ePSXe SPU Core causes bad frame rate

Discussion in 'ePSXe Compatibility' started by PringleLee q, Jul 20, 2016.

1. PringleLee q

PringleLee q New Member

Hi

This post is not me asking for help, but rather a problem I have noticed with some of the sound plugins which may be able to be fixed.

For some reason when I use ePSXe SPU Core, the frame rate struggles to stay at a solid 60. When I unlock the frame rate it's just a mess of 63-60-55-60 and so on. But when I use any other sound plugin like P.E.Op.S. Dsound or Eternal then the frame rate is perfect. Locked it's at 59.8 and unlocked it's like 200.

I generally use P.E.Op.S. and I think it's great , but the problem comes in when P.E.Op.S. doesn't work so great. With some games the sound is just a mess, it's supper scratchy,loud and you basically can't hear a thing, because of the interpolation setting(Gaussian interpolation). Now switching to the other interpolation settings does fix the problem, but then the quality isn't good. This problem does not apply to all games however. Silent Hill for ex. sounds perfect on P.E.Op.S. default settings(which is Gaussian interpolation), but Dino Crisis is a mess.

I have however found that Eternal is a great substitute. In the situation of a game where P.E.Op.S doesn't work great, I only use Eternal as a substitute. Because of the bad frame rate ePSXe SPU Core gives.

Sorry if I typed a little all over the place, but just wanted to bring it to everybody's attention and hear your thoughts about this. Do you experience the same problems? Do you know of any fixes, other than using Eternal as a sound plugin for those problematic games?
  2. NGEmu.com Advertisement

3. dpence

dpence New Member

it actually should jump around with the internal spu... I am assuming you are looking through pete's fps display... the latest epsxe releases internally control the framerate MUCH better than back when the gpu did it... basically pete's fps disply isn't accurate.. if you use fraps you will see while pete's jumps around, it (fraps) will be a steady 60 fps.. if you actually try to force pete's to stay a steady 60fps, games will have screen tearing and look jumpy.
    for me the internal SPU with normal latency hasn't presented any issues at all....in fact the peops spu gives me issues/static/weird speed...
  4. PringleLee q

PringleLee q New Member

Yeah I was using pete's fps display, but it wasn't jumping around when I used peops spu or eternal, only when using the internal spu. But as you said that is normal. But I have just used fraps and when using peops spu or eternal it's a solid 30fps, since most games I have are capped at 30. But when using internal spu it is also at 30 with a drop to 29 for like a millisecond every now and then.

I think the 60 fps in pete's fps is just an indication of the emulation speed and not the frame rate. This could be related to why I get a solid 30fps with peops and eternal, but slight drops to 29 with internal spu. But I haven't encountered any issues or weird speed with peops