Golden Sun - Dark Dawn

Discussion in 'DeSmuME Discussion' started by Razh, Nov 28, 2010.

1. Razh

Razh New Member

I'm new with Desmume and I only got it so I can play this game, which fails on No$.

There are 2 problems. There's this constant buzzing sound as soon as any text box appears. It first starts when I have to type in a character name, it goes away during that long ass intro, then returns as soon as Isaac starts dialogue. I can even hear the melody in the background.

Another problem is that the game is running slow. Sluggish kinda. Like it's all in slowmo.

If I'd go trial an error method, I would only waste time, so I'm asking for some recommendations. If I make it work in the mean time, I'll let you know. I'm not really an expert in playing on DS emulators, more like a casual gamer.

EDIT: And yeah, almost forgot, animations are shaky, but that's less of an issue compared to the other 2.

Btw, my specs:
    Win XP SP2
    AMD Athlon 65 x2 Dual Core 4200+
    2 GB RAM
    ATI Sapphire HD 3850 (512 RAM)

Anyway, I tried to find a thread about this game in this sub-forum and couldn't find anything, so I apologize if I missed it.
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2010
  2. NGEmu.com Advertisement

3. SCHUMI_4EVER

SCHUMI_4EVER Hackin 'n Slashin Staff Member Award Winner!

The speed is most likely connected to your system being on the weak side. You could try increasing the frameskipping but I don't think it's going to help much.
    As the sound have you fiddled with any of the synched sound options? Perhaps theres one where it doesn't buzz.
  4. Razh

Razh New Member

No, sync methods didn't work. Just changed the buzz frequency. Activating Advanced SPU Logic, however, did. The only problem there is that menu and other SFX sound like ****. Fragmented and echoing. Activating Shut Up under Emulation makes the background music sound awesome, but yeah, no SFX. Does Shut Up remove all SFX, including the ones in battle?

I tried changing renderer in 3D Settings from SoftRastersizer to OpenGl and the game runs a little smoother, unfortunately my PC freezes after a minute, which sucks. Guess my card doesn't have enough memory for that?
  5. SCHUMI_4EVER

SCHUMI_4EVER Hackin 'n Slashin Staff Member Award Winner!

Memory? no that's not the issue...garbage ATi OpenGL support could be the reason though.
  6. andreyand

andreyand New Member

My game is running almost perfect on DesmuME 0.9.6.

Only a few minor sound bugs and when summon, grafic bugs on the animation of the summon.

The rest is perfetc. I will upload a video right way.
    Edited: see here:

http://forums.ngemu.com/1925849-post43.html
  7. Razh

Razh New Member

Well, looking at your specs, it's no wonder it runs smooth.

Making it playable on my configuration should be tricky, but I think it can be done.

EDIT: Also, I think you meant 6 GB RAM ;)
  8. Aginor37

Aginor37 New Member

You might try this, it runs slow on my slow computer, smooth on my newer one, but both work well.

Boot from firmware dumped from your DS, and set frame skip to zero (really important, as seems like any frameskip causes most/all the screen flickering issues and can prevent the bottom screen from loading at all in battles) using soft rasterizer. Also might try with sound off just to start, kind of like a "safe mode" so you can at least establish a baseline for wether your computer is going to run it playable at all. Although you really should be able to, my slow computer (AMD 64 single core at 2.6ghz, geforce 6600 256 mb) runs it at a slow but playable 26-30 fps with no sound.
  9. Razh

Razh New Member

I never use frame skip, not since early days of Visual Boy Advance. 3D in game just moves slower. And battles are a disaster.

Also, I tried running Suikoden Tierkreis on Desmume, which runs perfect on No$, and my PC just froze, like earlier when I tried with OpenGL renderer. Confusing. I'll try to search the forum for that one.
  10. Laptopnut

Laptopnut New Member

I also got the buzzing sound and when I enabled Advanced SPU Logic, the menu and other sound effects as you described sounded like crap. However, I found that when I changed Synchronisation mode from Dual SPU to Synchronous and Sync Method Z, sound was fine apart from the text box sound effect missing.

By the way, I get 42 fps on my laptop at 1600 x 900 native resolution with this game. Specs are 1.73 Ghz mobile i7 820qm CPU, Nvidia GTX 285M GPU and I have the W860CU model 15.6''. I am running Windows 7 X64 Home with 6GB and a 500GB Momentus XT hybrid HDD. I had to disable frame skip otherwise everything was shaky and screens were mixed up.
  11. Kein

Kein Advanced Winblows user

I reported about the weird overall slowness in GS (99% arm load), but it looks like zeromus see no bug here (a surprise, indeed), so, it won't be fixed.
  12. shashClp

shashClp Emu author Emu Author

If it's not a bug, what did you expect, hacks to get the game faster? That's not the direction the DeSmuME team has taken so far, and it's unlikely to change.
  13. Lightchild

Lightchild New Member

In other words, if this isn't a bug, it means that this game needs a more powerful system to work properly. A proof of that is the video posted in the compatibility thread. The game in my case runs not so slow, but not so smooth as I could expect. Something like 35-55 FPS (depending on the moment. In some moments it's capable to reach 60 FPS), with softrasterizer, Synchronous Sound mode with Synch Mode P, Linear Interpolation, Advanced SPU logic activated, and with Advanced Bus-Level Timing and frame skipping disabled. By the way, these are my computer specifications:

Operative System: Win XP SP3 32 bits
    Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo E7400 @2.80 GHz
    Memory: 4 GB RAM (detected up to 3 GB)
    Graphics Card: XFX nVidia Geforce 9400 GT 1 GB GDDR2

These are my two cents with respect of this.

See ya!
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2010
  14. zeromus_

zeromus_ desmume coder

This game uses sound capture. Nocash doesnt support that. Desmume emulates it when "advanced SPU logic" is enabled. (in most cases when enabling advanced SPU logic you will also need to use synchronous mode).

Most games just use sound capture for basic reverb/surround/etc. (example: mario kart).

However, this game seems to use it in a novel way: It uses the arm7 to render only the BGM. The results are captured and then the game program mixes sound effects itself into the capture buffer!! Then the result of that gets output. (this conclusion is drawn solely from the SFX in the frontend. I didnt play into the game)

This might be because the game's sound engineers wanted to keep 14 channels for music at all times, mixing the SFX in software. Or, the music could be reverbed and the SFX could be mixed in with other reverb parameters (e.g. no reverb). (This would be helpful since the NDS hardware can't pick which channels get mixed into the reverb buffer and so adding nice reverb for the music would muddy up the sounds).

Possibly the SFX are compressed or streamed which might be an inducement to mix them manually, but I didnt check for this.

When "advanced SPU logic" is disabled, there is no input to the capture buffer from the music. Without that, the reverb filter which is running on the capture buffer continually processes the same data, applying reverb after reverb. This is just silence--until the first sound effect is played, after which the reverb compounding/feedback results in noise which stays there forever since there is no "advanced SPU logic" (capture) to write new samples to that buffer.

So, in summary, the game just requires sound capture to work correctly. After setting this up, any echoes or glitches should just be artifacts of the sound synchronization and a fast enough CPU shouldn't have trouble.

For the record "shut up" kills all currently playing sounds. This includes the capture channels, which may never come back (as they may be setup only once when the game boots). And since theyre not playing, this game will have no more SFX..
  15. Exophase

Exophase Emu author Emu Author

Geez, Camelot always going for overkill on audio. Golden Sun 2 output at 64KHz which is insane compared to every other GBA game, and like the other Camelot games on the platform used extensive self modifying code in the audio engine and probably in other places. I wonder if this game uses self modifying code too.
  16. HarmfulDesign

HarmfulDesign New Member

Problems with Emulators

I have been having problems with running Dark Dawn on both No$GBA and Desmume. At first, No$ displayed nothing but a black screen when trying to play the ROM. I was able to fix this by enabling EX0, EX3, and EX5 under EXTRAS and by loading from the No$ BIOS. I am using No$ version 2.6a with No$ Zoomer 2.3.0.2. The problem I am having with No$ now are the graphics. I always use the nocash rendering option, but this causes some parts of the environment to be transparent. There is also flickering when using summons. I have tried using OpenGL, but that slows the emulation speed from a smooth 30 FPS down to around 24 FPS.

With Desmume, I encountering a terrible buzzing sound and slow emulation speed (around 24 FPS). I have tried multiple settings, including both enabled and disabled Dual SPU and Synchronous with all three synch methods, with 5880 buffer size, Linear interpolation, and both enabled Advanced SPU logic. I have also tried disabling Advanced Bus-Level timing with both SoftRasterizer and open GL. I was able to git rid of the buzzing aound by using these options in combination with noise suppression (the sound is still a little scratchy, but that's no big deal). However, I cannot seem to get the emulation speed up to at least 30 FPS no matter what I do. I've tried disabling sound altogether, but it didn't help (I wouldn't want to play without sound anyway; GS has great music!). I am using Desmume version 0.9.7. Can anyone give me any suggestions?

My Computer specs are as follows:
    CPU: AMD Athlon 4050e Dual Core @ 2100 Mhz
    3 GB RAM
    NVIDIA GeForce 8200 w/ 256 MB VRAM
  17. Lightchild

Lightchild New Member

That could be the reason why in your case the game runs slow. This game in particular requires a more powerful system (DesMuME is CPU-based), in order to work properly. Read the andreyand's post for knowing more or less what do you need (it would be less than that, it's only for reference).

That's all I can say about that.
  18. bloodmoore

bloodmoore New Member

hi, my game was having the same problems, but all fixed thanks to this thread, annoying thing is, the game runs painfully slowly (max of 16/60 FPS) can anyone tell me if there's anything i can do to speed things up?

my specs:
    Processor: AMD Athelon II dual Core M300 2.00 GHz
    RAM: 3GB
    Video Card: ATI Radeon HD 4200
  19. molh394

molh394 New Member

Try these: Faq - DeSmuME
    If those still don't work you probably need a faster CPU.
  20. bloodmoore

bloodmoore New Member

brilliant, thank you. disabling the BUS option bumped it up to a still slow, but much more playable average of 40 FPS :thumb:
  21. HarmfulDesign

HarmfulDesign New Member

I thought that might have something to do with it. I suppose I could overclock my CPU to get a bit more speed, but I doubt it would be enough of an increase to see any significant changes when using desmume. Besides, overclocking causes the CPU to generate extra heat, and any CPU with a speed of over 1 Ghz can generate a considerable amount of heat even when running at its intended speed.

Also, after playing for a few hours in no$, the only places where those transparent-environment problems occurred were at the very beginning of the game (i.e., the mountain area that Isaac built his house on). There is also a tiny bit of a slow-down in places where there is a lot happening in one screen (i.e, towns, etc.), but its barely noticeable.Other than that, no problems with using no$.

Lastly, I heard some people say on some other websites say that the creator of no$ passed away. Is that true? If so, is anyone planning to continue the project?