Feature Request

Discussion in 'no$psx Discussion' started by zincoxide, Feb 17, 2014.

1. zincoxide

zincoxide New Member

menu bar settings to adjust the window reolution to 640x480 and so forth.
  2. NGEmu.com Advertisement

3. nocash

nocash Emu author Emu Author

You know that you can resize the window by dragging the window border via mouse, don't you?
    It's snapping to multiples of the native PSX vertical resolution, ie. 224 lines, 448 lines, etc. for NTSC games.
    Concerning picture quality, 448 lines should be looking a lot better than 480 lines.
  4. Cybersnuff

Cybersnuff New Member

A simple Screen Filter or Smoother would be awesome so I can use it also on my HTPC with my Plasma TV.
  5. shikulja

shikulja New Member

cut-down gaming version
    4:3 aspect ratio need add
    alt+enter to go full screen
    add window size changer x2 x4 (in pannel)
    pause>resume
    hugo1-2 problems with sound in the title/ check this
    be-linear +(internal resolusion maybe)
    sound 24bit 192000 intorpolation
    when loading external bios - no sound
    net IP2IP connection (with compression for slow internet)
    ading external .lng for translations ^_^

me very like emulator) thanks
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2014
  6. nocash

4:3 aspect ratio need add
    Isn't the game window already matched to TV-ratio? Or is there a problem with it in the new gaming version?

alt+enter to go full screen
    Yes, would be common, but isn't possible because Alt and Enter are both used for joypad emulation via keyboard.
    You can toggle full screen mode via right mouse button's context menu.

add window size changer x2 x4 (in pannel)
    You can resize the window by dragging the window border via mouse. It does snap to 100% 200% 300% 400% zoom factors.

pause>resume
    Yes, would make sense for the gaming version (the debug version pauses when activating the debug window, but gaming version can't do that).

be-linear +(internal resolusion maybe)
    Planned... someday.

sound 24bit 192000 intorpolation
    Why that??? The PSX can produce max 16bit 44100Hz, and I doubt that resampling it to higher values would result in any audible improvements.
    Or is there some compatibility issue... like newer PCs being unable to output normal 44100Hz sounds?

hugo1-2 problems with sound in the title/ check this
    Okay, thanks!

when loading external bios - no sound
    Sound doesn't work when using the original Sony BIOS?

net IP2IP connection (with compression for slow internet)
    Uh, not so soon (if ever).

ading external .lng for translations
    For translating the no$psx windows gui? Probably not, I like english as "universal internet language". For the debug version it would quite complicated to translate it to non-english, and more difficult to maintain updates. And for the gaming version, I hope that people can deal with it (or learn a few english words if needed).
  7. Cybersnuff

Cybersnuff New Member

Support for Redump.org Files - Or is that very difficult to load the cue/Multi bin files? But its not that important...

And is there already a screen Filter/Smothing Option in No$PSX?
    if not it would really be great if there will be one in the next updates...
    It must not be that perfect as with epsxe and Petes Plugins cause that also takes a lot of Hardware Power...
    I tested No$PSX and its that fast also on little HTPCs. Thats really an awesome work already :)
  8. Shendo

Shendo Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Yes, but only in BIOS. It starts working once the game is loaded.
  9. shikulja

shikulja New Member

Lunar - Silver Star Story Complete (The Making of)
    *link removed*
    no sound
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 5, 2014
  10. nocash

Oh, I see. Looks as if sound has never worked within Sony's BIOS intro in any no$psx versions. Thanks, shikulja! The BIOS is using manual SPU RAM writes, which aren't working as intended. Interesting that this didn't have caused problems with any other PSX games - apparently they are all using DMA for SPU RAM writes (or if they use manual writes, then they must do it differently than the BIOS).

The thing that the BIOS is doing is writing multiple blocks to RAM, but without manually increasing the Sound-RAM address, and without toggling the transfer start/stop bits in SPUCNT register on/off - which means that I'll need to do a lot of hardware tests...

- Transfer start address must be initialized somewhere when writing multiple blocks to RAM (maybe on write to the address register, or maybe on changing the SPUCNT transfer mode from 0 to nonzero).
    - Current transfer address must increase somewhere (maybe on re-writing the SAME value to SPUCNT transfer mode bits, or just on any data writes at time when SPUCNT transfer bits are already nonzero).
    - And in case that writing the SAME value to SPUCNT transfer mode bits should happen to invoke transfers... then there would be a hardware-problem when acknowledging SPU IRQs (which does also envolve writing to SPUCNT, and which would thus invoke unwanted extra transfers alongsides with the IRQ acknowledging).
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2014
  11. nocash

Okay, got some stuff tested...
    - Current transfer address appears to be set when writing to the transfer start address register
    - Transfers are actually started even when writing the SAME transfer mode value to SPUCNT

So... quite possible that there might be some strange hardware effects when acknowledging SPU IRQs at times when the transfer mode bits are nonzero. I haven't tested that cases yet. It's probably no problem when the manual transfer fifo is empty (but might be a problem when it isn't empty; especially when the fifo-transfer is already in progress). And no idea what would happen when acknowledging SPU IRQs during active DMA transfers.

NB. writing the SAME transfer mode value to SPUCNT does mean that one cannot sense when the write gets applied (since SPUSTAT already contained that same transfer mode setting), so, instead, one must use some hardcoded delay (the BIOS is performing some crazy super-slow delay for that purpose... but I guess that a delay of one 44100Hz cycle (around 300h clks) should be enough).

Alongsides, I've noticed that the 32bit SPU_DELAY_SIZE memory control register is write-able even with 8bit/16bit write opcodes (=those opcodes do write a full 32bit value; despite of what they should do normally; eventually with a left-shifted value when writing to SPU_DELAY_SIZE+1..3). In fact it turned out that most PSX I/O ports are suffering from that (or similar) dirt effects. The only exception seem to be the DMA transfer length registers (these ones are fully supporting 8bit+16bit+32bit writes).
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2014
  12. shikulja

shikulja New Member

Thanks for writing. Interesting to read.
    Nice to see that the emulator doing.
    You said earlier that the old emulators worked at an even slower computers. May want to ask of the fact that they had a worse quality emulation. such as skipping frames?
    I do not know much English because something can not understand)
  13. cloudstr

cloudstr New Member

Last edited: Mar 14, 2014
  14. cloudstr

cloudstr New Member

Please add an option to adjust the brightness/contrast, remember snapshot location and auto save - auto load snapshot in new version
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2014
  15. cloudstr

cloudstr New Member

Hi gho, there is something wrong with snapshot feature. Sometime when i loaded snapshot, game freezes but still hear the sound. Then i save new snapshot, loaded again the freezes is gone and game work normal :eek:

i noticed a huge stuttering/choppy audio playback in the FMV? This happened in FF9 and Chrono Cross :(
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2014
  16. thingy

thingy New Member

Finally a PSX emulator which makes it easy to do an integer stretch! I don't get why so many emulators still don't take into account the limitations of modern fixed-pixel displays...
  17. luktom100

luktom100 New Member

I really adore this emulator. I find it the best of them all out there. The main reason why i do is becouse its fast, and dosent use so much resources like most of the PSX emulators. The main thing that i miss though is Bilinear filtering. Some games like Blood Omen or Diablo really, really need this, becouse the graphics is too sharp and ugly. Also would it be possible to add Controller plugins support ?? There are some pad plugins, which allows you to lock on/off buttons, or bind keys to mouse buttons and axis. It works really great with games like DOOM, DUKE Nukem, or other TPP/FPS games for PSX.