GeDoSaTo: Downsampling MAYHEM! MAYHEM! MAYHEM!

Discussion in 'PC Games Screenshots' started by snickothemule, May 1, 2014.

1. snickothemule

snickothemule brb gonna go fist the world lol Junior Contributor Award Winner!

What is GeDoSaTo?

This is a tool by Durante (the dude who famously made fixed Dark Souls rendering limitations and turned a dud port into something special) that allows you to exceed your monitors resolution by a factor of your choosing. Play games at 4K on your 1600x900 screen? Ain't no thang.

What?!

Yep. This tool allows you to downsample any res of your choosing to your monitors native res. What does that mean? Sharper image quality. The best thing is that it's not limited by your monitors hardware. I couldn't get a stable downsample through custom resolution settings in the nvidia control panel on my Yamakasi Catleap, but could relatively easily with this tool.

On the left, my monitors native 2560x1440 rendering setting. On the right, 5120x2880 downsampled to native res.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Do I need super amazing computer power to play at these super resolutions?

Probably, but it really depends on the game. Unreal Tournament 3 for example is hitches alot with my 2500k and 760 Superclocked at 5120x2880. Not playable, but it does allow me to get some very nice screenshots.

You have to keep in mind this is still in alpha. If you want to try alternative methods, there are downsampling threads on neogaf and Guru3D that will give you better compatibility (if you can get it running that is), but for ease of use this tool has a lot of promise.

Features:

A few screens of my own. Click for huge.

2560x1440

[​IMG]

5120x2880 downsampled to 2560x1440

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Last edited: May 1, 2014
    Hard core Rikki and KrossX like this.
  2. NGEmu.com Advertisement

3. DinJerr

DinJerr Meow Meow Meow Award Winner!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't supersampling anti-aliasing theoratically do the same thing?
  4. KrossX

KrossX クロスエクス

One thing I can think of is higher resolution making ugly huge HUDs look smaller and pretty.
  5. Squall-Leonh@rt

Squall-Leonh@rt Maybe I'm a Lion

No.
  6. shinra358

shinra358 Member

I wonder if using this instead of max aa in sleeping dogs will make it look better with better fps....

If it shrinks huds, that may be a good thing for 3Dvision since that is a main gripe about it. Could also reduce the need for AA filtering xD

Edit: Doesn't seem to work with sleeping dogs and the regular way through the drivers doesn't seem to work on notebooks :(
    Last edited: May 13, 2014
  7. DinJerr

DinJerr Meow Meow Meow Award Winner!

Tried it with PSO2, and doesn't seem to give any better visual quality than tradtional AA, in fact some parts had worse aliasing. Should I bump up the internal render even more? The UI gets horridly tiny though. :p
    [​IMG]