Final Fantasy IX - Best render settings! ePSXe

Discussion in 'ePSXe Discussion' started by Roxtonn, Mar 28, 2015.

?

Did you like it?

1. Yes.

13 vote(s)
    65.0%
  2. No.

2 vote(s)
    10.0%
  3. Can be better.

5 vote(s)
    25.0%
  1. greyattack

greyattack New Member

changed settings around till disc 3, Good settings and shader FFIX ePSXe clean shader.png good as it gets.png queen.png queen1.png queen2.png

Attached Files:

2. Roxtonn

Roxtonn New Member

Nice, but is better play with low resolution.
  3. greyattack

greyattack New Member

turn up the shader to 4 and its close to perfect but this game will always look bad, when i was a kid daggers butt was sooo perky to get that butt back to its original form youll need to buy a ps1 2 or 3 and get the game
  4. cloudbill

cloudbill Seasoned ePSXe User

Ah, childhood delusions :) . If you use the right shaders and the right configuration almost any game, if not all, will look better on ePSXe than it ever did on the PS1. I've pulled my old PS1 out as recently as a year ago with my old circa 1996 CRT and tried playing some of my favorite games. They were all pixelly and aliased and in some games the gameplay wasn't as smooth.
  5. greyattack

greyattack New Member

FF9 has the best graphics ever on PS1, for this game it would be worth it although i havent tried myself
  6. Belgari

Belgari Just want to help

7. roxton

roxton New Member

8. cloudbill

The problem with post-processing shaders is that anything you do to smooth out rendered backgrounds is going to effect 3D models the same way in a game like FFIX. Some shaders are better at handling this than others. I know I've said it before but any and I mean any post-processing blur/anti-aliasing shader is like throwing a gauze curtain over the whole scene. Even adding a sharpener after blurring/anti-aliasing is only going to mitigate the effect so much, if at all. It might even negate the blur/anti-aliasing to some extent.

You have to try to find a happy medium and live with it.
  9. Belgari

For some reason was a bug on xBRZ filter
    PSOGL2_002.png PSOGL2_004.png PSOGL2_001.png
    try this:

[xBRZ]

#xBRZ scale, max 5
    xBRZScale = 5

#Texture slice for scaler, different slices can provide better or worse perfomance, recommended 8
    SliceSize = 8

#If texture width is smaller than paramater then nearest neighbour scaler will be used
    NearestFallbackWidth = 8

#If texture height is smaller than paramater then nearest neighbour scaler will be used
    NearestFallbackHeight = 8

#If texture total number of pixels (width*height) is smaller than paramater then nearest neighbour scaler will be used
    NearestFallbackSize = 64
  10. cloudbill

xBRZScale = 5 is really going to slow you down quite a bit when framebuffer effects come into play. No matter what kind of monster system you have Summoning and some of the more complicated high level spells like Doomsday are going to crawl. It makes certain parts of the Ark Summoning look like a slide show. It's simply a limitation of Pete'sOpenGL2 plug-in. I would venture to even say no matter what hardware, even future hardware you throw at it you will have slowdowns with framebuffer effects with FFIX or just about any other game that relies heavily on framebuffer effects.

Personally, I would love to use xBRZScale 5. As the screenshots show it looks amazing, but those are screenshots. I've tried xBRZScale = 5 myself and it just isn't doable for me with FFIX. Even the plug-in author himself says that xBRZScale = 5 will really slow down frame buffer effects. The best I can live with personally is xBRZScale = 4 and it still slows down some for me with framebuffer effects, just not as bad.

I honestly don't see the slow downs getting any better until either Pete puts out an updated plug-in that corrects the issue or he allows the plug-in to go open-source. I don't see either one of those happening since Pete hasn't been heard from in four or more years.

BTW Belgari, what internal resolution do you have the xBRZ plug-in set to?
  11. Belgari

my conf:

[Options]

#Enables GTE Accuracy Hack
    GTEAccuracy = true

#Fixes VRAM size detection
    FixMemoryDetection = true

#Enables VSync, paramater specifies the minimum number of video frames that are displayed before a buffer swap will occur
    VSyncInterval = 0

#Hides cursor in window
    HideCursor = false

#Use Playstation Emulation Cheater plugin
    UsePEC = false

#Disables PEC and emulator save states (ie. F1/F2/F3 keys)
    HardcoreMode = false

#Fixes fullscreen aspect ratio
    FixFullscreenAspect = false

[Window]

#Moves window to X position
    WindowX = -1

#Moves window to Y position
    WindowY = -1

#Set window on-top flag
    WindowOnTop = false

[ResHack]

#Internal resolution X multiplier, recommended max: 8
    MulX = 8

#Internal resolution Y multiplier, recommended max: 12
    MulY = 12

[xBRZ]

#xBRZ scale, max 5
    xBRZScale = 5

#Texture slice for scaler, different slices can provide better or worse perfomance, recommended 8
    SliceSize = 8

#If texture width is smaller than paramater then nearest neighbour scaler will be used
    NearestFallbackWidth = 8

#If texture height is smaller than paramater then nearest neighbour scaler will be used
    NearestFallbackHeight = 8

#If texture total number of pixels (width*height) is smaller than paramater then nearest neighbour scaler will be used
    NearestFallbackSize = 64

[PadPlugin]

#Port1 pad plugin path
    Port1 =

#Port2 pad plugin path
    Port2 =

[Version]
    Config = 10
  12. cloudbill

Belgari, do you not get frambuffer effect slowdowns with the internal resolution set to x8 and y12 along with xBRZScale = 5?
  13. Belgari

nop testing right now... Dino Cisis 2, FF7~8~9, RE3... any test recomendation?
  14. cloudbill

FFIX during summonings, these are the full summonings not the cut off versions. Some summonings aren't as adversely affected as others. A good summoning to test is Ark or Madeen. Even 360 degree rotation on the world map with mist present should exhibit at least little stuttering with xBRZ set to 5.
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2015
  15. Roxtonn

Roxtonn New Member

If I had someone to create new shaders or more updated to the emulator...
  16. Roxtonn

Roxtonn New Member

Amazing!!!!! Now HD!!!
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2016
  17. Fajar Rizqi Azheri

Fajar Rizqi Azheri New Member

I've tried Rextonn configuration settings, and it's incredible, but when the battle phase begins, it's rather slow than my previous setting, can someone tell me what to do..???? thank you!
  18. Roxtonn

Roxtonn New Member

Please, let me see one screen of your configs. All.
  19. roxton

roxton New Member

Well, any new sugestions?
  20. cloudbill

Have you tried PCSXR with ICatbutler's PGXP http://ngemu.com/threads/pcsxr-pgxp.186369/ ?

A word of warning. While PCSXR-PGXP looks amazing with PetesOpenGL2Tweak's xbr scaler it tends to be slower in quite a few games compared to epsxe with PetesOpenGL2Tweak's xbr scaler.