FAQ: Xbox 360 Emulation

Discussion in 'Misc Xbox Discussion' started by blueshogun96, Feb 20, 2010.

1. blueshogun96

blueshogun96 Last Xbox Emu Author Moderator Emu Author

Okay, now that I have moderator rights over the Xbox forums, time to shed some light on this.

1. Q: Is there an Xbox 360 emulator?
    A: No. There are no Xbox 360 emulators that exist as of yet. In fact, many FAKE Xbox 360 emulators have surfaced all over the web and youtube. So if you see one claiming any REAL commercial game compatibility, it's safe to assume it's a fake.

2. Q: Why is there no Xbox 360 emulator?
    A: The answer(s) to this are both simple and profound.
    • The hardware required to emulate it (in software) does not exist. It doesn't matter if you have a quad-core, hex-core, or even 12 cores, that's NOT enough to emulate Xbox 360.
    • The hardware isn't well documented enough to get any real results. There's enough to emulate simple homebrew and some basic hardware features, but not enough to emulate a commercial game such as Halo 3.
    • The majority of experienced Emu authors want nothing to do with it. That's the killer in a nutshell.

3. Q: Can it be done?
    A: Depending on the approach and implementation, yes. I (and another emu author who will remain namless) do believe it can be done to a certain extent.

4. Q: Are you going to write a Cxbx 360?
    A: Don't hold your breath.

5. Q: Can the 360 be HLEd with Direct3D9 like how Cxbx does with Xbox1?
    A: Yes. This possibility arose when the 360 SDK was leaked. There are two versions floating around, but this doesn't actually make it much easier at all.

6. Q: What would it take to emulate 360?
    A: It's too early to tell. Just assume your machine is not capable of handling it. One thing is already clear, you'll [most likely] need a Direct3D11 class GPU to handle it's tessellation engine, and I'm quite sure that you'd be limited to 64-bit OSes.

Normally FAQs don't need disscussion, but I'll go ahead and leave this open for any more input.
  2. NGEmu.com Advertisement

3. kingis85

kingis85 New Member

Nice faq Blueshogun

And if there will ever be xbox360 emulator it will be interesting to see what kind of a hypercore it needs to emulate game like call of duty 2 and then something like gears of war 2.

Glad that we atleast have a enough powerful machines to emulate the last gen machines. Ps2 had something like 450mhz processor and it needs 3 ghz dual core to get playable results and pcsx2 is very optimized and has alot of speedhacks.

But yeah i think that will also need more than one man to start that huge project.

And we still need to get the original xbox emulated, which is coming along nicely.

I think we will not see a xbox360 logo in ngemu frontpage for a few years:D
  4. Nokiaman

Nokiaman Member

Nice FAQ. I was always wondering about this stuff.
  5. Shock120

Shock120 New Member

woot, 64-bit and ATI 5870 :drool: (not really interested in 360 emu).
    I was wondering if xorloser's work on xex, "could" have anything to do with emulation? (before he was told to C&D)
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2010
  6. blueshogun96

blueshogun96 Last Xbox Emu Author Moderator Emu Author

Yeah, that's what initiated the possibility.
  7. Emulatong

Emulatong New Member

now that there is Jtaged consoles{tough limited for now},it's possible for to for hackers/Emulators developers to "extract" more info the can help for emulation?

what about Jailbroken PS3,can more info can be "extracted" as well?
  8. IvicaMarkovic

IvicaMarkovic Member

No! Jailbrake has nothing to do with Xbox360, and by the way, Xbox has been hacked long ago.
  9. Emulatong

Emulatong New Member

I know that PS3 has nothing to do with 360 emulation,but it has to do with PS3 emulation....
  10. Shock120

Shock120 New Member

xorloser is cool, is there anyone like him, that isn't scared of a C&D order from Microsoft?
    :'(

Edit: oops sorry for bumping. D:
  11. shadow_tj

shadow_tj Emu author Emu Author

There is comming more and more documentation.
    Problem is, its takes a lot of time.

But for who is interested.

Home of the Hitmen
    There you can find more information, documentation and Ida dissambler modules.

Thanks to Home of Hitmen as always :)
  12. Emulatong

Emulatong New Member

thx shadow,that is mean someone gone/want to try to make 360 emulator :emb: I will gladly be tester for that :thumb:
  13. shadow_tj

this does not mean someone is trying to make a emu.
    it only more information... for if someone is willing to spend time in it.

Hitmen is a person who likes hacking hardware and console and programming on it.
    I found his website years ago while he was developing psx software on Psyke.. thats a alternative of Yarozee.

But the info can help when people want to build there own 360 emu.
  14. IvicaMarkovic

IvicaMarkovic Member

Sorry to bump this, but i have a question.
    I am using game making software (Unity to be precise) that can compile for xbox360. Now, the question is, if i make series of simple demos (like cube without textures, or light samples, or just some basic input controlls), can this be helpful in emulation or it doesn't matter? Maybe in that way someone can pinpoint some functions. What do you think?
  15. shadow_tj

it can always be usefull when there are samples.
    specialy when someone is interested into trying to create a xbox 360 emulator.

However, for now at this moment.. there is nobody working on a xbox360 that i know of.
    So dont get your hopes up. that you will get a xbox 360 emulator soon.

But testing samples are always welcome.. if you can also place sources in it. then developers can read the code what is in it.. and try to emulate the same.
  16. IvicaMarkovic

IvicaMarkovic Member

Yes, samples can be exported as C source code. It is a shame that it can't compile in xbox format (only Win, Mac, Xbox360, PS3 and Wii), but if i stumble in something similar for xbox i guess that i can be of any use.
  17. tunizizou

tunizizou New Member

18. Nokiaman

Nokiaman Member

19. IvicaMarkovic

IvicaMarkovic Member

Xenia sure looks very confident. It looks like the new hero is coming.
    However, it's interesting that he's claiming that it could be done on existing hardware.
  20. Shock120

Shock120 New Member

21. JayFoxRox

JayFoxRox Member

Did he?

Personally I think his conclussions about GL vs D3D are a bit strange after saying the above though. - I'm pretty sure that the hardware manufactures can be convinced to create GL extensions to do the necessary things in shaders (if no such extension exists by now, or by the time the emulation is reaching a point where workarounds no longer work for emulating these).

I have a lot of respect for noxa, pspplayer was great and I had him on my watchlist since then. Best luck to him with this new project.