ePSXe crashes if there's an active internet connection....

Discussion in 'ePSXe Discussion' started by rhyxx, May 11, 2012.

1. rhyxx

rhyxx New Member

I've been using ePSXe for several years now, and have never had any problems with it, until now that is.

I just finished my new PC build and went to go run the emulator, only to have it crash. I've spent the last 3 days troubleshooting EVERYTHING possible to try find out what it could be... and it's simply one thing.

If there's an active internet connection when the computer starts, ePSXe crashes. If the cable is unplugged / adapter is disabled / etc., then it works absolutely fine.

Has anyone had any issues with this, or have seen anything like it?

I've tried disabling the onboard LAN and using a PCI and a PCI-E ethernet card, and both have done the same thing as the onboard LAN. Netplay is disabled (not even configured), DEP is disabled, and every other thing I could think of that would be causing it to crash has been looked at. But I have it down to just the internet, and it makes no sense to me whatsoever.

The log file is as shows; it crashes right at the last line when trying to load Suikoden II:

* Running ePSXe emulator version 1.7.0
    * Memory handlers init.
    * ePSXe: PSX BIOS loaded [bios\scph1001.bin].
    * Loading ISO Format [MDF/BIN/IMG2352] ok
    * First/Last track: 1 1
    * Track 1: (DATA) - Start 1: (00,02,00) - Length 48:31
    * NTSC cdrom detected. (SLUS_009.58)
    * Doing init gpu [0]...

pSX / psxfin works absolutely fine, so I can use that in the meantime, but I really like the customizability that ePSXe has that I can use my graphics card to really make the older games look great, something pSX can't do.

PCSX reloaded does the exact same thing that ePSXe does, by the way.

Here are my PC specs, if they would help for some reason. Thanks for your assistance. I appreciate anyone's help, and thanks in advance! If there's any other info you need, let me know.

---
    Windows 7 Professional (x64)
    ZOTAC nVidia GeForce GTX 560 PCI-E video card
    Intel Core i7 2700k processor (OC to 4.2 GHz)
    16 GB Crucial 1600 MHz 9-9-9-24 RAM
    ASRock Z77 Pro3 LGA 1155 Motherboard
    Mushkin Chronos 120 GB SATA 3 6 Gbps SSD
  2. NGEmu.com Advertisement

3. rhyxx

rhyxx New Member

So far, the only fix I have (which is a pain) is to Disable the Network Adapter, log off of Windows, log back in, then start ePSXe. It works then, and once the game is loaded, I can turn the Network Adapter back on and everything works peachy, as long as I don't exit the game back to the ePSXe GUI, at which point it will crash if I try to resume playing the game.

Any clue to a permanent fix?
  4. Foxfyre

Foxfyre Emulation Junkie

Wow...thanks for this thread! I've spent the last 2 days trying to figure out why both my new desktop and my new laptop now refused to run ePSXe or PCSX (any version).

Try your trick, and boom, they work!

Can't think of a fix for it tho...this is definitely a weird bug!

Oh and btw...I'm using a TP-Link wireless usb adapter for my internet. Looks like you're using wired for yours...so it's probably just network connections in general.

My siggy is wrong atm...here's my build.

AMD Phenom II 960t Quadcore
    8 gigs DDR3
    HD 6870
    1 TB HDD
    Last edited: May 23, 2012
  5. thelittlegumnut

thelittlegumnut New Member

did you try a reinstall? even a system restore?
  6. rhyxx

rhyxx New Member

Yes, I did a clean install of Windows and made sure to run ePSXe before putting any other programs on, just in case they would conflict, and it did the same thing. I took all of my files as-is and copied them to my wife's laptop, and the emulator ran perfectly fine.
  7. KrossX

KrossX クロスエックス

Check for infections, or try a whitelist on your security thing. Maybe something tries to verify the executable while it begins to run, it pauses it or smething, and leads to crash.
  8. rhyxx

rhyxx New Member

After the clean install, I checked for infections just in case, and it came up clean. All security/antivirus/antispyware/etc. are disabled when I'm trying to figure this out.

I just can't figure out why the enabled ethernet adapter is what is causing the issue... and this is after trying a few other ethernet cards.
  9. KrossX

KrossX クロスエックス

Last edited: May 24, 2012
  10. rhyxx

rhyxx New Member

I tried redownloading and using a fresh config before, but it didn't work. I went ahead and tried it again just to be sure, but still nothing.

As for the ProcessMonitor, I ran it both before disabling the ethernet adapter (when it doesn't work,) and again after disabling the ethernet adapter (when it does work.)

Feel free to take a look at them yourself and see if you see anything out of the ordinary; they're hosted here at my web site.

Before Disabling the Ethernet (~2 MB)
    http://jfaq.us/ePSXe_before_disable.PML

After Disabling the Ethernet (~6 MB)
    http://jfaq.us/ePSXe_after_disable.PML
  11. KrossX

KrossX クロスエックス

It seems there's a thread exit right after checking Pete's OGL2 reg entries, as opposed to checking the VIDEO DeviceMap. Video driver related perhaps?

Try removing all plugins from the plugins folder and leave only PEOPS Soft.
  12. rhyxx

rhyxx New Member

Nope. The same thing happens with any video plugin, and I've tried every one of Pete's.

I ran the ProcessMonitor again after using just Pete's Soft Plugin, just in case it errored out somewhere else.

http://jfaq.us/ePSXe_before_disable_(SOFT).PML
  13. KrossX

KrossX クロスエックス

Same thing, right after the reg entries for PEOPS soft there's the thread exit. =S
    It seems something happens right there, but wut. Very very weird indeed.

Try with msconfig (WIN+R, type it and enter) and disable all non-microsoft services (there's a checkbox) and startup things. See if it works after reboot.

If and only if you're willing, take a before and after again but unfiltered (reset the filters to default, big log). Compress them with 7zip and send them to me by PM (as it may contain IPs and stuff). This is in order to see what other things are doing when this happens.
  14. rhyxx

rhyxx New Member

All right, in the process of getting everything ready for KrossX, I figured it out.

Service: TeamViewer 7

TeamViewer is a free software to remotely access your PC. Apparently while the TeamViewer service is running, is causes ePSXe to not run at all.

I'm thinking that when I did the clean install, I didn't have the Microsoft Visual C++ 20xx Redistributable installed, which is why it errored out before. That's the only thing I can think of that could've caused the first error after the clean install.

I went through every service on my PC and enabled it, just to be sure, and TeamViewer was the only one that cause ePSXe to crash. I guess that's another program/service to add to the list of "Things that cause ePSXe to crash."

Foxfyre, do you have TeamViewer installed by chance? If so, go to your "Run" menu (Windows Key + R) and type "services.msc", and disable "Teamviewer 7." If that's the case, then it should get you going. We can still use TeamViewer; we'll just have to make sure to disable the service before using ePSXe. You can create a batch file to do so; just rename any text file to "start_teamviewer.bat" and "stop_teamviewer.bat" (or something like that), then paste the following lines in the first and second document, respectively, making it much easier to manage.

net start "TeamViewer 7"
    net stop "TeamViewer 7"

If it's not TeamViewer, then do as KrossX suggests. (As for above, you can put any Service between the quotation marks to start/stop it.)

1) Go to your "Run" menu (Windows Key + R) and type "msconfig".
    2) Go to the "Services" tab.
    3) Check the "Hide All Microsoft services" tab.
    4) Hit "Disable all" to disable every non-Microsoft service, then reboot.
    5) Test ePSXe; if it works, start enabling the services one by one until you run into the one that causes ePSXe to crash.

Thanks again for your help, KrossX.

Foxfyre, keep us posted on what happens with yours. (Cool avatar, by the way. I wrote a guide for Grandia 2. ;D )
  15. KrossX

KrossX クロスエックス

Excellent! That's another weird issue busted today. =D
    Well done indeed rhyxx.
  16. Foxfyre

Foxfyre Emulation Junkie

Yup I have TeamViewer installed. So we know the source of the bug completely now huh?

Next time I'm at my computer I'll check it out but that's probably the issue. Glad someone figured it out. I never would have.
  17. rhyxx

rhyxx New Member

Cool, I hope it works for you!

Now I have the ambition to work on Chrono Cross and enjoy it with some awesome cel-shading. :)

Thanks again for all the help.

--Quick follow up: You can still have TeamViewer running in the system tray and it will work just fine, it's just the Service that's used to have it begin with Windows (I think it was installed as part of the "unattended" process) that has to be stopped.
  18. thelittlegumnut

thelittlegumnut New Member

ha! teamviewer eh? i wouldn't have ever guessed. well done :D
  19. q92042810

q92042810 New Member

Thank you very much!!! I use Teamviewer too and now I can enjoy my ps games freely.
  20. jishima

jishima New Member

Kinda late on this, but I have some additional info I want to share.

First of all, because I didn't have that problem before, I didn't expect Teamviewer to be the problem. So I'm really glad I found this thread, I was almost ready to give up.

I wondered why it only crashes when Teamviewer is running AND online, so I did some testing and found out it's actually QuickConnect that causes the crash. If you don't need QuickConnect, just turn it off and you're good to go. If you actually use it, just toggle it off by rightclicking the Teamviewer icon in your systray and toggle it back on when you're done playing. Hope that helps someone.
  21. ElectricPrism

ElectricPrism New Member

I just resolved the problem by killing TeamViewer and WAMP in my system tray. Is it a problem with things that reserve port 80?