Game News / Trailers

Discussion in 'Game/Console Discussion' started by Gladiator@, Mar 30, 2010.

1. Nightmare

Nightmare king Kong Never Dies!

SNK is trying their best to go into China market with KOF14. I think this is a very smart move.

KOF series (97, 98, 02) had been dominating China arcade market for over 20 years. Even during the climax of SF4, most KOF players still refused to switch to SF series. (basically, you can see 5-20 kof machines in an arcade, but will see only 1-6 sf machine in an arcade. 6 machines are for those big arcades with lots of SF players) (But too bad, all of those kof machines are pirated, so SNK earned nothing)

Here, KOF also dominated the arcades (since SF3 era), but too bad, 95% of the arcade here were dead.
  2. Thanakil

Thanakil NGemu Award Winner Award Winner!

Harvest Moon: Light of Hope announced for PS4, Switch, and PC

http://gematsu.com/2017/05/harvest-moon-light-hope-announced-ps4-switch-pc
  3. Samor

Samor Foundry

4. RedLion

RedLion Better be better than yesterday

Last edited: May 19, 2017
  5. Strike105X

Strike105X ヒットハード&高速 Award Winner!

Though it may not be Scalebound anymore...
    RedLion and Lasnap like this.
  6. @ruantec

@ruantec Crazy GFX coder Emu Author

I really like Platinum Games and as developers they are great. However, I wonder how gaming business work because I would be pissed as hell if a company do what they did with Scalebound. They had quite few games in development and EVERY game got released except Scalebound because of their incompetence. I bet MS put quite an amount of money in that game.
  7. Thanakil

You're assuming it wasn't released because of Platinum Games, and not because of Microsoft.
    Developers who previously worked with Microsoft and suffered for it (Lionhead, Darkside) have said that Microsoft would constantly give them contradicting orders. One branch at MS would tell them to do one thing with the game, a different branch or executive would tell them to do something completely different. Scalebound was overseen by THE guy at Platinum Games. By their number 1 developer/designer. Who went into a depression when the game was canned. Did Platinum fail to release the game because they weren't passionate about it, or because MS didn't know what they even wanted from the game?

If the MS-published game is the only one not to release, why is that?
    Is it because Platinum didn't care about that game? (having your best developer on it seems to say no)
    Or is it because having Microsoft as your publisher comes with risks? (Games announced by Microsoft at E3 2014: Project Spark, Scalebound, Phantom Dust reboot, Crackdown. 3 cancelled, 1 delayed indefinitely)

We can't simply assume that the game wasn't released because of the incompetence of the suits at Microsoft.
    But we also can't assume that the game wasn't released because of the incompetence of the developer. Especially not one that has shown itself to be competent.
    We don't know who's to blame for it.
    RedLion and Strike105X like this.
  8. Samor

Samor Foundry

AFAIK scalebound was "invented" by Platinum yet because of deals it's now owned by MS. Perhaps it will come to life as "Hexic 3: Scalebound" at this point...
  9. Thanakil

"Now introducing a new character to the Killer Instinct series: Drew, the main character from Scalebound, who has dragon-like abilities! Scalebound in store everywhere next week. Permanently unlock every version of Drew by linking the full version of Scalebound to your Microsoft Play-Anywhere account."
  10. Hyuga

Hyuga Classic Games Lover

C'mon Hexic was the shit, man. Spent hours playing it on 360 :D
  11. Thanakil

"Now introducing a new character to the Killer Instinct series: the red tile from Hexic. Learn how to surround your enemies to destroy them, use bombs to stun them. Buy the new premium version of Hexic to unlock the golden skin for the red tile."

I'm mostly kidding because I think introducing characters to Killer Instinct this way would be a great way to advertise the games.
    Hyuga likes this.
  12. @ruantec

Scalebound was mainly the dream of that Platinum Games dude who directed Bayonetta. It was his dream project and he had a mental breakdown. He went home to recover for a whole month and when he returned and the rest they were obviously behind in the schedule. They were just eating a hell lot of money just like lionhead and you can pay their bills forever. It was their incompetence nevertheless.

I work as a developer for so many years and when I get involved into a project no matter who our customer is we have to deliver else is my team incompetence. There is no way to excuse such things. They had too many projects going on and all of them got released as they hit their goals but completely messed up that one.

That's incompetence in my eyes.
  13. Thanakil

Company A has announced 18 games over 11 years. 15 have been released, 2 are under development, 1 was cancelled.
    Company B has announced 4 games in a single year. 3 were cancelled, 1 was delayed indefinitely.

So if I understand correctly, Company A is incompetent, correct?
    RedLion, koko and Strike105X like this.
  14. @ruantec

I don't care who is who and which company cancelled what and who didn't. Company A give me a job to do and I accept. Either i complete the job or i'm incompetent and there is no excuses around that. I would like you to explain my previous and current boss the exact same thing if i didn't deliver the countless projects i worked on the past 11 years.

Good luck with that.....that's not how things work in a real world bro.
  15. Thanakil

And Platinum Games were willing to complete the job. They weren't the ones who stopped development on the game. Microsoft did.

If they had a contract where Microsoft said "We give you 50m to make the game, you give us a game in return" and Platinum failed, then I would agree they were incompetent.
    Or if Microsoft said "We give you a blank check, you give us a game in 3 years" and Platinum failed, then I would agree they were incompetent.

But that wasn't the case. It was a joint development, were Platinum would work on the game and Microsoft would continuously give them feedback and tell them what to change.
    And that's where your comparison failed. In your comparison, the Company hiring you isn't involved in the development. In the case of Microsoft & Platinum, MS was 100% involved in the development of the game.
    That's why I'm telling you: We don't know for a fact who fucked up.
    Strike105X likes this.
  16. @ruantec

Have you checked for a chance how development usually work? for the past 11 years i have worked in several projects and I have yet to see a company who give the company I work for a full load of money for the project and expect a complete product. That's not how it works bro.

A company usually contact our managers and request a product they want or something we may be tinkering for a while they heard of. Depending on the deal they pay for the development in cycles which means there is a investement from their part mostly. The reason for that is because we developers aren't cheap and our company have to pay our bills. If we are incompetent and do not deliver the company who expect a product from us will take the current development and go else were and I and my team will get fired for no other than for being incompetent and don't deliver.

Projects are never easy to acomplish because those who expect a product keep constantly changing ideas and concepts making our schedule even harder to mantain, that's almost a rule. However, there are ways to keep a realistic view of things and better ways to do such things. I don't disagree that MS may have some piece of the cake when it comes to the failure but Platinum didn't deliver and were behind the schedule probably forcing them to quit as that's how it happen in projects of that kind.
  17. Strike105X

Strike105X ヒットハード&高速 Award Winner!

Sorry @ruantec but i'm with Thanakil on this one as well, as no details have been given we can't know for sure who is to blame, all we know for sure is MS stopped Platinum Games development of the game, but we don't know for sure why that happened. And when you look at the big picture on one side we have one company who except one certain MS project always delivered and on the other a company who is known for canning projects out of nowhere and ruining studios in the process. Out of all the investors and partners they had it happened to just be MS the one they had issues with that can't help but make things questionable.
    koko likes this.
  18. @ruantec

It's fine bro as everyone is entitled to his opinion. There are two reasons why I have mine though and that's the fact that they were behind schedule for quite a while and also the fact that they had to take 1 month off the development. Both are a clear sign that the development wasn't going on right as I have seen similar projects going downhill for similar reasons. What exactly happened remains unclear but those two reasons alone would make any of my bosses fire me inmediatly if it happened to me or my team.

We know MS isn't a saint that came from heaven but is completely absurd to believe they will be pushing those developers to the point they will have a total mental breakdown and simply cancel a highly anticipated game.
  19. Thanakil

There were indeed reports of the game being behind schedule. But statements by developers from both Lionhead and Darkside have said that the suits at MS would often meddle with the games and their plans for the game, which led to the games being... behind schedule. It's easy for a game to fall behind when you have multiple conflicting visions. Which is why I keep saying we don't know what happened. We can only assume on what happened.

Did they have a troubled development because Platinum didn't know what they were doing? Or did they have a troubled development because a publisher with a history of meddling in the development of video games did it one more time?
    Maybe MS meddled, got Platinum behind schedule, and cancelled the game. Similar to what they did to Fable Legends, the Phantom Dust reboot and Project Spark.
    Or maybe Platinum just made a game that wasn't very fun, struggled to make it fun, and MS decided it wasn't worth to spend more money on it when they could spend that money on a different studio.

They're both likely scenarios. And they both have as much evidence behind each of them: none whatsoever.
    So we can put the blame on one company specifically. But if we do, we must admit: we do it based on pure assumptions. Not based on facts.
  20. @ruantec

They aren't the biggest studio in the world but they were surely working on more games than many bigger studios out there. I guess we have different opinons on the matter so we will just end into a endless argument discussion here :p