ePSXe on Surface Pro

Discussion in 'ePSXe Discussion' started by weddi_eddy, Sep 24, 2013.

1. weddi_eddy

weddi_eddy New Member

Does anyone know the best configuration to get ePSXe running on the surface pro?

I have tried to use version 1.9.0 but it keeps crashing when I try to run something. Looking at the event viewer, it looks like it complains about some x.dll which when I look it up, it seems connected to Intel's Graphics.

I have tried other PSX Emulators and they work using the same BIOS and game but I want to use ePSXe as it's generally better.

Any thoughts? I can post more detailed information tonight when I attempt again.

Ps. How hard would it be for ePCSXe to make a WindowsRT app in the Windows store?
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2013
  2. NGEmu.com Advertisement

3. Squall-Leonh@rt

Squall-Leonh@rt Maybe I'm a Lion

What is an epcsxe?
  4. weddi_eddy

weddi_eddy New Member

That would be a typo. ePSXe**

I've fixed it to make your day better.
  5. Kaizen

Kaizen Qu'ils mangent de la brioche Award Winner!

A windows RT app is not for the pro model as it uses x86 and not arm.
    If you want epsxe then download it properly from the official site and not an app store in the form it is made for standard PC's

Download the latest direct X runtime, install the latest intel gpu driver and try epsxe again, it should operate fine
  6. weddi_eddy

weddi_eddy New Member

I know that but I was wondering if ePSXe had an RT app or if there ever would be the availability of one.

That's a good point about the lastest direct X runtime. I will give that a try and report back.
  7. weddi_eddy

weddi_eddy New Member

So it appears I have the latest runtime. DxDiag results below:

----------------
    System Information
    ------------------
    Operating System: Windows 8 Pro 64-bit (6.2, Build 9200) (9200.win8_gdr.130531-1504)
    Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
    System Manufacturer: Microsoft Corporation
    System Model: Surface with Windows 8 Pro
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3317U CPU @ 1.70GHz (4 CPUs), ~1.7GHz
    DirectX Version: DirectX 11

------------
    DxDiag Notes
    ------------
    Display Tab 1: No problems found.
    Sound Tab 1: No problems found.
    Input Tab: No problems found.

---------------
    Display Devices
    ---------------
    Card name: Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000
    Manufacturer: Intel Corporation
    Chip type: Intel(R) HD Graphics Family
    Display Memory: 1765 MB
    Dedicated Memory: 32 MB
    Shared Memory: 1733 MB
    Current Mode: 1920 x 1080 (32 bit) (60Hz)
    Output Type: Internal
    Driver Name: igdumd64.dll,igd10umd64.dll,igd10umd64.dll,igdumd32,igd10umd32,igd10umd32

When ePSXe crashes, the following appears in the event viewer:

ePSXe.exe
    ig7icd32.dll
    C:\Users\Eddi\Documents\Emulators\ePSXe\ePSXe.exe
    C:\windows\SYSTEM32\ig7icd32.dll

Has anyone else with the Surface gotten this working?
  8. weddi_eddy

weddi_eddy New Member

Ok. It works with the following:
    P.E.Op.S. Soft Driver 1.18
    Pete's DX6 D3D Driver 1.77

I guess this has to do with the built in Intel HD 4000 graphics chip built in the Surface Pro. These settings run it at about 40% CPU on the game I was testing.

What I found is that you can't simply 'x' out of the window as the process doesn't exit and you'll find yourself having to end the task manually with the task manager. It would be pretty cool if a fix for this could happen for future versions of ePSXe. Also, running this in Fullscreen mode is a bad idea as the only way to close it is with the start button and then to go back into the desktop and close the tab.

I'll screw around a bit with the settings and post back more information. The surface tablets run with the same specs.
  9. Shendo

Shendo R3000 Moderator

By pressing X you are killing GPU plugin only. That's why ePSXe is still running.
    You will need to press ESC on a keyboard or assign some gamepad button to ESC with Xpadder/Joy2Key.
  10. weddi_eddy

weddi_eddy New Member

Soo after doing some research, it appears that Microsoft has a custom version of the Intel HD graphics drivers that they updated in May. This custom driver doesn't like support for OpenGL. The theory is that if you uninstall the video driver and then install the generic one directly from Intel, then you get all of your OpenGL goodness back.

I say theory because I'm trying to download as I type this. Problem is that Intel's site is having issues and the download isn't working right now.

You have to also stop Windows from redownloading the Microsoft update. This can be done be selecting Never install device driver software from Windows Update from the change device installation settings menu.

I was actually trying to do something else with the tablet when I stumbled across this information. I'll try to test it out and let the forum know what I find.
  11. weddi_eddy

weddi_eddy New Member

Whoohoo! Results! :D

I tried to install the older version of the Intel HD Graphics 4000. No matter what I try from Intel's website, nothing seems compatible with the Surface. I uninstalled the Display driver and then did a restart. The Surface Pro reloaded the driver with a date of 12/5/2012. I'm not sure if this is what I started with or not.

In the Intel zip file I downloaded that has the new drivers (that don't want to load), there appears to be a folder called OpenCL. In this folder is an application called OCLSetup which installs the Intel SDK for OpenCL - CPU Only Runtime Package. Not sure what I was thinking, but I ran and installed it for kicks and giggles.

I don't know exactly what caused it but I'm now finding that I can run Pete's OpenGL2 Driver 2.9 with shaders if I desire. Pretty cool, huh? With the settings, I find that Fullscreen mode is a bad idea as it never centers itself on the tablet. The best I can come up with is the following:

Windows Mode checked
    Window size: 1250 x 650
    Internal X resolution: 1
    Internal Y resolution: 1
    Stretching mode: 1
    Render mode: 1

Not perfect, but it works...

Also, as for the whole ESC key thing. I created a *.bat file called Power Off.bat and put it on my desktop. This has the following line in it:

taskkill /im epsxe.exe

You have to click it a few times, but it'll eventually kill the task with a window.

I'd be curious to know if any other Surface tablets run the same way. I'm sure the world isn't flocking to buying them, but if someone who has one is reading this, then let me know if you give it a try.
  12. Squall-Leonh@rt

Squall-Leonh@rt Maybe I'm a Lion

Good job at destroying your memory cards.
  13. weddi_eddy

weddi_eddy New Member

Squall-Leonh@rt, what is your problem? Every post I've seen from you is negative.

I don't suppose you have a better idea for a touchscreen tablet that has no esc key?

Actually. I just reread ShendoXT's post. Perhaps Joy2Key is the way to go. I'll check it out.