ePSXe Mac OS NoUI - How can I edit the Settings ?

Discussion in 'ePSXe Discussion' started by Mouradif, Apr 21, 2017.

1. Mouradif

Mouradif New Member

Hello there,

I am under Mac OS Sierra and happily playing PSX Games with ePSXe 2.0.5 for Mac, except it doesn't have a UI, so no menus. That would have been fine if there was at least a text file where the program loads its settings from so I could edit at least the gamepad settings. Anyone here has any idea how I could affect the gamepad settings on this version ?

Thanks in advance
  2. NGEmu.com Advertisement

3. dpence

dpence New Member

from the epsxe homepage (it was for 2.0.2 but holds for 2.0.5 too)
    ePSXe 2.0.2 for MacOSX have been released.

You can find it in the downloads section (how to install below).

First release for MacOSX using the 2.0.2 core - 64bit version (alpha). There are 2 packs for MacOSX. Follow the next steps depending on your selection

A) No UI version.

1) Download http://www.epsxe.com/files/ePSXe202.app.zip
    2) Double click in the download folder to uncompress.
    3) Copy ePSXe202.app to /Applications
    4) Run ePSXe202 from Applications to create the config files. (Go to system preferences - Security and Privacy to allow the app to run)
    5) You can config by edit $HOME/.epsxe/epsxerc. It is recommended to copy your PS1 bios (scph1001.bin) to $HOME/.epsxe/bios/
    6) To run a iso, uncompress your iso, then choose in your iso "open with" and select ePSXe202, or drag and drop your game in ePSXe202.
    7) To run a cdrom, config your cdrom path in $HOME/.epsxe/epsxerc and double click in ePSXe202.
    8) For other options, you have to run from a terminal and use command lines.

B) UI version (Gtk3).

Epsxe for MacOSX is a port from the Linux version and the UI is based on GTK+3. Due to MacOSX dependencies system you will need to get the GTK+3 libraries used when it was compiled. So it is recommended to use HomeBrew to install.
    1) Install HomeBrew (http://brew.sh)
    2) Run from a terminal: brew install http://www.epsxe.com/files/epsxe.rb
    3) Now you can run epsxe from a terminal.

Regards,
    ePSXe Team.
  4. Mouradif

Mouradif New Member

Sweet !! Thanks a lot ! I will try this right away !

EDIT: Is there any documentation on the Input keyCodes ?

RE-EDIT: I also tried to install the Gtx version, when I try to launch epsxe I get this :

$ epsxe
    zsh: killed epsxe
    $
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
  5. Mouradif

Mouradif New Member

Anyone ? For the keycodes ? Currently the Keys1 line in my epsxerc looks like this :

Keys1 = 119,116,101,114,100,120,122,115,99,0,0,118,1073741906,1073741903,1073741905,1073741904

I suppose it's the default settings, it sets 16 keys (I guessed R3 and L3 for the 2 zeroes) but I can't seem to find any documentation about the order of the keys and the keycodes (especially since some keys are assigned to numbers like 1073741906)

Thanks in advance

EDIT : Ok so I figured the letters on the keyboard are represented by the ascii code of their lowercase version and I guess the 4 large numbers at the end are arrows but I don't feel like trying all the numbers to find Ctrl, Alt, Shift, Tab, etc... so I guess I'll have to play along. If anyone could help though it would be nice
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2017
  6. LiquidDivide

LiquidDivide New Member

I realize this is late, but since I just figured this out, figured I'd post for anyone else looking. Thinking of writing a quick guide for configuring on no-gui mac since the GUI version doesn't launch on Sierra.

You are correct. The arrow keys don't have ascii values though. I'm not sure what values they're using for the arrow keys. I prefer my directional keys to be on IJKL anyway, so I modified mine to be that way. I did create a new comment in the epsxerc file for myself that lists the buttons the keys map to in the correct order.

Code:
    # Button order: shoulder(L1, R2, L2, R1), triange, circle, cross, square, select, L3/R3?(?, ?), start, DPAD(up, right, down, left)
    (I'm not sure what the L3/R3? part actually is. That's my guess) I put that line right under the Input Options comment so I could quickly figure out what button was what.

Create a backup before editing. If you didn't and something is messed up, you can delete the file and run epsxe to generate a new default one.

As an additional bonus, if you want to be able to launch epsxe from a command line (for XBMC/Kodi or Emulationstation launching goodness), you need to run this command in a terminal once you've copied ePSXe205 to your applications directory:
    Code:
    sudo ln -s /Applications/ePSXe205.app/Contents/MacOS/epsxe /usr/local/bin/epsxe
    Enter your password when it prompts for it. Once that's done, you can now type
    Code:
    epsxe -h
    and you should get back the help documentation for the command line.