Final Fantasy IX - Best render settings! ePSXe

Discussion in 'ePSXe Discussion' started by Roxtonn, Mar 28, 2015.

?

Did you like it?

1. Yes.

13 vote(s)
    65.0%
  2. No.

2 vote(s)
    10.0%
  3. Can be better.

5 vote(s)
    25.0%
  1. Roxtonn

Roxtonn New Member

Hey guys, before 4hours testing ePSXe configs, most time used on shaders...

I got the best configuration I've seen. Follow it below (using shaders on annex):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Any sugestions to maximize graphics?

Thanks! o_O

Attached Files:

2. NGEmu.com Advertisement

3. fireblaster_lyz

fireblaster_lyz Is this thing on? Junior Contributor

4. Roxtonn

Roxtonn New Member

I followed this guide. But he posted several shaders, then I tested almost shaders of boxer1201 and this picture you posted above, the quality within battle is incredible, but outside of battle is kind of weird. Then I choose AA+Bump Map+Natural V6 Shader.
  5. Roxtonn

Roxtonn New Member

what is other setting that do you like ?
  6. summer9

summer9 New Member

hey, i need to ask you something. i've tried to make my render settings is same as yours. but the emulator suddenly says "missing render texture, no pixels file found," and stopped working. if i use the default set, it runs but soooo poor. please help. thanks.
  7. Erzesel

Erzesel Master of Eselhimmel

Update your Graphicsdrivers. There is somthing wrong with the Opengldriver of your Graphicscard

Set at Rendermode: "1: render to pbuffer... copy...."

If you have an older (Laptop)Intelchipset Pixelshaders are not working...
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2015
  8. roxton

roxton New Member

Thank you all!
  9. greyattack

greyattack New Member

This Helped a lot First Thank you for posting a great start to perfect graphics, also after testing for hours i have found what i believe to be to best way to configure the settings for a completely full screen and Exactly as i remember the graphics 16 years ago if not better with no screen flickers and good FMV if you have a high powered AMD PC as i do this will most likely work for you as well. Again thank you and i hope this helps. Sorry i could not post IN GAME pictures for some reason i tried to screenshot but I only got my desktop trust me though ITS BEAUTIFUL!
    EDIT: Use the 4xGL Soft shader in picture, if this is the wrong shader (sorry i copy pasted them in a diff folder at first and couldnt remember exactly which one i used)or if you get a green screen keep trying other shaders that will work ffor the harware in your PC. Basically its just a trial and error deal. you will instantly be able to tell its the right SHADER by seeing the text SQUARESOFT is flawless! no boxy pixels at all! Dont change anything else besides the FILE PATH to the shader you want to use. View attachment 176553 View attachment 176561 View attachment 176569 Config.png Soft.png shader.png file path.png
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2015
  10. greyattack

greyattack New Member

Honestly using shaders was really confusing at first, i had no idea what i was doing. I wish they made it easier to configure but oh well. Thank you for that feeling of accomplishment after getting perfect graphics for Final Fantasy IX but i would be half way done with the game by now if I hadn't been so annoyed by how bad it looked. Basically if you cant use shaders with the PC you have youre stuck with a bad game experience which IMO is a disgrace to FFIX
  11. SirAbraxas

SirAbraxas New Member

I'll have to try those settings because I am having trouble with mine, maybe someone can help?

My specs are i7-4820k, 12gb ram and gtx 770. I am currently using ePSXe version 1.9.25 with Pete's OpenGL2 Driver 2.9 video plugin. My sound plugin was P.E.Op.s DSound Audio Driver 9 but I switched to ePSXe SPU core 1.9.0 because during the intro FMVs the audio would stutter. These are current settings (I'm new to this and went with stuff I found searching the web) [​IMG]

Besides the audio stuttering, which seems to be fixed, I am having an issue with a transition that happens at the beginning of the game. Once the title card is shown the game pans down to the streets of Alexandria where Vivi and other towners walk into the frame. The game will transition from a scripted scene to gameplay (you can move your character now). For some reason I get individual squares for a few seconds but then it goes away once I'm able to move my character. Any idea why it looks like that?
    [​IMG]
  12. lagunareturns

lagunareturns Active Member

The squares is the upscaling, or bad upscaling of video, aside from Vivi, everything is video and shifts to normal graphics when it gives you control of Vivi.

You have to realise to allow 3d Graphics on video, the video is lower resolution and/or compressed more to allow 3d graphics and if the video is not upscaled properly this is what happens/
  13. Erzesel

as Lagunareturns say...
    ...and:
    The squared artifacts at prerendered Backgrounds in general are a thing of Filtering. The Hardwareplugins like Petes OGL1/2 are filtering Backgrounds not as one Part. Resulting the small Memory of the PS1 the Backgrounds are only small pieces. This parts are resized and filtered before they applied to the Backgroundplane.(At the real PS1 or Softplugins there is non of this Filtering) Between the borders of neighbor textures can not smoothed/interpolated as at time of resizing the corresponding neighbortexture is unknown (the Emu don't know about the Order of pieces) , so there is a more or less viewable sharp break/edge around Textures. The Effect is growing with the resolution. Unfiltered there no of this artifacts. At Low Screen-Resolutions the effect lowers. An additional Fullsreensmoothing can help.

Plugin: Pete's OpenGL2 Driver 2.9

Resolution/Color:
    - 800x600 Fullscreen - NO desktop changing
    - Internal X resolution: 2 lower is more pixeladed, but less artifacts
    - Internal Y resolution: 3 lower is more pixeladed, but less artifacts
    - Keep psx aspect ratio
    - No render-to-texture: off
    - Filtering: 2 or 4 (with 0 there always no Artifacts)
    - Hi-Res textures: 0
    - TexWin pixel shader: off
    - VRam size: 1024 MBytes
    Compatibility:
    - Offscreen drawing: 1
    - Framebuffer effects: 2
    - Framebuffer uploads: 1
    Misc:
    - Mdec filter: on
    - Screen filtering: on
    - Shader effects: 1/3
    - Flicker-fix border size: 1

But really :
    I am using the highest Resolution
    and a nice Shader .
    And then i simply ignore the artifacts. The Brain is the best Filter...
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2015
  14. SirAbraxas

SirAbraxas New Member

Thank you guys both for your responses.

I made the few changes you suggested and it definitely looks better. You can still slightly make it out but it'll do! Thanks for the help.
  15. cloudbill

cloudbill Seasoned ePSXe User

IMHO, the best shader/shader suite to use regardless of the game is PsxFX (http://forums.pcsx2.net/attachment.php?aid=46512). It is by far the most comprehensive and adaptable shader suite for all plug-in based PSX emulators. It does different forms of anti-aliasing ranging from 2d-interpolation (2D games only) to Texture-filtering based anti-aliasing (2D and 3D games). The suite can manipulate colour saturation, gamma levels, contrast adjustment, sub-pixel dithering, lighting adjustment, and even simulate CRT scanlines and rounding. You just have to edit the shader files with something as simple as notepad. All the values you have to edit have clear and concise notations so your not at a lose as to what to do.

I know I sound like a salesman but I have been using it for over a year now and it is that good. Trust me, it will make FFIX look just about as good as it can. It doesn't have bump-mapping but to me, bump-mapping is seriously over-rated, at least for PS1 games.
  16. Erzesel

We are poor salesman...who not work for Money :D...
    We doing support for glory and honor..:rolleyes: and we are happy to do it...
    ...and what stupidity is sometimes to fix...:confused:

But really, PsxFX-Shader is one of the Best for 3D.
    For Sprite-Games I prefer "5xBR v4.0 level2 shader + NV".
  17. greyattack

greyattack New Member

I found the shader for this game finally after 20 hours of playing idk if it gets any better, basically any PC that can run this shader should be able to play with close to perfect graphics. I thought about buying a PS just to play this game because it looks so bad unless you use AA shader + 2D-3D just copy and paste in shader folder under all the other folders. Oh and BTW i tried PSX and i get a virus warning everytime.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 30, 2015
  18. Erzesel

"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder"

Because the Viruswarnig:
    Do you mean the Emu "pSX1.13"?
    Try to scan your the Emus .exe-file online at virustotal.com

There some infected files and Installers in circulation.
    Only download from safe sources.
    Most Emulators are without installers as Zip-Archive.

If there is an execuable Installer to download, mostly it is Malware.
    Next Time post such Questions in a new own Thread.
  19. greyattack

greyattack New Member

Try these settings or this shader or as i have it on both. Sorry for posting so much but i was never fully satisfied but with this its the best i could get with really enjoyable graphics after trying and trying for weeks and weeks. Thanks for everyones help! Hope it works for you too! first.png second.png three.png

Attached Files:

20. DaMan

DaMan Member

Protip: alt+print screen to just copy the active window
    greyattack likes this.
  21. Roxtonn

Roxtonn New Member

Thanks for all replyes, I will update the Topic, just need test the new settings.