Epsxe pressing start closes the emulator

Discussion in 'ePSXe Discussion' started by Storm934, Mar 3, 2017.

1. Storm934

Storm934 New Member

Hello. whenever I press start, the emulator exits itself for some reason. And when I try to change the input button, it goes in as j1_unk1 without pressing anything. Is there any solution to this?
  2. NGEmu.com Advertisement

3. SquishyPotatoe

SquishyPotatoe New Member

Which controller are you using?
    It's known that ds3 controllers are problematic

Does the same thing happen when using the keyboard for input?
  4. Storm934

Storm934 New Member

I'm using a ps4 controller with inputmapper.
  5. SquishyPotatoe

SquishyPotatoe New Member

Okay, there's your problem
    ePSXe doesn't like ds3/ds4 controllers for some reason- have to wait until the devs fix this problem

A simple workaround is to use a program called JoyToKey, which maps controller button presses to keyboard strokes
    Just use keyboard input for ePSXe then use JoyToKey to map your desired controller buttons to the corresponding keys. This should circumvent the emulator exit/j1_unk1 problem entirely.
    However I don't know if this will conflict with inputmapper, but give it a shot.

The downside is you can't take advantage of analog controls, and you have to fire up the program everytime you want to play a game with it.
    You can map the analog sticks to wasd keys and use them that way, but you dont have the true 360 degrees control essentially.
  6. FoxSevent

FoxSevent Not a Registered User

Or, or im just saying this install this.
    http://ds4windows.com/
    Set controls in ePSXe to XINPUT and no config needed, plus you can set additional commands, like i have the left side of the touch pad set as F3 and the right as F2, so i can save state without the keyboard.
  7. Storm934

Storm934 New Member

I tried using DS4 and i'm still having the same issues.
  8. FoxSevent

Really? in that case my only advice is to reinstall everything, drivers ePSXe etc, cause it shouldn't do that.
    How does pressing start closes ePSXe, what button do you press? and does it show any thing like crash, or just closes the entire process, it maybe that your button is also assigned to ESC.
  9. Storm934

Storm934 New Member

This also happens with other emulators where if input mapper or ds4 is unable to open the device exclusively, pressing start will exit the game and go to the epsxe menu, or in cases like visualboy or desume, resize the window for no reason. and when holding r1, it changes the resolution on epsxe.
  10. FoxSevent

Again, why i think your start button is assigned to ESC, and again why i advice to reinstall everything, as i have been using ds4 for a long time now with no issues.