Final Fantasy 10 runs slow

Discussion in 'PCSX2 Forum' started by JoonKimDDS, Mar 16, 2008.

1. JoonKimDDS

JoonKimDDS New Member

I have
    5600+ dual core
    2GB ram
    8800GT graphic card
    and windows xp sp2.

I downloaded the recent version of emulator and ran FFX.
    Of course I activated the option to enable dual core.

the game runs between 40 and 60 like most ppl say.
    but when FPS goes below 55, if feels like 10fps even though it says 55.
    do u guys feel the same?

If I want to run this game at constant 60fps, what should I upgrade?

one more question i want to ask is
    why does PC emulator runs ps2 game with better graphic than
    ps3 running ps2? I don't understand this.
    I have ps3 with HDTV so I don't know what's the problem with running the
    PS2 game at higher resolution like PC emulator can.
  2. NGEmu.com Advertisement

3. Mkilbride2588

Mkilbride2588 The Pest

Your system should be able to handle it well

PCSX2 can up the Internal resolution to whatever it wants, that's why it can look better. PS3 is designed for a set resolution with a TV.

As for your issue, use the latest GSdx(1.7) from the thread over there, make sure to use GSdx with Nloop greyed, texture filtering greyed, Logarithmic Z checked, same with Alpha correction, use Pixel Shader 3.0 and Hardware renderer(Of course)

I only see your AMD as your limit factor, really.
  4. JoonKimDDS

JoonKimDDS New Member

where is GSdx(1.7)??
    Mine says GSdx9 (MSVC 14.00, SSE2)0.10.0
    is this the most recent one?
  5. Mkilbride2588

Mkilbride2588 The Pest

Yes, it's in the plugin section, since you responded decently(compared to most) I'll link you infact :p

http://forums.ngemu.com/ps2-plugin-questions-troubleshooting/97657-gsdx.html

Make sure to follow ALL INSTRUCTIONS or it'll crash.

You download the DX9 and DX10 dll's and put them in PCSX2's root foldeR(I just noticed the first post doesn't tell you to do so, I thought it did)

The plugin itself, obviously goes in the plugin folder.
  6. JoonKimDDS

JoonKimDDS New Member

Thank you.
    I now can see
    GSdx(MSVC 15.00, SSSE3)0.1.7
    and
    GSdx(MSVC 15.00, SSE2)0.1.7
    which one should I use?
  7. Mkilbride2588

Mkilbride2588 The Pest

SSE2, you have an AMD, so it doesn't have SSSE3(I believe)

Just set it up correctly and all should be well.
  8. JoonKimDDS

JoonKimDDS New Member

Ok. It's working, but I don't think it really improved in terms of frame rates.
    Was it supposed to increase FPS?
  9. Mkilbride2588

Mkilbride2588 The Pest

Does for most people, yeah. =/
  10. JoonKimDDS

JoonKimDDS New Member

Does this emulator support quad core also? not just dual core?
    if it does, maybe I will think about running it in the future when I get quad core, expecting it to run twice faster than dual core.
  11. Mkilbride2588

Mkilbride2588 The Pest

It only supports DC as of right now, and it wouldn't double in speed from Quad Core support, in testing they found little to no speed improvement, yeah, I wished they had to. At least, that's what i had heard last.
  12. JoonKimDDS

JoonKimDDS New Member

if what u r saying is true and it only supports upto DC...
    Does the fastest DC CPU run it at constant 60fps or above or does the best DC still experience some frame drop issues like my DC does? cuz if then it will be the emulator that is causing FPS drop not the hardware issue, right?
  13. Mkilbride2588

Mkilbride2588 The Pest

Well, an E8400 @ 4.0GHZ has had no slow downs.

Yes, it is still partly emulator optimization to blame, but 90% of the time it's usually peoples hardware.

I mean, the guy with the E8400 get's like 90FPS at places where I got 45FPS in FFX(The High road part)so it seems an E8400 @ 4.0GHZ should probably run any game @ full speed(If it's not the emulators fault, that is)
  14. RPGW1ZaRD

RPGW1ZaRD PCSX2 & O/C Addict

You need something along 3~3.2GHz Core 2 Duo CPU minimum for it to run full speed all the time but yea already C2D's at stock speed around 2.1~2.4GHz can play it at reasonable speeds for most people with few fps drops here and there.

With your 5600+ you should be good enough speeds but not fullspeed all the time, I had 43 ~ 160 FPS with my Opteron 165 @ 2.8GHz but then there's these speed hacks in latest public betas which helps around 20% in FFX too.
  15. JoonKimDDS

JoonKimDDS New Member

yours is 3.4GHz and his is 4.0Ghz and the frame rate difference is twice? 45 vs. 90?
    man..i m so jealouse of u guys CPU. I am hoping for price drop, or maybe I will play FFX in 2~3 yrs from now :(
  16. Mkilbride2588

Mkilbride2588 The Pest

I know, it makes no sense, the E8400 must be better made. (Internal architecture and whatnot)

Because I got like 45FPS there, or so, and I looked a topic and a guy with a E8400 @ 4.0GHZ reported taking the limiter off and reaching 85-90FPS.
  17. RPGW1ZaRD

RPGW1ZaRD PCSX2 & O/C Addict

I do use some optimized profile guided pcsx2 exe's which helps a lot but nowhere that much so I'd have 2x the performance as you with such small difference in clock speed but I've tested this E8400 against E6750 at exactly same clock speed and it turned out this E8400 has an 7~8% advantage clock for clock in PCSX2 and also I run my system at 500 FSB (500x8) and ram then at DDR2-1000 with tight timings. So I guess all this combined would make up for it.

Also this point in the game is still quite a bit GPU demanding so if you were playing in your usual very high internal res then chances are it might have slowed down a bit in this part.
  18. Mkilbride2588

Mkilbride2588 The Pest

Yikes...yeah, probably. I just use the latest plugins and whatnot with no special executables or anything. Mines 425FSB

I havn't tightened my timings or anything yet, I'm fine with my current setup, if I ever needed anymore performance, I'd do it though. Right now, I think my PC will run most PS2 games full speed once the emulator is optimized more. I don't play that graphically demanding ones anyways, save for XenoSaga, and I've read it gets an almost 50% boost in DX10 mode, so when I go Vista - whoosh.
  19. llwayneio

llwayneio New Member

yeh the 45nm processing on the wolfdale chips give you more perfromance per mhz. A conroe at 3.0ghz will get owned by a wolfdale at 3.0ghz
  20. rama2

rama2 Emu author Emu Author

JoonKimDDS, please download the latest pcsx2 svn from here.
    This allone should help your fps a little, but you can optionally enable 2 hacks (under config > speed hacks).
    With all that enabled FFX should run at 60fps most of the time for you.
    If it sometimes gets a little slower, so what, buy a new computer :p