ePSXe [vs] PSx 1.8

Discussion in 'General Screenshots' started by Hikki, Sep 2, 2006.

1. Hikki

Hikki I Love Emu

Chrono Cross - ePSXe

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Chrono Cross - PSx 1.8

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Bloody Roar II - ePSXe

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Bloody Roar II - PSx 1.8

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Crash - ePSXe

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Crash - PSx 1.8 : No working

TenChu 2 - ePSXe

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

TenChu 2 - PSx 1.8

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Resident Evil 1 - ePSXe

[​IMG][​IMG]

Resident Evil 1 - PSX 1.8

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2006
  2. NGEmu.com Advertisement

3. El_Diablos

El_Diablos iLLiDaN sTormRaGe

Oh, but ePSXe has many plugins, and u could make grafix pretty cute, also pretty bad :p
  4. Hikki

Hikki I Love Emu

i thinks PSx 1.8 run game 2d better than ePSXe
  5. @ruantec

@ruantec Crazy GFX coder Emu Author

with pSX you have a real psx feeling...it feels like playing on a real playstation in terms of graphics.
  6. Omegainf

Omegainf Penadinho

And it's pretty straightforward, just insert your cd and play! I just started playing "Lunar: SSSC" and instead of trying to find an optimal config on pete's ogl2 for this game I'd just launched pSX and it worked like a charm!

The only downside is that it doesn't like my gamepad rumble feature, it makes the gamepad enter in a constant rumble :p
  7. Shendo

Shendo Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Why constantly someone is to comparing pSX with ePSXe?

ePSXe is a plugin based emulator so the graphic quality depends on the graphic plugin,
    ePSXe may appear harder to configure but that is because it can provide various options/enhancements.

pSX is a emulator designed to provide feeling just like on a real PSX, you just pop game in and play the game,
    no enhancement of any sort (only Bilinear filtering, but pSX Author said that is only to imitate smoothing like on a TV).
    You probably mean because of the smoothes, for 2D games you can use P.E.Op.S soft plugin which will produce similar graphics.

I'm not saying that one is better from another, nope, use the one that suit your needs:

ePSXe - You want to enhance graphic/sound of your PSX games and
    play them in a high resolution with some extra stuff (eg. filtering and shaders).

pSX - You just want to play, no config, you just insert the cd
    and play like on a real PSX.
  8. TheCloudOfSmoke

TheCloudOfSmoke Menthol Flavored Junior Contributor Award Winner!

Shendo, you said almost exactly what I said, but I deleted my post because I forgot that this was the screenshots section and he was just showing the differences between the two. But it is kind of unfair to compare the two because ePSXe is supposed to enhance the PlayStation while pSX's primary focus is to accurately emulate the PlayStation, even the graphics. So ePSXe will always win in that respect.
  9. Seta-San

Seta-San PCSX2ベータテスター

i like PSx because of the lack of plugins to configure. It's a very straight forward experience. Not to mention it's very close in terms of compatibility.
  10. TheCloudOfSmoke

TheCloudOfSmoke Menthol Flavored Junior Contributor Award Winner!

I like it too. I wish that there were enhancements for the graphics but then I realize that I should appreciate that it's such an easy to use emulator. I would never be in PlayStation emulation right now if it wasn't for pSX. It was always a dreadful experience for me when trying to use ePSXe when going through the process of configuring the plugins so I just gave up on it.
  11. GaveUpTomorrow

GaveUpTomorrow New Member

I never found epsxe hard to configure at all. First playstation emulator I ever used, and I've never gone away from it. Of course I've tried psx, vgs, and a few others, but epsxe has always worked like a charm (especially with epsxeCutor).

But I really do like psx 1.8 though, it is very stable and runs most of the things I've tried on it (except for The Misadventures of Tron Bonne, which is misses some events...but epsxe also has this problem). Overall, I'd like to see the ability to slightly enhance the graphics with psx (maybe with a checkbox or something), but it isn't that important really.
  12. hushypushy

hushypushy <font color=#FFFFFF><b>the only one you've ever SE Contributors

this is apples and oranges folks, there's no reason to compare these. you can if you want...but there's not much use in comparing them.
  13. Xelse

Xelse Tentacle Rapist

Can't just say which one is "better", you have to be specific:

1) Which one is better at ease of use?
    2) Which one is better at offering more customizations and features?

Obviously plugin based always wins #2, and conversely never wins #1.

Video quality being "better" is also subjective. Some people like a TV feel. I happen to like the smooth rendering offered by Pete's OGL2 plugin.

Although "I don't know how to configure ______" is a valid reason not to like something, it's usually not the best way to rate how good something is. Also saying "I never had problems with _____" doesn't really take into consideration everyone else's level of expertise in computing. Some people just aren't as savvy with emulation.

edit:

I've tried pSX before, and the lack of video options led me to give it up pretty quickly. It's a really good PS emu, but I think it could be better if it added plugin support. They could leave the original options all there, but extra support for plugins. That way people who like the oldschool feel can enjoy their ease of use, and the people who are into customization can get their fill as well. Why are plugins good? Well people who design them usually specialize in that field, making each plugin superior in quality than say someone who knew how to do a bit of everything. Of course that's just generally speaking and not always the case :).

edit 2:

2 emus I'm currently keeping an eye on are ePSXe and SSSPSX. SSSPSX is very promising and is plugin based just like ePSXe, but there are some functionality issues I have with it... for example slower saved state loading and fullscreen window resize upon state load. Otherwise it looks like a very clean and easy to use emu, provided you know how to configure plugins.
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2006
  14. firyace

firyace New Member

You are absolutely right.I really love how epsxe makes everthing better, but it looses the convenience to psx. Sometimes, you just wanna the standard psx experience, and definitely want to avoid the trial and error. Its basically up to the users to decide which ones to use. Comparing screenshots is not even fair if you are comparing these two emulators.
  15. hushypushy

plus, you can't even compare some emulators anyway. i use ePSXe a lot, but i've also used PSXeven (for MGS, Xenogears, etc) and pSX (for Vib Ribbon). PSX emulation isn't a competition---all the emulators work together to give you the best experience.
  16. Dynamo

Dynamo Unrelenting

I agree. I find myself using SSSPSX mostly now, most problem with games i enjoy playing that occur in other emu's dont with it. Only thing that bothers me is
    Also saved states from previous versions of SSSPSX seem to not work and cause illegal OP when you try load them. But yea some emus are better for different games. I find myself using epsxe a lot less over the last while, mostly just because i know it will not be improving.
  17. Xelse

Xelse Tentacle Rapist

Another reason I don't like the SSSPSX save state feature is because it resets all the GPU plugin configurations to the one you initialized the game with. For example I can't use the onscreen fps controls to take off the limit and load a state expecting the limit to still be off. Or I have it fullscreen'd but my settings make the game start in window'd 1024x768, so when I load a state it reverts from fs to windowed.

I'm also surprised to note that SSSPSX states are ~4mb compared to ePSXe's ~1.5-2mb. wonder what all the extra info does?

edit:

funny thing is I tried to tell the creator about these things but I had a hard time cause I'm not that fluent in japanese unlike my grandma rofl. wonder if what i said even made sense to him? hahaaaaa
  18. Dark Watcher

Dark Watcher Coffee Demon Contributors

Hmm...worth looking into. Perhaps they are like AdriPSX save states. They are also slighty bigger, but have this perk that allows you to double click a save state file and autolaunches.

Maybe they capture more data sectors..For example if the game stops streaming data to load a level..You can play a whole save state level without even having the game disc (kind of like a demo)
  19. Xelse

Xelse Tentacle Rapist

Actually I think a good comparison is needed from time to time. It lets the developers know what their emu is particularly weak (or strong) in. Patting them all on the back and saying well done all the time doesn't always inspire improvement ;)
  20. hushypushy

you're missing the point, Xelse.

it's kind of like comparing a Honda Civic to a BMW M3. sure, they are both coupes...they have 5 seats...but they are for completely different purposes, different price ranges, etc etc. they do essentially the same thing but they are made very differently but different people in different countries and are targeted for different markets.

there is one side that has pSX, Bleem, and VGS---the "stand alone" PSX emulators. then the other side with ePSXe, PSXeven, SSSPSX, PCSX, and the myriad other PSemu Pro style emulators. from between sides, compare em all you want ;)
  21. Xelse

Xelse Tentacle Rapist

You're right, but then again I wasn't specifically referring to the pSX vs ePSXe when I made my post. I agree the pSX was designed for the most part to emulate a ps1 feel, and you can read its main goals in the readme: "to be easy and unobtrusive."

however in your example, even though both cars are designed for people of different price ranges and tastes, the cars still do one basic thing: get people from point A to B. If there is a large discrepancy between how one car does it (say 30 min faster), it's worth the time for the other car to have a look--Since in the emulation scene there is no price tag associated with change/improvement. Not that I'm saying there IS a large discrepancy, but comparisons are not totally out of the question. As long as people are comparing the correct things of course.