I should have Implemented the things accurately from the get together. Example:- at the start, I had hardcoded the GPU updates into the MMU instead of defining a range of registers where the GPU handlers will be called from the MMU. there are still a lot of other things I'm lagging down at, still a lot of ways to go.

my next plan is to either emulate the genesis (or) just port this to android.

also, comeback to the PCSX2 forums some day . later ^_^
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2015
  6. cooliscool

cooliscool Super Moderator Staff Member

This is a truly exceptional project & effort, very inspiring. Much respect to all those involved.
    refraction likes this.
  7. overclocked

overclocked Member

Simple question... I'm just implementing a good old Mandelbrot for the Chip16 and have problems with SAR and DIVI. Shouldn't SAR really just keep the sign of the original value, regardless of how many times you shift it?
    Shouldn't DIVI just handle sign? I'm confused.. If these 2 statements are true I sseem to have lots of bugs in nChip16.
  8. refraction

Not sure, but have a look at the source for the already existing one, maybe that will give you some clues :)

As for SAR, possibly, my code says to "repeat sign" which would suggest the leading bits are always the same.

Attached Files:

9. overclocked

overclocked Member

Thanks for the info and code refraction. I only found the executable code earlier, so thats good. Mine is written in Chip16-assembler, but will probably be quite similar to that when it is finished. For now I think I found some bugs in NChip16 with it, so it has probably done some good. I will extend my Chip1613ST test program to test for signige!? among div and sal :)
  10. overclocked

overclocked Member

Yup that was some bugs still left in nChip16. Was the C#-code using type ushort where it should be using signed short. I will release a new version of nChip16 and a new version of the Chip1613ST testsuite that includes checking signhandling for SAR and DIV. Latest version of RefChip16 seem to work good anyway! Here's a working version of the infamous Mandelbrot fractal. The code will be released under my Chip16-program suite:
    https://github.com/mwedmark/nChip16/tree/master/Chip16Programs

With a new ZIP-executable for all Chip16-program.

Attached Files:

11. refraction

Cool! Seems to work, a lot slower than the older one but at the same time more details, nice use of a custom palate there :)

Suprised my recompiler comes out at double the speed of the interpreter, which is cool lol. Really need to make that better at some point so it uses more than 1 X86 register, will be much quicker then! :)

One thing that is weird, the render seems to get slower as you get towards the bottom :p
  12. overclocked

overclocked Member

OK just to keep the Mandelbrot going on the Chip16 platform. Here's an update.
    It should be at least 3 times quicker, but still using almost the same precision and details. It also uses an even more compelling palette, I think!

I'll use this as an example program to get my C# nChip16 emulator faster. I must say the mash16 is incredibly fast with its 5000-6000 FPS! Just incredible. On my machine (I7 2.6Ghz) it finishes this within about a second!

I also have ideas on how to get it to show much more detail, but it will cost performance.

Attached Files:

13. refraction

wow nchip is really quick! i get about 200-300fps tops on my emulator, probably my drawing routine is deathly slow, which would make sense as i'm using SDL which is pretty bad ;p
  14. overclocked

overclocked Member

Sorry for being a little unclear. As I wrote, 6000FPS is for the great mash16, written in unmanaged C++ I think! NChip today can only run at 60 FPS (or slower) because of the way it is written. I will change that.

Your RefChip16 v1.51 is also great on the this machine doing about 400FPS both when drawing mandel and also afterwards when running the end-loop.
  15. refraction

Thats still pretty good I guess :) What kind of rig are you running?

I really need to improve my recompiler a little though, squeeze a few more fps out of things :)
  16. overclocked

overclocked Member

It's a Lenovo W530 Laptop I've had for a few years. QuadCore I7-3720QM 2.6Ghz, 8GB RAM and a 500GB SSD.
  17. refraction

I'm hugely impressed on the framerate you get then o_O I wonder why it runs so much slower on my machine, as you can see from my sig (now I've updated it), my PC is no slouch lol
  18. refraction

Hey Tykel, just thought you should know, it seems ngemu has buggered up attachments at some point so the program packs are both currently dead links. Also my emu has moved to github (see my sig) so that needs updating too :)
  19. tykel

tykel Sober coder

@refraction: Thanks for the heads up, I will fix this when I get some time. I should probably make a nice homepage with the roms on github.io, it will make it easier to see what has been done. :)

Good job on the new mandelbrot @overclocked! Let's keep this going!
  20. refraction

Good to see you again man! I have been keeping an eye on your github page, only real thing it's lacking is a downloadable nice easy to read version of the spec sheet (kind of like the original one), the one on there is handy, albeit a little bit bulky for quick reference and the tables of small boxes force things to go on 2 lines which isn't nice lol