Freeze bug in Dolphin

Discussion in 'Dolphin Discussion' started by John Peterson, Aug 17, 2008.

1. John Peterson

John Peterson New Member

I made a list of the freeze bugs that have been found so far. This is for games that goes ingame and show that they are properly emulated, but then hangs at a dialog box or something else. Perhaps it can help us find the cause of it and fix the problem. I have taken the liberty to attach pictures that other have posted. I hope that's okay.

:thumb: Baten Kaitos - Eternal Wings (PAL and NTSC)
    - Cause: DSP bug
    - Diagnosis: When Xelha join the party (http://img118.imageshack.us/img118/7144/080818035127jn7.jpg) the message about it never goes away.

:( Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance (NTSC, PAL too?):
    - SVN Issue: 214
    - Cause: Unknown cause
    - Diagnosis: Hangs on random places. For example the conversation screens can hang before any characters appear. Sometimes it doesn't hang in a fatal way so you can continue the game by pressing Start to skip the screen. Most fatally it hangs at the last chapter during a conversation screen during the Endgame at 1:37 in this movie. In the scene after Elincia says "Fight true". If you press Start from there you get to a conversation screen with no characters on it and at that moment the game has hanged.

:thumb: Mario Kart - Double Dash (NTSC and PAL)
    - Diagnosis: Hangs after a finished level.

:( Paper Mario - The Thousand-Year Door (NTSC, PAL too?)
    - Cause: Unknown cause. No JIT bug, tried with all JIT disabled, CORE_DYNAREC, 64 bit, modified r242. No sound bug either? The music bug in Paper Mario seems to be a volume issue.
    - Diagnosis: The bug appears at the location shown in the beginning of this movie (YouTube - Paper Mario: TTYD - prologue - Part 2 (walkthrough)). The door never opens and the speech bubble from Professor Frankly doesn't go away. There's a post about it here (http://forums.ngemu.com/dolphin-discussion/109308-paper-mario-thousand-year-door-freezes.html).

:thumb: Pikmin 2 (NTSC and PAL)
    - Bug: DSP bug
    - Diagnosis: The game freezes before loading the second level. It can be seen at 6:30 in this video. Because the fps meter stops I would guess it's not a sound problem. With the other sound problems the fps meter kept going. - Update: No it was a sound problem.

:( [Wii] Super Paper Mario (PAL, NTSC too?)
    - Diagnosis: The game freezes during the intro, at the location shown at 9:14 in this video.

:thumb: Zelda - WW (NTSC and PAL)
    - Status: Fixed by the zelda-ucode emulation. Fixed with a hack by disabling startSoundVec() from the JAIBasic.cpp file
    - Diagnosis: The game freezes when getting an item, before the message dialog can be closed

:thumb: Zelda - WW (NTSC and PAL)
    - Cause: Bug in fp_arith_s() case 18 in JIT Floating Point, no problem in Interpreter 1.03
    - Diagnosis: Tower of the Gods, platforms don't move: The platforms at around 2:14 in this movie don't move. If you use the super hookshot to get up you will also find that the platforms upstairs are stuck to, for example the one he jumps on at 3:07.

:thumb: Zelda - WW (NTSC and PAL): After you take a picture with the Picto box the game freezes.
    - Cause: This issue was related to the EFB copying. It's mentioned in these issue reports.

:thumb: Zelda - TP (NTSC and PAL)
    - Cause: Bug in fp_arith_s() case 18 in JIT Floating Point
    - Diagnosis: Goron Mines, boss door: There's a pictures here (http://forums.ngemu.com/1413705-post100.html) courtesy of Rockman. Here's a movie for those that don't recognise the location (YouTube - The Legend of Zelda Twilight Princess Walkthrough Episode 37).
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2010
  2. NGEmu.com Advertisement

3. Hemi3

Hemi3 New Member

I don't think the devs are interested in game specific bugs like these but since I really want to see Eternal Darkness become playable, I will join you in this thread for this game.

Here is where Eternal Darkness freezes up just before going in-game. There is no need for a video here, the game gets to the title screen with the DX9 plugin and goes though a few logos and screens and then just before it goes in-game, it halts here. The game has sound and look great, but it just will not continue on.

http://static3.filefront.com/images/personal/t/tommy78/82447/eqwznbhoeq.jpg
  4. jasong

jasong New Member

In WW there is a freeze bug with the pictograph. but since you can play without it so far it isn't so much of a problem.
  5. John Peterson

John Peterson New Member

Thanks for the report. But I'll put it on a side list because it doesn't go ingame and show that the game can be fully emulated as I understand it. If a game works for a while and show that it's well emulated but then get stuck at one point or another I'll put it on the list.
  6. omegadox

omegadox Code it the hard way :P

In Sonic Adventure 2 Battle, the first level of Hero Story freezes on x64 version of Dolphin
  7. Yourmum

Yourmum New Member

heh I am glad to see that you are working on those annoying freeze bug, and if i understand, you actually fixed some in Zelda (that's really great).

too bad, due to my little Knowledge in coding i can't help :(

ok so i am reporting another frezze bug in Baten Kaitos, i don't know but maybe it's related to the other bug and could help to determinate where is the problem.

so in the shop in Baten when you choose to " rest your wings " a black screen appear and it stay like this, as always the emulator still working as you can see the fps changing.
    http://img165.imageshack.us/img165/7826/080818231948pr6.jpg

also bump for your great work on sound and now those freeze problem :D
  8. John Peterson

John Peterson New Member

Do you have a 64 bit system? Then you could try one of those files. Just unzip them to an existing dolphin directory. Perhaps you can try "DolphinWx (floating point disabled) (64 bit).zip". That works with both zelda bugs, but *only without dual core* if dual core is enabled zelda tp needs to have lXz disabled to. These files have no music but I have posted some files with music in my music thread. But all this is only for 64 bit so far. So it only works in XP 64 or Vista 64.

9. hakunushi

hakunushi New Member

man.... i got like 2 fps with this version for zelda tp.... and i get almost full speed with normal svn compilation even tho i cant enable dual core on it.
  10. Yourmum

Yourmum New Member

na my proc suport x64 mode but i have XP32 otherwise i would already have tested it (i have been testing older build i heard sometimes some games are fixed or broken accedently)

your are probably running it with the SVN242 or another new build, try using the john fix with an older build like 223 and it may work with much better speed.
  11. John Peterson

John Peterson New Member

I see. Unfortunately I can't understand why the changes don't have any effect in 32 bit mode. Perhaps somebody else will figure it out and make a 32 bit version. Or perhaps I'll figure it out.

Yes. It may be a problem with the very latest svn versions. It should not be that slow. They do disable efficiency functions so they will be slower, but it was only a few percent at most when I tested it. In the version that work best with zelda TP "DolphinWx (lXz and fp_arith_s disabled) (64bit).zip" I got a healthy speed improvement because it also works with dual core. (However the intro logos will be much slower when lXz is disabled, perhaps some kind of 2D thing.) But in the most demanding ingame places I got perhaps 50% more speed with it (with dual core on).

Now I added some 32 bit versions. Perhaps you can try them and see if any of them fix the bugs. I have only tested them in zelda. But they may fix Baten and perhaps other games to.
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2008
  12. Maratanos

Maratanos New Member

I actually made a thread about this.

http://forums.ngemu.com/dolphin-discussion/109925-weird-panic-error.html

It's been fixed. It no longer freezes. On the other hand, the pictographs turn out grey and you get a panic error message, but it no longer freezes.
  13. Yourmum

Yourmum New Member

ok for the shop bug "rest your wings"(just near the save point) i tested all of this versions :
    DolphinWx (18 disabled) (32bit)
    DolphinWx (lXz and fp_arith_s disabled) (32bit)
    DolphinWx (load store and floating point disabled) (32bit)
    DolphinWx (all JIT disabled) (slow, for testing) (32bit)
    DolphinWx (fp_arith_s disabled) (32bit)

with dual core enabled and then disabled, but no result, the black screen dosen't disappear.

For the "Xelha join the party" bug i tested only 2 version(it take time to pass all the talking and the fight :rolleyes: ):
    DolphinWx (load store and floating point disabled) (32bit)
    DolphinWx (all JIT disabled) (slow, for testing) (32bit)
    dual core disabled (more stability or more chance to get the bug fix perhapes?)
    anyway the bug is still there, i cant pass that message.

so if i tested all jit disabled versions there is no point to test the other, right?
    otherwise just tell me and i will do it when i have some time ;)
  14. jasong

jasong New Member

ok, but it still freezes for me.
  15. NexXxus

NexXxus it'se miku!

tried DolphinWx (lXz and fp_arith_s disabled) (64bit) with zelda TP on SVN 223 with DirectX and OpenGL.
    I only noticed thats its slower than newer builds.
  16. ector

ector Emu author Emu Author

Nice work John. It's obvious that the accuracy of the floating point emulation really matters... hmm.
  17. John Peterson

John Peterson New Member

Thanks for testing this. Yes you're right, if the "all JIT disabled" version does not work the other versions will probably not work either. At first I would suggest that it may be the same problem as the get item bug in Zelda WW. But sound is emulated in Baten Kaitos so I'm a little more reluctant to guess that it's a sound-cpu communication problem. It could still be of course, music isn't emulated for example. Can you post a savegame right near the shopkeeper? Then I or somebody else may do some tests with that. If we get a bright idea :). I could for example test with the 64 bit version and if it works there try to see why it doesn't work in 32 bit. I think that the user Flow999 may have gotten past these places in the 64 bit version. Perhaps you can ask him for a savegame.

(I also thought about testing with CORE_INTERPRETER if the bug is very near a savepoint. But I noticed that I hadn't gotten past the intro logos after five minutes with that setting. So even if it does work it's almost to slow to bugtest with. Perhaps if there was savestates it would be possible. We'll just have to hope that CORE_DYNAREC with the exception of the JIT functions works.)
  18. Yourmum

Yourmum New Member

ok, i made a savegame where all the necessary chat have been done, you can explore without having to talk to people :
    RapidShare: Easy Filehosting
    link2 if rapidshare is down : http://www.megaupload.com/?d=G5VKOM2X
    now a little "tutorial" to go to the shop :

1- http://img107.imageshack.us/img107/5286/firstvw4.jpg
    2- http://img107.imageshack.us/img107/9020/secondxy2.jpg

if you decide to go to the forest where the Xelha bug occur :

3- http://img60.imageshack.us/img60/8683/thirdpu3.jpg
    4- http://img179.imageshack.us/img179/9313/forest1zi6.jpg
    5- http://img142.imageshack.us/img142/2436/forest4sx7.jpg

just after step 5 there is a long fight (well it depend on your fps ;)) and some chatting with Xelha.

hope this could help...

you may be right this could work with x64 version, i also noticed that i didn't enable patching when i tested the game, i don't think it's necessary but maybe...(just to mention it)

I am not really interested to skip content of the game (or maybe last solution?) and i am sure that when other character will join, the bug will occur again.

however I'd like to kwon how and in wich version he have done it (pretty sure in the old 1.03beta2 for X64) so if Flow999 is reading this, i'd apreciate if he explain...anyway i will search for his old post this might help.
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2008
  19. eyepopper776

eyepopper776 New Member

First of all thanks to John for finding the fixes.

I've taken his ideeas and compiled R147 and R242 with them (x64 only for now)
    You can enable/disable the hacks at any time (the hacks will only be disabled once jit clears its code cache, though - eg: entering a new room/area)

Here's the patchfiles for those who want to compile x32.

R147 download

R242 download

And to the emu authors and John: Please, don't hit me :D
  20. John Peterson

John Peterson New Member

No problem :). It didn't take long once I realised that it was one of the JIT functions. Baten Kaitos is a little tougher. It's not JIT (I haven't tested in CORE_INTERPRETER of course), it's not a sound-cpu communication problem? What is it?

Very cool, I like that :). If we make an option to disabled all JIT we could quickly see if a bug is in JIT or not. Without the tedious need to quit the program, start it and go back to the place that bugs. Or always run it in slow non-JIT mode. (It should also have a debug message that confirms that the JIT cache was cleared and JIT is really disabled. Of course, you would notice that from the slowness.)

You're right. Patching and AR codes only has an effect if there is a patch file in the Patch directory. And I guess there is none at the moment.

I can confirm that the 64 bit version also bugs at the shopkeeper (dark screen when you select "Rest your wings"), the same thing for the 64 bit 1.03 from last year. I haven't gone to meet Xelha, I was trying to find an Action Replay code to make it faster to pass the boss and get there (I understand that there's at least one fight before you meet Xelha?). But I couldn't find any PAL codes. I found NTSC codes on four or five sites, but no PAL codes. (I also found codes for Baten Kaitos Origins but that's apparently a sequel that was out in 2006). And I only have the PAL version. If I find some PAL codes I could test the Xelha bug to. I also think that Flow999 had played to NTSC version so perhaps only the PAL version bugs, are you using PAL?
  21. Djipi

Djipi New Member

eyepopper776 , i really want to help you to find bug but i need X32 version because i haven't 64bit version. On Wind Waker Pal , there is a lot of problem with this game , crash and other . If we can find a way to solve them , before a good sound plugin , i would be great i think.

John Peterson , i would like to say thanks for your hard work , i hope ector and dolphin team will find some resolved problem with your work ^^