Fatal Frame 1 Fully playable on Pcsx2 Playground Vtlb version!

Discussion in 'PCSX2 Forum' started by Demi Fiend, Jan 7, 2009.

1. Demi Fiend

Demi Fiend New Member

Ok guys. I decided to test Fatal Frame 1 on Playground Vtlb Version and I was able to play it til the end using round mode chop. It seems that in the official Pcsx2 the game hangs all the time, so I decided to give it a shot on playground.

The problem is that the game is literally "haunted" by all kinds of bugs, so I'm going to list em all here and post some screen shots.

I'm gonna start with a bug list....

Graphical issues: The game presents many graphical errors, specially when taking ghost pictures. The screen gets all mixed with colors, really ****ed up.

Another graphical issue are the ghosts, ghost places and the water. You can see a lot of small dots around the ghosts and that happens also to the water and haunted places where you have to take pictures..

Text issue: Sometimes the letters disappears from the text box, specially on the save screen.

To finish, there are times when the noise effects on the screen gets messed by some lines, it looks like it is dividing the screen.

Sound issues: Sometimes while playing I lost the sound effects, only the BGM remained. To get the sound effects back it was needed to save the game and reload from the memory card. Reloading from a saved state won't fix the problem.

Emulation issues: Random freezes, random crashes.

Door bug: (sometimes I had to squeeze the character to get past doors, it seemed there was a invisible wall in front of open doors)

Cutscenes issues(some cutscenes makes the emulator crash, so in those it is needed to skip by pressing start).

Console error: All the time the console keeps showing an error called DMA trans Error.

VM Version makes the emulator crash after the new game screen.

Ok, I guess that's all, here are some screen shots, showing graphical issues, etc.
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2009
  2. NGEmu.com Advertisement

3. farhad_pcsx2

farhad_pcsx2 empier earth in new world

do you TRIAL fatal frame 2 in pcsx2
  4. Tony Luey

Tony Luey New Member

If this game is fully playable. How come, when I start the game it crash? What is correct setting? Im using rev 560.
    It just crash when it start to load.
  5. Demi Fiend

Demi Fiend New Member

What version of the game are u using ?? Pal, Ntsc?? Just use Round mode chop for EE recs and use VTLB version. The game crashes on VM version right at the start.

Anyway there is a LOT of issues, I just played for test... It is far from enjoyable. Be prepared for a lot of random freezes, random crashes, and emulation restart due to graphic and sound issues.

About Fatal frame 2, I was able to load it from a memory card save I did right at the start (since this game goes to a black screen right after new game), but the game goes to a black screen right at the first cutscene after the save. It seems the emulator doesn't do any kind of reading at all. Right after the first steps the emulator lose the sound effects The console didn't show any reading all the time up to the the cutscene where the screen goes black.

Here are pics:

Fatal Frame 2 Before cutscene:
    [​IMG]

Fatal Frame 2 when cutscene was supposed to load:
    [​IMG]

It seems Pcsx2 doesn't recognize the movie and voice codes used in Fatal Frame 2 and 3. It must be something like this that is causing Sound loss and black screens at movies/cutscenes... Btw, what happened to the attached thumbnails??
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2009
  6. rama2

rama2 Emu author Emu Author

Fatal Frame 1 works again on the vm build (rev 570 and up) :p
  7. Demi Fiend

Demi Fiend New Member

Awesome :) Hey Rama do a miracle for us and get rid of black screens from FF2 and 3 :D Btw, is the Dma error fixed ?:bow:
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2009
  8. Tony Luey

Tony Luey New Member

All Fatal Frame games are NTSC-USA.
  9. rama2

Nope, DMA error is still in and the other games still don't work (haven't looked at them yet, no time).
  10. Demi Fiend

Demi Fiend New Member

Well, then it's fully playable. Fatal Frame 1 of course. The other two still unplayable.
  11. Tony Luey

Tony Luey New Member

It crash when Movie start on New Game, but I load the game. There is nothing wrong.
  12. Demi Fiend

Demi Fiend New Member

Skip movies by pressing start. There are movies/cutscenes that makes the game crash, so keep saving states while ingame. But it's weird, the opening movie doesn't give me a crash, I can watch it alright. Also it is the only movie scene that doesn't trigger the DMA error.
  13. Tony Luey

Tony Luey New Member

I think the video plugins cause the crash. Im using GSdx 0.1.13, but using other plgins like ZeroGS 0.97.1. Its didnt crash at all, but it slower the game even with speedhacks.
  14. Butz_san

Butz_san DeSmuME user :D

The DMA bug make the game slower when it happens :(
  15. rama2

That's because the console is spammed with messages.
    We'll look at the problem soon, until then you could just disable the warning (if you can compile pcsx2 :) )
  16. Demi Fiend

Demi Fiend New Member

Guess I'll have to wait. I don't want to install visual studio, I'm too lazy har har! And I still have to learn how to use it, anyway. I never compiled anything ever.

Not only slower. The DMA error seems to be the cause for the mixed screens too. Because when I take pictures without the DMA error running, the pictures are ok. After the DMA error is triggered the pictures you take get all mixed and crazy.
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2009
  17. rama2

Can you test this build, see if the problems after those movies are gone, or at least better.
  18. Demi Fiend

Demi Fiend New Member

My pleasure man. Brb.
  19. Krakatos

Krakatos Registered User

I frankly don't see the point of posting a bug report on this forum, where most of the devs don't ever look....

We do have our own forum for bug reports after all...
  20. Demi Fiend

Demi Fiend New Member

You don't see the point but Rama is fixing problems on Fatal Frame thanks to this thread. And I'm glad he is using this forum to fix bugs, because we have always helped Pcsx2 with bug reports right here on Ngemu

Before Pcsx2 Playground section showed up people didn't even know Fatal Frame was fully playable on Pcsx2 playground, now we are all happy and doing all kind of tests to help fixing it, so excuse me.

And I will keep posting as many bugs I find in here and I'm sure people will appreciate it.

BTW: Rama fixed the pictures problems after the DMA error is triggered. Way to go Rama.
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2009
  21. Krakatos

Krakatos Registered User

uh.... I think you're missing my point, chill out....
    Point is, pcsx2 playground now has its own forum.... we have a bug report section there... and all the devs look at the bugs posted there.
    While only rama and maybe cotton from time to time look here

So, you can use this forum if you want, but for bug reports you'd be much better off posting there....