ePSXe on laptop

Discussion in 'ePSXe Discussion' started by talonCT, Jul 5, 2009.

1. talonCT

talonCT New Member

I've been playing PS games for a while on my laptop and im trying to maximize the performance on my machine (which is no superstar). does anyone know plug-in types and settings that are best for me? here are my specs...

OP- Vista 64-bit
    Processor- Core 2 Duo T5550, 1.83Ghz, FSB=667Mhz, Cache:2MB
    Ram- DDR2 4GB
    HD- 320Gb, 5400rpm
    GPU/VPU- Intel Graphics Media Accelerator X3100, 384MB dynamic Vid. Mem.

I usually use Pete'sOGL or Pete'sD3D with "nice" settings and it mostly works well with some slow down... suggestions?

btw, CD plug-in suggestions for my virtual drive (daemon tools lite) would also be helpful
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2009
  2. NGEmu.com Advertisement

3. Phil

Phil 339.9 Award Winner!

Use CDR Mooby and play the ISO that way.
  4. talonCT

talonCT New Member

okay, found it, what settings are good and, do u suggest I use ePSXeCutor?

oh and with the CDR Moody, and error comes up "Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library, Runtime Error, abnormal program termination." im using daemon lite, my computer recognizes it and it worked with the default Cd plug-in... whats up?
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2009
  5. karas81

karas81 .:Enigmatic Protagonist:.

Well, yes...
    But you should understand its use first :thumb:

If you're using ePSXe v1.7.0, just select the default CDR plugin + use daemon tool to mount your games...that will be more then suffice.
  6. talonCT

talonCT New Member

yeah Hannibal81, the default works nicely, now is there a FAQ for ePSXeCutor you can make a link for in your next reply? i found a tutorial on GrandFiles.com... they use the eCutor, but its for 1.6, is this any good? (i use 1.7 exclusively)
  7. jonc2006

jonc2006 God of Douchebagness™

the ePSXeCutor is just a frontend, its not really a necessity.
  8. karas81

karas81 .:Enigmatic Protagonist:.

Well, I can't advise anything unless its my own work, but I think the first thing you should read is the documentation included with epsxecutor (the readme file), to understand its basics, what for ...etc, then you can move to online tutorials (I suggest those with illustrations, to get you faster/farther to the required skills), and to tell, I couldn't find a good one...Oh and I'm really busy/lazy to create one for ya :/...
  9. hushypushy

hushypushy <font color=#FFFFFF><b>the only one you've ever SE Contributors

When did File -> Run ISO fall out of favor? I've been ripping my own ISO's and loading them via Run ISO for literally years and I've never had a problem with it!

Anyway, talonCT, what game(s) are you trying to play, and what sort of problems are you having? The only thing I can see so far is slight slowdown...that can be fixed with some slight settings tweakage. If you're cool with software as opposed to hardware acceleration, you can try the Peops software GPU on ePSXe, or pSX emulator, and you are almost guaranteed better performance because your CPU is good but your GPU is weak.
  10. Squall-Leonhart

Squall-Leonhart NGemu Award Winner Award Winner!

since Galtor/Calb broke the iso loaders swap disk function.
  11. talonCT

talonCT New Member

epsxeCutor is sick, i love it, it was easy to figure out, it solved my mem card issue, now i can create as many as i want :). i still use the run iso function sometimes, its the disk change issue thats a problem, but not anymore now that i use a virtual drive. as to what games i play, everything worth playing on PSX: FF's, Colony Wars, Street Fighter Alpha 3, CTR and so on and so forth, lets just say i needed much more than the standard 30 mem card slots. certain games run slow with specific plug-ins, for instance, FF8 looks great with Pete'sOGL, but its intolerably slow, with D3D its better, slow down is acceptable. Yet, games like Looney Toons Sheep Raider and CW Red Sun play fine with OGL with "nice" settings (and they look great by the way). Also, there is hardly no difference with slow down using either plug-in if i use "fast" or "nice" settings, so i use "nice" with both. i really would like to be able to use OGL2 with all the advanced textures and shading... oh well. smoothing sprites, no matter what plug-in/game combination causes SEVERE slow down. Valkyrie Profile is unplayable, as is Castlevania SotN, but pixilated sprites dont affect the game play thankfully.
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2009
  12. Squall-Leonhart

Squall-Leonhart NGemu Award Winner Award Winner!

if its slow, you're doing it wrong.
  13. hushypushy

damn, ePSXe is so sensitive, each version takes 5 steps forward and 1 step back. It's not like they really have to fix anything, they just have to make all their fixes work together with each other :lol:
  14. Phil

Phil 339.9 Award Winner!

I vote for epsxe and Pcsx2 to join forces and make one emulator
  15. talonCT

talonCT New Member

can u be more specific?

Peops works really speedy, thanks, but the polygons look like poop... even with stretching and dithering (they just smooth out the pixilated mess)
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2009
  16. Strike105X

Strike105X ヒットハード&高速 Award Winner!

Peops is the perfect plugin for 2D games though i dont mind playing 3D games with it as well it gets me melancholic.
  17. jonc2006

jonc2006 God of Douchebagness™

and since it doesnt use hardware acceleration the overall image quality is not going to look as clean and polished as it would when using the D3d or OGL plugins, its going to resemble the look of a game being played on a real psx.
  18. Strike105X

Strike105X ヒットハード&高速 Award Winner!

I actually like that more a look closer to the real PSX (this thread made me wanna replay Ace combat with PEOPS again) to me some 3D games look actually uglier when polished :/
  19. Dadaluma83

Dadaluma83 New Member

I don't know I can only use Peops for 2D games. Can't stand the pixelation for 3D games.
  20. hushypushy

Try these settings in Pete's D3D plugin and let me know how you get on.

Plugin: Pete's D3D Driver 1.1.77
    Author: Pete Bernert
    GFX card: Mobile Intel(R) 4 Series Express Chipset Family

Resolution/Color:
    - 640x480 Window mode

Textures:
    - R8G8A8A8
    - Filtering: 0
    - Hi-Res textures: 0
    - VRam size: 0 MBytes

Framerate:
    - FPS limit: on
    - Frame skipping: off
    - FPS limit: Auto

Compatibility:
    - Offscreen drawing: 2
    - Framebuffer texture: 0
    - Framebuffer access: 4
    - Alpha multipass: on
    - Mask bit: on
    - Advanced blending: hardware

Misc:
    - Scanlines: off [0]
    - Unfiltered FB: off
    - Dithering: off
    - Screen smoothing: off
    - Full vram: on
    - Game fixes: off [00000000]
  21. talonCT

talonCT New Member

thanks hushpuppy, that works as well. the mgs suggested plugin settings from the FAQ still does'nt work great for me though. when the ninja goes cloak there is sever slowdown, i just put on the ir goggles... and the cutscenes are fuzzy.