FPS too high!

Discussion in 'PCSX2 Forum' started by loisel, May 10, 2007.

1. loisel

loisel New Member

Hello,

I've been using pcsx2 0.9.2 to test my new rig. FFX is a great benchmark and pcsx2 is fantastic. My new computer is a quad-core 3GHz, and the video card is a 8800 GTS. I'm running Vista x64.

Everything is pretty good, except for the following:

• FMV, I assume this is well known, but they are kinda borked.
    • (Correction: I had VU skipping on, not Frame Limiting) Frame limiting doesn't seem to work as intended. It sorta kinda keeps the fps erratically at 60 or 70 under load, but there are occasional jumps to 300 (I think I might have even seen 1000). Looks to me as if it checks the fps and adjusts the simulation speed every fraction of a second, which is probably not the right logic in this case because if it's going too fast, in 0.1s it'll skip 100 frames, which is not what you want. Even under load, it skips to 90fps from time to time, which really messes up the music.

The rest of my "experiment report" is much less important than the two problems outlined above.

• The "VM build" (by which I mean, pcsx2.exe) does not work for me (it breaks right before the first FMV, semi-randomly.) I have to use pcsx2t.exe. No biggie, since I still get faster-than-ps2 performance.
    • Alt-tab to full screen works, but alt-tabbing back to windowed mode is hit and miss, often resulting in a pcsx2 crash. Similarly, closing the emulation window does not have the intended effect of shutting down pcsx2. Instead, I have to hit ESC, then exit the emulator. A couple of times I was left with an entirely black screen, having to click randomly without seeing the mouse in the hopes of hitting what Windows think is the "close window" X button.
    • Resuming the emulation after hitting ESC is borked.

Let me disarm the snarky comments by saying that no, I would not prefer a slower computer or slower pcsx2.

Hope this helps,

Sebastien Loisel

CORRECTION: that was with VU skipping. I had it on mistakenly. Without VU skipping, it drops to 45FPS from time to time.
    Last edited: May 11, 2007
  2. NGEmu.com Advertisement

3. NexXxus

NexXxus it'se miku!

check framelimiter in misc/CPU menu to limit the frames for normal speed.
  4. BAXTER STOCKMAN

BAXTER STOCKMAN New Member

Why you want to run pcsx2 at slow speeds?!oO
  5. NexXxus

NexXxus it'se miku!

he want to run games with fullspeed (normal speed) PAL: 50FPS, NTSC: 60FPS, and not more than this.
  6. BAXTER STOCKMAN

BAXTER STOCKMAN New Member

Well, one reason that i use pcsx2, is because i prefer to play ps2 games with better speeds than the real ps2, so i can finish the game in less time than the ps2. But unfrotunately, most games dosent work faster than the ps2..
  7. loisel

loisel New Member

I'll try that when I get home. There's more than one frame limiter option? I used the one that's a radio button that has two frame skipping options and one frame limiting option.

Sebastien Loisel
    Last edited: May 10, 2007
  8. NexXxus

NexXxus it'se miku!

normal,limit,frameskip,vu skip. thats all.
    only kurtz's Mod give some more options.
  9. loisel

loisel New Member

(empty)
  10. NexXxus

NexXxus it'se miku!

its an unofficial mod to regulate the frames better in pcsx2.
    but discussion about unofficial mods is not allowed here.
  11. dotrat1989

dotrat1989 New Member

So you do get a performance jump(a big one at that) when you use a quad core pc; even though the emulator hasn't been geared towards it. Have you considered doing other benchmarks? Like for Final fantasy 12, resident evil 4, etc. I am interested in getting a quad core pc and if you can get say 120 fps on final fantasy 12 then I will probably get it when the price goes down(or wait for the octo-core CPUs). Once again videoes will help me decide. Thankyou so far.
  12. loisel

loisel New Member

I have no idea if that's the case. In fact, my CPU load monitor indicates that only two of my CPUs are being used, and one's not even being used at 100% a lot of the time. I can tell you that 2.4GHz was insufficient to obtain this real-time rate. I can also tell you that these CPUs are much faster than my previous Athlon64, clock-for-clock. On that AMD64 computer, inverting a random 3000x3000 matrix in Matlab takes over 30 seconds (2GHz). On the new quad-core, it takes something like 9 seconds (2.4GHz) with a single thread, so that's a lot more performance per clock.

Sebastien Loisel

(P.S. with 4 threads and 3GHz, it takes 3.6s, w00t!)

CORRECTION: I just realized I had it on "VU skipping" mode, not frame limiting. Sorry guys.
  13. dotrat1989

dotrat1989 New Member

This is a question for the PCSX2 coders; are you guys going to start coding PCSX2 for quad cores for maybe .9.5 or are you going to stay with dual core? By the time this emulator would come out(say if it came out for PCSX2 0.9.5) the price of the q6600 would be less than $300. But I am getting way to ahead of myself when .9.4 didn't come out yet.

@loisel

Have you tried Resident Evil 4 with it?
  14. loisel

loisel New Member

Nope. I don't have that game.

Sebastien Loisel
  15. The Magic Hobo

The Magic Hobo Just add water

I would say this is breaking the rules by asking about furture releases, but optimizing for four or more cores wouldn't be that hard( I think:D Dont have a go at me if Im wrong!) This will be the second time I've posted this link but I still think that is relevant Codeplay: setting the speed for the future of games programming and if any of you want a more detailed description VectorC Custom Multi-Core Compilers This may be offtopic but I think that it is sort of important.
  16. Clord

Clord New Member

It is nice if people stop assuming how hard and time consuming it is to do something larger things if they are not experienced programmers. Programming is far from walking to park.
  17. The Magic Hobo

The Magic Hobo Just add water

Im aware of that, when I said it wouldn't be that hard I mean using Sieve C++ makes coding software to ustilise more than two cores easier. I do have a basic knowledge of programming with C and I can appricaite how hard it would be normally.
  18. raksmey1309

raksmey1309 បងស្រលាញ់អូន!

WoW 1000 FPS on a Quad Cores CPU! That's cool.:bow:
  19. Haru

Haru Anime Fan

with vu skip ^^
  20. wtxwt

wtxwt New Member

Quad-core and 8800GTS :thumb:
  21. lll

lll New Member

Eh how do you run at it full speed? I mean, PCSX2 does'nt support quad-core yet only dual-core. And still you can get FFX jumping on 300 fps. You made a mod to it so it supports quad-core or sumthing?
    Oh and if you want more speed for your comp then wait till 0.9.4. It has 32 bit build and 64 bit build, which you should take for optimum speeds.

Eh how do you run at it full speed? I mean, PCSX2 does'nt support quad-core yet only dual-core. And still you can get FFX jumping on 300 fps. You made a mod to it so it supports quad-core or sumthing?
    Oh and if you want more speed for your comp then wait till 0.9.4. It has 32 bit build and 64 bit build, which you should take for optimum speeds.
    Last edited: May 11, 2007