Final Fantasy IX - Faithfully Enhanced

Discussion in 'PSX Plugin Questions & Troubleshooting' started by Princess Garnet, May 22, 2008.

1. Phil

Phil 339.9 Award Winner!

Beside the point, but Square needs to wake up and make an FF9 remake in HD. That would solve alot of problems.
  2. cloudbill

cloudbill ePSXe Veteran

By no means am I an expert but, I believe you "hit the nail right on the head" Dagger ( :) ).

That's most likely never going to happen considering SquEnix is so adamant about not remaking Final Fantasy 7 in HD, the most well known and popular JRPG of the last 20 years. Unfortunately, Final Fantasy 9 was no where near as popular or commercially successful (that's the real reason) . I for one happen to like Final Fantasy 9 better than Final Fantasy 7, but sadly, I'm probably in the minority.
  3. Princess Garnet

Princess Garnet From Love and Limerence

Well, an HD re-release and a remake are two different things.
  4. [pro]ePSXe

[pro]ePSXe Computer Enthusiast

FF9(HACKS)
    http://forums.ngemu.com/showthread.php?t=144299
    I love Final Fantasy IX so much I took the time to play through the game and
    gather items to create a GREAT cheat engine file! I have everything here, you
    dont even need the gear to learn the abilities! wanna summon Ark at disc 1?
  5. handa711

handa711 New Member

I love you Garnet.
  6. Princess Garnet

Well, that's quite a first post, but I'm glad there's people who still find it useful!
  7. VGRageaholic

VGRageaholic New Member

Tried your settings and they are certainly a great deal better than I was getting before, but I still hate the 2D pixellation on the backgrounds. Why on earth can't we replicate the smooth backgrounds of PSXfin (with bilinear filtering) in ePSXe?
  8. Speder

Speder New Member

I get a black stripe in the bottom of the screen on my PC and on the laptop I get two black stripes on both sides. What do I do to fix this? I've tried to adjust the screen but it didn't work.

And by the way always use spoilers if you are going to tell something from the game. I accidentally whilst searching for a solution came over a spoiler and I don't know how big it is yet or how big it is to the story. Didn't happen on this site though.
  9. Princess Garnet

The 2D pixelation is actually exactly what this configuration is aimed at dealing with, but it really only does a superb job with CRTs. LCDs simply don't handle lower resolutions at full screen as well. When I still had my CRT and was using this guide, there was next to no pixelation to speak of.

Per the bilinear filtering though, I don't know much about that, but doesn't the screen smoothing/filtering options sort of act as that in a way (only for the whole image)?
    For reference, here's the reply I gave to the private message. It's a good thing too as I tend not to notice this, so maybe I should subscribe to this thread so I don't miss this stuff anymore.
  10. Speder

Speder New Member

Do you have any tips for using this guide on a LCD screen? On the PC it's not really annoying but on the laptop it's pretty bad with the croppin and I can't seem to get it right.

Yeah it's cropping it and should I just mixture with the settnings or what? Will I lose quality? I saw that you helped people with settnings in another thread if they posted their specs, should I do that too? I think it's weird that both the laptop and the pc has the same problem with the screen?

Another wierd thing is that the start menu works perfectly but when I start the game crops the screen?

You already know my settnings but I'll show you the stats of the laptop:

Intel core i3-370m, 2.4 ghz
    nvidia Geforce 310m, 1gb (I do have an intergrated chip too, but I don't know which is in most use)
    15,6"
    Win 7
    4gb Memory haven't had time checking the brand etc.
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2012
  11. Stevacus

Stevacus New Member

quoting myself. get a copy of Entechs power strip http://entechtaiwan.com/util/ps.shtm it will let you input custom resolutions into your Computer E-DID which is EXTREMELY helpful You want to multiply the games native resolution over 640x480 since lcds/led/oled/eoled/plasma cant do standard resolutions ( anything under 640x480), For instance Castlevania Symphony of the nights in game is 256x240 the first title screen is 700 horizontal 224 vertical or around that, so your going to want to make a multiple of the in game higher than all the other resolutions displayed by menus/title screens/etc to avoid distortion.

so lets take 256x240x3=768x720, so 768x720 is you best bet. you want to avoid to much stretching with 2d because the color gradients can change dramatically and cause blurriness though 3d depending on game looks much better at 640x480 or higher because the textures are shrunk on the psx. here is an example i made of 2d scaling and stretching. http://i47.tinypic.com/oqauxw.png

you may also want to look into monitor calibration there is a software called atrise Lutcurve http://atrise.com/lutcurve/ it completely calibrates whites/blacks/gamma/color correction/points, 99.9% of monitors are uncalibrated and use the Whiter than white theory(wtf is whiter than white?) to blur all the in-corrections for instance in my sig i thought orange was yellow till i calibrated it, calibrating makes a world of difference. you can also get a colormunki http://www.xrite.com/product_overview.aspx?ID=1513 its the hardware version and easier to use and is referred by Sony for there DE fact o broadcast Production Monitors (some are $26,000) http://www.sony.co.uk/biz/product/bvm but with a $450 price tag.

As for a plugin i would use gpubladesoft 1.41 (edgbla's Software Rendering Plugin) http://emu-russia.net/en/files/plugins/psx/ found over at emuRussia it has the best most accurate color palette Ive seen, all the shaders and filters, and most accurate geometry, it even offers progressive video mode by turning of dfe emulation(psx uses interlaced, its so advanced it can change native resolutions to proper each time the display changes only 1 other emulator does this (FBA) just remember to multiply the internal resolution properly depending on the resolution used. and install is simple extract the folder in the main emulators folder though you may need extra gtk files.

Luckily for myself I have a 16:10(for correct 4:3 aspect) wide screen HDTV CRT with RCA/S-video/Component/hdmi ports with 175Hz-120Hz-60Hz with progressive up to 720p and 1080i so i can do any resolution under the sun, ive even full screened at native 160x140 for gameboy in progressive HDMI clarity. so if you can find a nice HDTV CRT Pick it up ASAP! and there becoming antiques so the prices are going up mines worth $600 on the net.

i hope this helps.
  12. Speder

Speder New Member

I guess you are referring to me? I got the full screen to work by changing a few things on the computer. I guess it just stretched the images but I don't think it looks that bad. I don't know how much this would improve the quality in FFIX? Do you know? I guess I have to wait for Garnet to answer that.

Thank you for helping me!
  13. Stevacus

Stevacus New Member

Princess Garnet has a very knowledgeable clearness of how this all works we are about on the same level with this. this picture will show you exactly where im at with this http://i50.tinypic.com/oaaud4.jpg as you can see i take this all very serious.

stretching actually destroys an image here again is the link for my reference picture about distortion by stretching/scaling, you may have to download it to view it correctly (destruction of picture quality due to stretching or scaling) http://i47.tinypic.com/oqauxw.png and if you had to choose between stretching or scaling i would go with scaling it actually multiplies (or tries) the image to make the image as accurate as possible. stretching is like putting play dough on a news paper and stretching the play dough i have a term for this i call it smearing the mona lisa.

and also most blitters are used 2sai, hq2x, ect use the extra lines of resolution to make the image look more native(or not) for instance if i run mame marvel vs capcom is 384x224 if i use hqx4 blitter there is absolutely no change because the filter/blitter wants to look like the native and there is no lines of space to add the filter.

but trust me if you do everything i said above http://www.ngemu.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2046216#post2046216 not only will epsxe look better but everything will look better on a complete professional level i mean when you print pictures they will come out the way they are displayed.
  14. Speder

Speder New Member

I guess I'm gonna try all that tomorrow, for now the game will have to work as it is! ;)
    Thank you!
  15. Stevacus

Stevacus New Member

Your very welcome :)
  16. Speder

Speder New Member

So I've tried the calibrate my monitor but I have no idea what to do? Am I stupid or do you need some sort of knowledge or should you be able to figure this out on your own?
  17. Speder

Speder New Member

Having a new problem guys. When I enter *Spoiler**SPOILER* Cleyra *SPOILER**Spoiler* the game just turns black. I can enter the sandstorm but when they enter the cave or what it is it just turns black. What to do?
  18. Phil

Phil 339.9 Award Winner!

Use the natural mod, the game looks 10 times better :)
  19. Speder

Speder New Member

Natural mod? Do you have any answers to my problem? :)
  20. Princess Garnet

I haven't read or digested it all, but thanks to Stevacus for posting all of that! It looks very informative. I'm glad there's others of the interest/preference out there that this sort of approach helps or interests.
    Did my private messaging help any? If not, you'll have to refresh me. Sorry, but I had a bit going on yesterday and today.
    I never liked it. I can't put my finger on why, but I never did. It just seemed to increase the contrast and saturation and darken it. I much prefer a natural look, hence this thread.