Desmume lagging randomly

Discussion in 'DeSmuME Discussion' started by saffron3d, Apr 25, 2012.

1. saffron3d

saffron3d New Member

I have a problem with desmume, whenever play it starts out slowly but then goes to normal speed and then starts slowing down again and so the cycle continues. Is this normal?

My specs are:

Processor: Intel Pentium D CPU 2.80 Ghz
    RAM: 2 GB
    Graphics cards: ATI Radeon HD 4600 Series

Any help would be appreciated.
  2. NGEmu.com Advertisement

3. thelittlegumnut

thelittlegumnut New Member

what game are you trying to play and when exactly does it slow down? does it slow down when there is a lot going on? is it normal at a menu screen but then slow during gameplay? or perhaps cutscenes?
  4. SCHUMI_4EVER

SCHUMI_4EVER Hackin 'n Slashin Staff Member Award Winner!

Check your processor usage in the task manager.

That said though a dual core and clocked fairly high the Pentium D is an older much more inefficient processor than all the new ones or even the Core2Duo generation that came right after it so it could just be that your system can't handle DeSmuME.
  5. saffron3d

saffron3d New Member

Thanks for the reply.You are probably right. Oh well looks like i have to look for a new processor.
  6. SCHUMI_4EVER

Well you could more easily determine if it was the cause by monitoring processor usage through task manager whilst running DeSmuME. Chances are you'll see it use pretty much all of the processor it can (in other words 80%+ usage) with lag likely occurring either when another program also wants some of the processor or DeSmuME tries to use even more though it's already maxing it out.
  7. thelittlegumnut

try no$gba first. it runs a lot faster. i always found desmume to be a little slow (even now, and i can run pcsx2 no problems). no$zoomer is an essential add-on though.
  8. saffron3d

saffron3d New Member

I have done what you asked and checked the CPU usage while running desmume and its usage is around 96%-100%
  9. SCHUMI_4EVER

Then the CPU is definitely to blame.
  10. saffron3d

saffron3d New Member

Thanks for the reply, again. So it looks like ill have to get a new CPU. Oh well.
  11. SCHUMI_4EVER

Basically an all-new system. Since in order to replace the CPU with something more modern you'll need a new motherboard since they use different sockets and then you'll need new RAM since they now use different RAM. Though you could re-use the graphics card.
  12. the_randomizer

the_randomizer Fluffy Animal Admirer

You did know that DeSmuME runs slower due to the fact it has a higher degree of accuracy, right?

The fact you have to use an add-on (no$zoomer) to run numerous games on no$gba is somewhat ridiculous in my opinion.
  13. CrazyMax

CrazyMax DeSmuME Team

14. SCHUMI_4EVER

SVN builds won't make a hoot of a difference
  15. Kaizen

Kaizen Qu'ils mangent de la brioche Award Winner!

on a pentium d system, the best case scenario is that you have an early generation 775 motherboard unable to take core 2 duo.

You need more than a new processor, you'll need a new motherboard, processor, power supply unit (dat there 24+4/8) and a new set of ram.

An ivy bridge dual core would be sufficient without a discrete gpu
  16. thelittlegumnut

yeah, i knew. it just so happens its his/her best option though. other than getting a new processor. i recommend desmume by far if your pc can handle it.
  17. saffron3d

saffron3d New Member

What processor do you recomend me to buy? I have a Asus P5KPL-AM EPU motherboard with a LGA775 socket type.
  18. SCHUMI_4EVER

All-new system. New motherboard, new RAM, new processor. It's your only option. Both me and Kaizen have said it.