Final Fantasy IX

Discussion in 'General Screenshots' started by RZetlin, Apr 27, 2004.

1. Princess Garnet

Princess Garnet From Love and Limerence

A prime majority of the game is 320 x 224 2D backdrops. Those just won't look good at something like 1080p no matter what you do to them, as it's not only many times higher, but disproportionate too (fattened).
  2. SueSide

SueSide Member

The stretching is not that bad. 16:9 stretches only the far left/right side so you won't even realize it. The black borders are more disturbing than the stretching you don't even realize (as you can see on the screenshot it looks very fine - you couldn't tell if this is a native 16:9 or 4:3 game if you don't know it).

[​IMG]

Also 2 meters away from the screen I can't make any pixel out, it looks sharp without pixelating the image. A blur filter would soften the pixels from close up but will also blur from far where you don't even see each pixel.

Also I'm using the highest settings on the GL2 plugin with HQx3 filter (set to 3), this scales the low-res images very good.
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2012
  3. Princess Garnet

Since when did it only stretch the sides? Even if it does that, that sides would be stretched to an extreme, no? It's hard to tell with your picture what's going on; a direct screen capture would be more reflective. Anyway, I have some older games on my PC with a 16:10, not even 16:9, display, and for games that don't have support for the wider aspect ratios, I just run them at 1600 x 1200 and leave the extra space unused. Stretching is a big no-no to me. I've tried and hate it. I even tried 16:9 on 16:10 (1920 x 1080 content on 1920 x 1200). Even that little bit I don't really like if I can help it, so 320 x 224 to 1080p!? That's why I questioned it; it's a bit of a drastic move to me. I don't mind the cropping.

Yeah, sitting further away may help (I didn't notice you were using a TV and not a PC monitor at first), but still. I'd never be able to let 16:9 and 1080p fly on this game with me, and it surprises me a little how others don't mind it so much.
  4. SueSide

SueSide Member

Here is a photographed comparison.

[​IMG]
  5. Princess Garnet

I definitely see the difference; the stretching.

It wasn't photographs I was asking for though; it was direct screen captures. I wanted to see if it was actually stretching only at the sides as you said, or if the whole thing did (from the look of those pictures, it looks more like the latter), but either way, it wouldn't be ideal no matter how it does it to me.
  6. SCHUMI_4EVER

SCHUMI_4EVER Hackin 'n Slashin Staff Member Award Winner!

Yeah there's clearly a huge amount of stretching going on.
    Perhaps not as visible/annoying in the first scene but quite glaring in the 2nd.
  7. DragonMyth

DragonMyth Google Moogle

Hello final fantasy 9 fans. I'd like to introduce to you some of my screenshots I've made while playing through my journey of final fantasy 9. I hope you enjoy them!

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
  8. GPDP

GPDP Member

Behold, my wallpaper.

[​IMG]
  9. DinJerr

DinJerr Meow Meow Meow Award Winner!

He can't do direct screen captures, I think it's stretched by the TV he's using, hence why he was singing praises of panaroma stretching.

To me whatever stretching you use, it always ends with pancake-head people, so I prefer black borders in my 4:3 ratio games, TYVM.