First 3DS roms dumped

Discussion in 'Emulation News Submissions' started by Hard core Rikki, Jun 6, 2011.

1. Hard core Rikki

Hard core Rikki Super Moderator Staff Member Award Winner!

The first 3DS games just got dumped, by the release group LGC. So far, these dumped ROMs remain currently unusable given the lack of compatible flashcarts and 3DS emulators (obviously).

via gbatemp (more info there)
  2. NGEmu.com Advertisement

3. philtrum licker

philtrum licker Member

Interesting, thanks for the news.
  4. the_randomizer

the_randomizer Fluffy Animal Admirer

That was fast. So much for Nintendo's anti-piracy protection.
  5. ccvv_blind

ccvv_blind New Member

incredible, only wait to a new emulator for 3DS. :wub:
  6. lagunareturns

lagunareturns Active Member

change that to only wait to some decides to develop a 3ds emulator
  7. snickothemule

snickothemule I could kill a building. Junior Contributor Award Winner!

My only interest is in how they accomplished it from a technical perspective, I couldn't be more apathetic about the dumped files themselves.
  8. Hard core Rikki

Other than a performance hit, I doubt it would really be that complicated (rest of emulation aside). 3D is relatively niche as an interest in the first place.
  9. PsyMan

PsyMan Banned

Let's see...

Whatever kind of data is dumped so far (from cartridges and internal flash) is encrypted.
    This more or less means that no warez and no homebrew until the related encryptions are taken care of.

Easy? Think again. It took years for encryptions of systems like CPS2 to be broken. Now, 3DS is far worse since we have AES encryption here.
    AES is nowhere near the relatively "pathetic" encryptions used on Nintendo DS, Sega's NAOMI GD-ROM, Capcom's CPS2, Sony's DRM (used on PSP, walkmans etc.) and the likes.

Now, IF the potential hacker is lucky enough there might be a security hole in the encryption used on the communication protocol of the cartridges. This will make piracy possible up to a degree. Notice the big red "if" there.

On the other hand, running homebrew on the thing is more complicated and more or less requires figuring out the whole protection mechanism, keys, etc.
    Now, using current hardware, hacking around all that is next to impossible. The only possibility is Nintendo messing up badly on various different aspects, which is also next to impossible.

Imagine the X-BOX 360 piracy and homebrew state. Piracy is rampart while running homebrew is possible only on some specific hardware revision under specific circumstances.
    Now, take the part of the system that can be modded out (the optical disc drive firmware) and you end up leaving no windows open. Add to that Nintendo not leaving any back doors on their systems (like Sony did with PS3) and you pretty much have a secure system.

Hate to break it to you guys, but that's the way it is. Having dumps and such is the easy part, everyone with the equipment and knowledge can do it and teach the rest how to do it too. Everything else however, is another matter.
  10. Xtreme2damax

Xtreme2damax Mr. Technological Staff Member Moderator

I didn't know that was the case, I thought the protection had been broken for the games to be dumped. :/

Seems very complicated to even get those dumps working on an actual 3DS or otherwise.
  11. Hard core Rikki

Nothing new, dumping comes first. The same happened for cps3 and earlier board systems where cartridges were locked.

There's more tinkerers than ever before, all sorts of creative approaches that can be considered and enough Cuda/GPU/distributed computing power to accomodate decryption sessions.

With the uncomplex ways Nintendo has been using for the Virtual Console and even its consoles' security, I doubt this here would be too complicated to break (issue of periodic mandatory firmwars updates aside, which was still creatively resolved for the ps3).
  12. PsyMan

PsyMan Banned

Ah yes, forgot CPS3 encryption. Guess what? Compared to AES, that's pathetic too. There's a reason everything switches to AES nowadays, wireless networks, file archivers, disk encryption, hardware, younameit.

You can't just analyze and XOR the thing like with CPS (and even that took them years to accomplish since they started).

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that breaking the protection will never happen. I'm saying that if the implementation is right, it will not happen for about the next dozen of years.
  13. ozzgx4

ozzgx4 Active Member

That was a lot faster then I originally thought
  14. Xtreme2damax

Xtreme2damax Mr. Technological Staff Member Moderator

Heh, hopefully this stops everyone from requesting the 3DS to be emulated or for existing emulators to add 3DS support. I would also imagine there is a lack of documentation as is usually common with Nintendo propriety technology. Combine lack of documentation with strong encryption, not to mention we are referring to a system likely more powerful than the PS2 and closer to the power of the PS3. If it could takes a decade or more before the encryption is broken, then even longer for an emulator to appear that can even emulate the games I guess newbies can forget their wet dream of emulating the 3DS on their PC anytime soon. :p
  15. Paratech

Paratech Active Member

I'd rather NOT see the 3DS emulated too soon. The last thing emulation needs is Nintendo on its back.
  16. Nokiaman

Nokiaman Member

I'd rather see it emulated so Nintendo will cry a river.
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2011
  17. cyclonmaster

cyclonmaster EmuAddict-_-;;

PS3 image also being dump early a long time ago, next should be a dump of PSVita game? :p
  18. Xblade

Xblade Drowning in a red state.

If games corps could do anything about emulation they might of said something about the last 50+ emulators.

I wouldn't be too surprised to see someone start a 3ds emu late next year.
  19. Paratech

Paratech Active Member

They are in the US and other countries by trying to force ISP / Search engines to block sites that violate copyrights, and we know they won't abuse that power when they get it, right? :rolleyes:

Emulating systems that are making companies money "justifies" draconian laws.
  20. Thermonuclear

Thermonuclear King of Nukes |\/\/\/\/|

I don't get it what if you had a monster computer rig where you wrote a simple program that could do a brute-force attack on the 3DS ROM dumps, and attempt to crack the encryption keys? By taking advantage of multiple high-end graphics cards in CrossFireX, or SLI couldn't they just load the GDDR5 memory with as many codes as possible, and then use the montrous TeraFLOPS of processing power and let it sit for a few days, weeks, or maybe a few months until they crack the AES encryption?
  21. Xblade

Xblade Drowning in a red state.

And who the hell is going to do that?