Developers wanted for PCSX Revival!

Discussion in 'PCSX Discussion' started by Squall-Leonhart, Dec 31, 2008.

1. shalma

shalma Discontinued Emu Author

The official pcsx-reloaded site
    PCSX-Reloaded - Home

@madmab
    Check the SVN there. You're missing lots of updated material. GTE fixes got backported quite awhile ago with new ones for Motor Toon GP, Valkyrie Profile. And whatever else. ^^
    - for spu, see DSound 1.09a repair (ngemu) for latest data (source)
    - for gpu, ask about edgbla's soft gpu plugin
    - for controllers, see either dfinput or nuvee plugin (mouse-guncon + debug dummy multitap @ ngemu)

Just that some of the devs hang out around here for convenience.
    - Me + Hopkat = passive retirement though

=======================================

Compatibility:
    Xebra (highly accurate)
    ---------------------
    ePSXe 170 + ePSXe_shark
    pcsx -> pcsx-df -> pcsx-reloaded svn
    pSX 1.13

ePSXe 170 seems to have better general compatibility than pcsx-reloaded
    - Parasite Eve 2, some other glitches
    - ePSXe_shark tries to update 170 with pcsx-r research

pcsx-reloaded has unique features
    - gameshark cds
    - full negcon support (+ Wipeout 3)
    - ??? (don't remember)

and outdoes ePSXe 170 + ePSXe_shark at times
    - Fear Effect 2 art gallery
    - ??? (don't remember)

It's complicated and I don't recall a lot anymore.
    - Use Xebra for almost anything
    - Switch between ePSXe_shark <---> pcsx-reloaded when needed
    - pSX tends to suffer from lots of compatibility problems compared to the others atm
  2. Madmab

Madmab New Member

Hey there.. thanks.. yes I've been looking at the svn and managed to implement most of the fixes effected by changes to cdrom code changes. I just wanted to have an idea of what things to look for with the gte code update. Since the only explanation I see given is "more accurate" and the only real life example I managed to find was CTR. So I was just looking to find other games to check so I can verify.

Thanks
  3. shalma

You know, I'm not so sure what it fixes. ^^
    - Crash Team Racing (like you've brought up)

- I think Motor Toon GP worked with 1.9.92 (so that doesn't count)
    - There was problems with Tales of Destiny 2 (underwater colors) (worked with 1.9.92 also i.t.)
    - There was something about Lego Racer menu crashes (did this happen with 1.9.92?)
    - I've heard there's something about 007 - World is not Enough geometry (GTE?)

Sorry. I actually don't know. Really stumped.

Maybe edgbla or Whistler knows (the other 2 heavyweights who were around when the changes were backported)
  4. Madmab

Madmab New Member

Thanks for the responses. I dont remember "World is not enough" working in earlier builds. Any idea what was changed to get that one working? (What revision)?

I'll try and post over in the reloaded post section when I get a chance.
  5. shalma

My first guess is one of the cdrom changes - could be the one with Sim Theme Park psx.

I've seen a screenshot of svn playing it though. Correct geometry and all at lobby.

edit:
    Or maybe Crusaders of Might and Magic also.
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2011
  6. hankhoser

hankhoser The Wingman

So did the XA attenuation fix get implemented? I'm using r67643 (June 9th) release and the Tekken 3 music doesn't fade out at the end of a fight.
  7. klein

klein New Member

hi....this emulator is very good and i would like to say thanks for the developers...but i having some problems with front mission 3...when you will give the final blow on the enemy with low HP,almost dying and with the legs broken the game freeze in recompiler...some of the developers please take a look in this problem...i realy like this game.
  8. dario_napole

dario_napole New Member

reported something very similar a while ago at codeplex
    http://pcsxr.codeplex.com/workitem/8834
  9. Stewie

Stewie Classic Gamer

Team Buddies Does not Load

also, When PCSX is in FullScreen using Gsdx/Petes Vid Plugin, its is difficult to Minimize the Emulator or make it windowed.

Also, there needs to be a Way to Limit the FPS when using Gsdx, I get over 500fps with it.

Lilypad is also a Little Buggy with PCSX, Lilypad is the Best PS1 pad Plugin out there and the only one with Xinput
  10. Yar-Tour

Yar-Tour New Member

Shalma, can you, please, fix your patch 9156? Because it cause voice distortion in Valkyrie's Profile and game strangely freezing in random dialogues (Most time in first scene with Odin, when he says that Valkyrie can get up) I've created workitem on codeplex: http://pcsxr.codeplex.com/workitem/9019
  11. shalma

Sorry. I'm not involved with the project (or most psx research) anymore.

Just looking at the commit, I'd suggest a regression - just wipe out all the new irq + decoded buffer stuff (likely the problem here) and revert back to a working state. I've broken enough crap and don't know how to fix this one in particular.
  12. notaz

notaz New Member

edgbla, what games did a patch from issue 8874 break?
  13. miapool7

miapool7 New Member

I just finished reading through the 34 pages... Thanks for all the work you've put into this, both to users and developers.
    Alhtough I've been following the scene for 10 years or so, I haven't been able to contribute.
    I'm almost done building my HW environment for PS1 software development, covering both Serial and Parallel connection (SCPH-75001, Sharklink and Xplorer).
    If it still helps, I can run/report hardware tests (and someday hopefully write my own hardware tests).
  14. MaddTheSane

MaddTheSane New Member

Hello. I am also a developer on PCSX-R, specifically the Mac front-end. I have implemented a memory card manager, as well as adding the net plug-in to the Mac build.
  15. KrossX

KrossX クロスエクス

Oh! You're that crazy guy that has been commiting stuff nonstop! Cool~ :D
  16. tikalat

tikalat New Member

Hi,

I'm starting to write emulator tests to help authors find bugs in their code, like the ePSXe team.

Currently I'm comparing everyone to Xebra since I can't run hw tests. But I find that behavior is different amongst all the leading emus (spu core anyway).

I've asked around for discussions or if other authors want to help out with the study.

Current psxtests (ext. loops)
    http://www.uploadcore.com/37l625cf7ejk

===================================
    ===================================

On a side-note, I've noticed that PCSX-reloaded dfsound is.. not that accurate compared to the other guys. Some stuff looks easy to fix like decoded buffer bug (this part doesn't work dfsound). And maybe some basic IRQ behavior. And maybe some small restructuring since it's just as confusing to read as DSound (Pete/Shalma) version.

But I'm not 100% confident some of the basic changes I had in mind to dfsound are hw-correct - they appear 99% pretty safe since everyone else does it that way.

Would you like a few diffs to push the dfsound plugin along a little further?

edit:
    Got some results from PCSX-Rearmed author notaz. Quite shocking stuff (and Xebra is wrong a lot).

Working on updating results. ^^

test1 = inconclusive results, not updated
    test2-4 = holy poly!
    test2-4 = now shows hw results
    http://www.uploadcore.com/78cnghkckb06/psxtests.7z

edit2:
    I have to assume there's some bad bug in the testing code. So please ignore everything. ^^
    Thanks.
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2012