epsxe v2.0.5 MacOSX x64 (Gtk3) Segment fault

Discussion in 'ePSXe Compatibility' started by Asahui, Nov 2, 2016.

1. Asahui

Asahui New Member

I install epsxe v2.0.5 via homebrew on OSX Yosemite (version 10.10.5 ). When I start epsxe in the console, it crash reporting segment fault.

I use otool -L to check the dependencies of epsxe, there is nothing
    [​IMG]

Log from system log tells: Failed to create CSSymbolicatorRef for epsxe
    [​IMG]

Any idea or suggestion to help?
  2. NGEmu.com Advertisement

3. Asahui

Asahui New Member

OK, I fixed the problem myself. In case there is someone meet the same problem, here is my solution along with problem searching.

1. First the download the doc. If you downloaded via homebrew, you will just get ePSXe_en.txt and ePSXe_sp.txt under the path /usr/local/Cellar/epsxe/2.0.5/share/doc/epsxe. One doc is missing.
    Code:
    wget http://www.epsxe.com/files/epsxeosx-2.0.5.x64.tar.gz
    and extract it
    Code:
    tar xvf epsxeosx-2.0.5.x64.tar.gz
    and you will find epsxe_mac_en.txt

2. From epsxe_mac_en.txt, you will know the libraries dependencies. Here we check GTK3 UI version.
    then we use
    Code:
    otool -L  /each/path/of/dependencies/
    the first row will show each library's version, and check whether it satisfies compatibility version listed in the doc

3. You will find there exist one library which lies on a slightly different path.
    Code:
    /opt/X11/lib/libcairo.2.dylib (compatibility version 11403.0.0, current version 11403.2.0)

Yes, this is the problem I met. Since epsxe depends on cairo and
    Code:
    brew info cairo
    you will find it optionally depend on x11. Homebrew offers such a tap. However, most of the time we use x11 provided by XQuartz. I installed XQuartz almost two years ago, so it is outdated. I just download the new version and install it again.

Bravo, epsxe works.

Here I jsut want to summarize: if you met some problem of starting up epsxe, check the dependencies.

Cheers mates. Enjoy such a wonderful gift given by our dedicate epsxe team.