Converting .mcr files to psp game saves?

Discussion in 'Sony Handhelds' started by gmerah, Apr 14, 2012.

1. gmerah

gmerah New Member

I'm trying to transfer my ps1 game save to psp (I downloaded ff7 from PSN, so now I want to use my game save on my psp).

I heard you have to convert the .mcr file to .vmp, which I tried to do, but I haven't any luck so far. I have memcardrex 1.1, but I don't see any options there to save to a .vmp format.

I looked everywhere for memcardrex 1.5, but every single link I tried are broken. So, I tried a psp psx memory card converter (by Shendo, I think), but it ended up erasing my save game!

How do I convert .mcr to .vmp?
  2. NGEmu.com Advertisement

3. Shendo

Shendo R3000 Staff Member Moderator

Ah, the old .mcr to .vmp issue. I was messing with the .vmp way back in 2007 and wasn't able to figure it out then.
    Probably due to the lack of interest the checksum was not cracked yet by someone else.
    I was thinking of revisiting the problem, but I'm not sure when will that be.

Anyway, the best way for now is to use CWCheat on a PSP with CFW and upload a .mcr file to it.
    As for MemcardRex 1.5 check my blog (link in the signature).
  4. RpgLover1

RpgLover1 New Member

Use ePSXe save on PSP

Hi Shendo,

I ripped my Legend of Dragoon discs (I have owned the game for YEARS but I recently wished to start playing it on my psp at night before bed), but I ran into a part where, after a battle, the game just wouldn't load any further (blank screen). I tried renaming the save file so it would work on ePSXe (and it did work, so I got past the problem point and saved in ePSXe), but now the problem is to convert it back to a .VMP file to work on my psp. I'm a complete noob at this. Your post said the tactic to use was:

"Anyway, the best way for now is to use CWCheat on a PSP with CFW and upload a .mcr file to it.
    As for MemcardRex 1.5 check my blog (link in the signature)."

Would you mind explaining (and I mean VERY basically, from the beginning) how to do this? I've tried using CWCheat and it just doesn't show up at all, even though I have copied the files over to the root of the psp. I also have popsloader (from 3.00 to 4.10) and use CFW 5.00 M33-3. Thanks so much!
  5. Shendo

There are many guides on the Internet so I see no point in writing another one.
    However, if you want, attach the save and I will convert it for you.
  6. RpgLover1

RpgLover1 New Member

Legend Dragoon save

Here it is.
  7. Shendo

8. RpgLover1

RpgLover1 New Member

Thanks!

Thank you so much! You're awesome!
  9. slvn2468

slvn2468 New Member

hi

can you please tell me how did you convert mcr to vmp?

thanks
  10. Saiorus

Saiorus New Member

11. TTmicoTT

TTmicoTT Heir Apparent

Hello Shendo! I got a hold of a program here that lets one "take a VMP file (the files used by PSP to save PSX games) and extract the contents to a .mcr that can be used with ePXSe." It says there that it "can also take an existing .mcr and inject it into a .vmp to transfer saves to the PSP."

I've been able to do the first part quite easily. Converting the .vmp file to .mcr was not very difficult. However, it's the second part that has me dumfounded.

How do you convert the .vmp file to .mcr? Any tutorial on this matter? I humbly wish to be enlightened.

Thanks a lot!

Edit: I've used the program several times, trying to convert my PSX .mcr game saves to the .vmp format to be read by my PSP. This is so I could continue where I'd left off where I was playing in ePSXe. But every time I "inject" the .mcr save into the .vmp, the save gets erased. The program warns me that the "MCR file must have the same save structure as a VMP file, otherwise it might not be recognised by the PSP."

How do I correctly inject my .mcr save into the .vmp? And what of these save structures? How do I make them the same?

Thank you for your time.
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2012
  12. jnbetonio

jnbetonio New Member

Hi shendo, I have used your MCR to dVMP converter but it did not work. Is there something that I need to do further so the PSP can read my mcr file? Thnx.
  13. Shendo

Yeah, your PSP needs a CFW installed in order to import converted VMP.
    "d" in dVMP stands for dummy and it means that it's not a signed file that PSP can accept right of the bat.
    You have to make a few tricks in order to be read by the PSP (explained in the ReadMe.txt).

However, I suggest that you just use CWCheat instead as it has a direct .mcr import option.
  14. TTmicoTT

TTmicoTT Heir Apparent

Yep, my PSP does have CFW. If it helps, am running CFW 6.60 PRO-C (fix 4).

Kindly see my post above for the entire query. Thanks a lot!

In the link I posted above, the .rar file does not have a ReadMe.txt file. Would you be so kind as to point me to the right direction where I can get a hold of this ReadMe file? I'd like to study these things for myself so I wouldn't have to bother you so much.

Thanks again!
  15. Shendo

That utility you linked earlier is flawed. It was made back in the day when I thought that saves could simply be injected in the VMP files.
    dVMP converter is a bit better but it still requires popsloader and older version of popstation which uses .DAT saves.

As I said already, CWCheat is currently the fastest and most reliable method. Plus it can load saves from .mcr files, so no conversion is needed.
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2013
  16. TTmicoTT

TTmicoTT Heir Apparent

Oooohhhhh, okay then. Thank you once again for taking the time to reply! I'll be using CWCHEAT, but I still appreciate your work. :)
  17. jeanpauljones

jeanpauljones New Member

ShendoXT,
    Can you please Convert these VMP files to MCR files. I have tried to do so, but my memory card keeps showing up blank. I followed the step showed in the link below. Is there something this person might be doing wrong or leaving out?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAQVUnAYjFA
  18. default_user000

default_user000 New Member

ShendoXT's correct CWCHEAT is much easier to use but if you are avoiding CWCHEAT because of errors with your .mcr files then try this:

I used a PSX emulator then wanted to transfer the mcr save using CWCHEAT but I kept getting:

"open error 0x80010002"
    or
    "Unable to find mc. contact weltall!!"

But I was trying different things and it finally worked!

1ST I choose "Save Memory Card 1 to Memory Stick"

2ND I used "PSXMemTool" to open my emulator save and the new mcr that CWCHEAT created

3RD I copied the save from the emulator mcr to the mcr that CWCHEAT created

4TH After the CWCHEAT mcr has the save data I want; I saved the mcr using "PSXMemTool"

5TH Transfer the edited mcr that was created by CWCHEAT

6TH Load from CWCHEAT using the "Load Memory Card 1 from Memory Stick" option

you should see OK! on your last operation

This worked for me when the standard transfer of mcr from PC to CWCHEAT didn't work

Hope this helps! ;-)
  19. gobulle

gobulle New Member

Convert a .mcr to a .vmp

Hi ShendoXT,

I have bought FF7 on psn for my PS Vita, and it is impossible to continue my game i had saved (59 hours of game...)
    I haven't psp, and i can't test the Cwcheat method and i don't know people who have a psp...

Please, i hope you can save me, can you convert my .mcr file to .vmp ??
  20. gmdyce1

gmdyce1 New Member

Convert MC file to VMP File

Hi Shendo,

Can you do also for me for what you did to RpgLover1? Because i cant really understand the lots of process for transfering my PSX saves to PSP.

And Im afraid to use the CWCHEAT because it can cause damage to PSP OS...
    I really want to play the Chrono Cross but the last scene on Fort Dragonia when the black panter jump, its freezes...

Can you please convert also my MCR files to VMP?

Heres my MCR files>>>

Thanks a lot!!! :yawn:
  21. Shendo

Where did you hear that?
    CWCheat plugin only edits values in the ram and if you experience a crash you can simply disable the plugin. Nothing should be happening to the data stored on flash memory.

Anyway, here is the save.
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2013