Gamepad doesn't work... please help!

Discussion in 'ePSXe Discussion' started by Frostedbutts, Jul 6, 2009.

1. Frostedbutts

Frostedbutts New Member

I'm using ePSXe 1.7 and I am having issues with getting my controller working.

I'm using one of these, with a Dualshock2 PS2 controller:
    Amazon.com: Playstation 2 to PC USB Gamepad Converter: Video Games

I know the controller works by using it through my PS2.

I am using PadDi v1.0 plugin for my controller, and have it setup with the default button configuration, and the DualShock controller from the drop down box. The controller works in the Windows test and is calibrated. The analog light is ON with a green light when I press f5 when the game starts. I'm playing FFIX and FF8.

I don't really care whether analog will work in either of them, I just want to use the controller, but it won't work. I'm pressing every button while the game is starting, and nothing works.

Can anyone help?

System:
    Intel 3.0GHz Dualcore
    HD4870
    Windows XP SP3
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2009
  2. NGEmu.com Advertisement

3. masta.g.86

masta.g.86 No sir, I don't like it. Award Winner!

What? Since when does ePSXe support pad plugins? Do you actually mean driver?

The default button configuration in ePSXe is mapped to the keyboard. As such, a gamepad will simply not work until you map the controls to the gamepad.
  4. Frostedbutts

Frostedbutts New Member

I wasn't sure if it needed one or not, so I put one in my plugin folder.

Regardless, it didn't work before or after I had one. And yes, I have my keys mapped. I have a screenshot of my controller config linked:

[​IMG]
  5. jonc2006

jonc2006 God of Douchebagness™

does it actually respond in-game to those keyboard mappings when you use that as your input device instead of your controller?
  6. Frostedbutts

Frostedbutts New Member

I'm not sure what you mean, but I think you mean if I press those given keys on the keyboard does it work?

If so, the answer is yes. Z is X in my game when entered through my keyboard. If that isn't what you meant let me know :)
  7. jonc2006

i mean if we exclude the controller from the picture altogether, and you use the keyboard as your input device instead, does it respond in-game (not in the key mapping menu, but when a game is actually up and running) like it should or does it produce the same behavior?
  8. Frostedbutts

Frostedbutts New Member

Just the controller, yes. When using the keyboard everything works as it should.
  9. KrossX

KrossX クロスエックス

Did you actually map the Pad to use your gamepad?
    ePSXe => Config => GamePad....
  10. Frostedbutts

Frostedbutts New Member

I don't know what you mean by that... but I posted an SS of what my config screen looks like a few posts up. There's really no other option other than game pad 1 and slot 1 to my knowledge.
  11. Frostedbutts

Frostedbutts New Member

Oh, now I get what you mean. In the controller menu I just tried to assign my buttons on the gamepad... but when I press the buttons in the config screen nothing happens.
  12. jonc2006

have you tried pressing the analog toggle button on the controller itself?
  13. Frostedbutts

Frostedbutts New Member

In the config menu it doesn't do anything.

During the game it just toggles the analog on/off in the corner.
  14. masta.g.86

masta.g.86 No sir, I don't like it. Award Winner!

Uh, when mapping buttons, are you clicking the message boxes with the preassigned keyboard keys and then pressing the button that you want to map?
  15. Frostedbutts

Frostedbutts New Member

Oh, no. I clicked default. Whenever I try to map the buttons it says J2_RIGHT.

Sorry about that :/
  16. Frostedbutts

Frostedbutts New Member

I tried looking around and found something called the Gamepad Configurator, which I couldn't find any live links to.

Would that help? Or am I just heading in a dead end.
  17. KrossX

KrossX クロスエックス

First map your Gamepad to ePSXe, then post a screenshot of how you have it mapped.

Same as the previous screen you posted, but instead of having the keyboard mapped, map the Gamepad. And, post the screenie once done.