Developers wanted for PCSX Revival!

Discussion in 'PCSX Discussion' started by Squall-Leonhart, Dec 31, 2008.

1. Squall-Leonhart

Squall-Leonhart NGemu Award Winner Award Winner!

Ok, im looking to organise a revival of PCSX, Code will be stored on a googlecode svn, and im looking for any interested developers, since im more a project manager and code tinkerer, than active developer.

Project Page is at http://code.google.com/p/pcsx-r/

Anyone interested Reply here.

PS, no "Can i beta test" posts here please, releases will likely be made when code is stable and enough noticeable changes have been made to deem it worthwhile.
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2008
  2. NGEmu.com Advertisement

3. Coolsvilleman

Coolsvilleman Emulation to the max! Junior Contributor

What kind of changes are you planning on making? I always thought that the idea of merging pcsx with pcsx2 would be really cool.
  4. Squall-Leonhart

Thats not likely to happen,

As for changes, improving the performance of the Rec since its much slower then epsxe's, improving the ppf patch support, improving game compatibility and function compatibility.

Current SVN version is 6 which is PCSX 1.6 Beta
    SVN Revision 5 is PCSX 1.5 stable.
  5. Hard core Rikki

Hard core Rikki Super Moderator Staff Member Award Winner!

A marvelous suggestion. The lack of updates for that one is a shame.

Some people at debian have been playing with its sources (still traditionalist edits, but could be worth messaging them. "PCSX-Diff").
    Starting with integrating pete's gpled plugins could be nice as a fallback in absence of better manually selected ones.
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2009
  6. Squall-Leonhart

Indeed, incorporating peopsoft directly into the plugin sounds like a good idea,
  7. Strike105X

Strike105X ヒットハード&高速 Award Winner!

Good luck squall i wished i had programing skills so i can join but unfortunatelly i dont hope you can do something for this emu cause it may sound stupid but i always loved the way it emulated bios before runing the game :lol: and back a few years (i used to use both pcsx and epsxe since this had better results on some games) (offcourse pSX does that to but its not plugin based :p ) i wish you the best of luck :thumb:
  8. Squall-Leonhart

what does emulating the bios have to do with improving the application?, besides thats one thing that should have a gui level on off tickbox.
  9. seiyass

seiyass New Member

Hi ... How difficult do you think it would be, to make a Netplay plugin, with less async, and with chatting during game? This would be very cool !
  10. Squall-Leonhart

its called cyberpad and cyberpadk
  11. Strike105X

Strike105X ヒットハード&高速 Award Winner!

Well back then when i was a little new to all this stuff it really impress me i liked seing the bios before entering a game like on the PS One :lol: but still there are games that worked better for me with this dont remember right but i think dino crisis 2 was one of them still it would be super if you can find people to make this emu better than it already is like i said before i wish you the best of luck :D (since i dont have programing skills to help with the project :lol: )
  12. BigLon

BigLon New Member

I am very interested in becoming a developer.

I have had hardly any experience writing in C, but I have been wanting to learn C for some time. However, I have taken three semesters of Java, will be getting my AS in Computer Science and Mathematics this semester and will be transferring to CSU Stanislaus(possibly CSU Chico) to earn a BS in Computer Science. I have been hoping to get involved in an open source project and this appears to be a great opportunity to do so.

I am most interested in the Psx Bios which I have heard has been reverse engineered. After examining the PsxBios.c on the googlecode page, I see a lot of hard work into creating these Bios. Unfortunately I am unsure of where to start and what needs to be done to advance development here. There does not seem to be many comments explaining the function of many functions, but there names seem to be descriptive enough. It is the variables that I have the most difficult time deciphering, they appear to have un-descriptive names and very few comments for their purpose.

I would very much like to aid in the development of this software. Please let me know if there is anything I could do to help.
  13. Hawke

Hawke New Member

Man, how I wish I had some coding talent, I'd love to help work on PCSX. I think it's really cool that you're trying to revive PCSX, I'll be looking forward to your first release.
  14. user32

user32 New Member

Got the source codes of your emulator but nemogu to collect him. I get the errors of vro it: I:\playstation emulation for the pc\pcsxsrc-1.5\r3000a.h(31): error C2146: syntax error : missing '')'' before identifier ''adr'' Can deport me on mail ( user32(a)mail.ru ) workings source codes.
  15. Whistler

Whistler Whistler

use the included project file (inside the win32 subdirectory) instead of creating one yourself.
    or define the _MSC_VER_ macro in your project.
  16. nhyone

nhyone New Member

It's been over a year. Has there been any updates? :D

The reason I ask is that recently I got interested in PSX emulation. However, PCSX was last updated in 2003 and even the last official ePSXe release was in 2008. That led me to wonder if there are still things to do, or are the current PSX emulators good/fast enough?

For example, I did a quick-n-dirty benchmark to get a rough idea of PCSX/ePSXe speeds:
    PCSX (interpreter): 70 fps
    PCSX (recompiler): 130 fps
    ePSXe: 140 fps

(Same scene and same settings.)

PCSX doesn't seem that bad for a 2003 SW. I know its recompiler is not really optimized (having looked at it), but is it the bottleneck? Or are there other parts that require more work? (Better compatibility, speed, for example.)
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2010
  17. Whistler

Whistler Whistler

I think the speed shouldn't be a problem unless on a Pentium 2 or something like that.

IMO the biggest bottleneck of PCSX is still compatibility issues, basically even things like FF8 and FF9 crash at certain points with the last official release (although these 2 are fixed in some unofficial forks), and many games don't run at all.
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2010
  18. Smooth Criminal

Smooth Criminal New Member

all the best squall......
  19. DarkSamus

DarkSamus PC game modder Award Winner!

If there was something happening with this I am sure Squall would have something in his sig about it!

This thread had not had any posts for a year when nhyone bumped it
  20. shalma

shalma Discontinued Emu Author

Whistler's PCSX-reloaded fork is actively maintained (check the sourceforge changelog docs). Nice work on the areas it strengthens.

But Whistler is right about the core emulation. Many who want to improve the PS1 behavior have less experience or simply don't quite know what to target.

At best, we can just 'simulate' or 'copy' other emus behaviors and possibly inherit their problems. Which is better than the current state, but may not be good enough for hackers who really need that precise IRQ/GPU behavior (Gemini had all sorts of display garbage when working on his SOTN-J VWF translation - too slow on real hardware to draw everything, other details I don't know about).

Docs are harder to find. Meaning this reminds me of the BSnes tests Byuu did with his SNES emulator (DMA cycle variations, IRQ funkiness, cycle-exact interrupts, open bus, mid-scanline updates, lots of other weird stuff I really can't remember). He worked on them a long time but if you look at his emulator, there's virtually no (0?) emulation hacks. And unarguably uber-compatible. The old snes9x builds was based on the hacks philosophy until someone came along to sort it all out. The SPC700 accuracy is a whole other field though.

NES had blocked firing double IRQs + 'delayed NMI execution' - another odd piece of info that fixed FCEUltra right before Xodnizel finished his claim in it.

Is there someone -that- dedicated (and knowledgeable) for psx testing? I believe there is. Naturally not me - knowing RISC and archaic asm languages doesn't mean a whole lot here.

Okay. I'm coming back to my senses now. Done rambling.

Do we know what sub-specific areas are problematic?
    - MDEC crashing games? Why is pSX the only run to run Rebel Assault 2 like cakewalk? Why does Creature Shock crash during the movie-on-rails gameplay parts?
    - Is some DMA mode breaking Syphon Filter 2 / Harvest Moon?
    - How did ePSXe 1.7.0 get those new games running? Really good timing values or hidden stuff?
    - There's the Vib Ribbon custom music disc problem. Which may just be a non-data disc problem like Leonheart mentioned elsewhere.
    - Other stuff I'm not aware of. ;p

Maybe we should start collecting 'homebrew, experimentally works' docs on hacks done that fixes some games / breaks others. Until some talented genius comes along and shows us what we did wrong. :D
  21. Squall-Leonhart

im still questioning how PCSX has the exact same input glitches on the analogue sticks in ff8 as epsxe....