GOTY 2016

Discussion in 'Game/Console Discussion' started by snickothemule, Dec 22, 2016.

1. snickothemule

snickothemule brb gonna go fist the world lol Junior Contributor Award Winner!

Alright fam post your goty.

Mine's pretty easy, DOOM is without question one of the best single player shooters I've played, not just this year but probably for all times. It has masterfully crafted the silent protagonist by giving him a real personality and not succumbing to the tired "the player puts themselves in the world" shtick. The movement and shooting is spot on, feels oh so tight and continually refreshes itself throughout the campaign.

The story, although nothing really new, is put together well and Sam Hayden is a fantastic character and idea. While I think the world at times is a little dull, the exceptionally clever use of vertical design in the map creation, along with plenty of secrets has created something special in a world of ultra linear, fetch quest escapades that are easily forgettable.

Doom is something special and my GOTY.
  2. NGEmu.com Advertisement

3. Samor

Samor Foundry

FORZA HORIZON 3 !!!!111111111111ELEVEN

contest over.
    @ruantec likes this.
  4. Thanakil

Thanakil NGemu Award Winner Award Winner!

There were quite a few games that I enjoyed greatly, but it's hard for me to pick one that truly stands out.
    Usually, my GOTY would go to a game that stuck with me. This either means a game that I am constantly replaying, getting LOTS of value from it. Or a game with a story/world/characters/subjects that stuck with me, coming back in my head, again and again.

I haven't really had a game that stuck with me mentally, so I'm gonna go with the game I'll keep replaying: Battlefield 1.
    I came close to not playing it, as I tested the Open Beta and HATED IT. I had previously found a very low priced preorder for the game, and simply cancelled it at the time, knowing I couldn't get a similar price again.
    I dislike everything during that beta. The gunplay felt arcadey, like Battlefront. No recoil, no power behind the guns. The map was super small and tight. With tanks on it, it felt like the game was overwhelmed by explosions and purely nothing else. It was the opposite of what I want from a BF game.

But at release I gave it a second try with the "10 hours trial" and loved it so much more.
    With Battlefield 1, it feels like the developers pulled back a little. Stripped down the game compared to the previous ones. Less gadgets. Less fiddling. Remove the superfluous, stick to the core.
    It feels like a straight forward incarnation of Battlefield that focused on the pillars of what makes a BF game, and simply built on them.
    For me, it's a great multiplayer experience. I already got my money's worth out of it, and I'm planning to keep playing.
    Also, amazing PC version. Stunning visuals combined with great performance.

Other games I loved:
    Doom - Makes you feel badass by giving you REASONS to feel badass. Puts you in a badass scenario, gives you a gun, and tells you "do your thing". You're not told your character is badass, you just are.
    Witcher 3: Blood and Wine - When an expansion is large enough to be a game on its own. A small game, but it could still be a stand-alone game and stay amazing. Great RPG.
    WoW: Legion - I thought I was done with WoW. That I had taken everything I could take from it. But this expansion did many, MANY things right. A legitimately good single-player and multiplayer RPG hides in it.
    UnderRail - It released 2 weeks before 2016. It's a great and meaty old-school isometric turn-based RPG. Unforgiving, barely any help given, but so much fun to figure out on your own.
    Tyranny - I loved that it started with you already being a powerful character, unlike every damn RPG out there. You're powerful, you interact with powerful people, your allies are powerful and unique. Very interesting.
    Deus Ex: Mankind Divided - The world, cities and universe have so much personality. The characters have NONE. Great game to get lost into, only to be disappointed by the NPCs and the abrupt ending.
    Watch Dogs 2 - I thought the game would suck. Genuinely, I thought it would suck. Only bought it because I had a deep craving for a GTA clone. It doesn't suck, it's actually pretty satisfying.
  5. @ruantec

@ruantec Crazy GFX coder Emu Author

Above GOTY:
    - Killer Instinct

Now that we made that clear....

My GOTY:
    - Forza Horizon 3. The best game of 2016 for me and the one i will spend a hell of time playing next week because is awesome.

Honorable mentions:
    - Doom. Fantastic and probably the second best game of the year for me.
    - Gears of War 4. Impressive game with some wacky stuff but awesome still.
    - Uncharted 4. A little wacky but very enjoyable regardless.
    - Quantum Break. My former GOTY that ended up as a very enjoyable game but the mechanic issues disappointed me at the end.
    - ReCore. Not the biggest title out there but very enjoyable.
    - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare. Usually not my type of game but it ended up being the Titanfall i was waiting to play and more.

Disappointment of the year:
    . The Witcher/MayCry Fantasy 15. Still enjoyable and will beat it down the road in the name of FF franchise.
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2016
  6. Silenus

Silenus Pilgrim Junior Contributor

Witcher 3 is my game of the year. Blood and wine still gives it an edge this year. :D
    Hyuga likes this.
  7. Samor

Samor Foundry

Problem is that I usually don't fully play a game in its release year... I massively enjoyed Yakuza 3-5 but they're OLD.
    Kellicros likes this.
  8. Paratech

Paratech Active Member

Stardew Valley. I know I'm alone in being addicted to the game *on this forum* but its eating up all my game time.
    Thanakil and Samor like this.
  9. Thanakil

On Steam, I voted Stardew Valley for the "I liked this game before it won an award" and "best use of a farm animal" awards.
    It IS a very good game. This is the best Harvest Moon game on PC, and I would say it's the best Harvest Moon game there simply is. (But I don't know much about that genre, I'm a total casual)
    I personally don't have a huge passion for that type of game, I tend to get bored after reaching the third season, but it's an incredibly complete game.
    It also benefits from a loving developer who kept updating it with new features and content. An absolute beauty of an indie game. Not my type, but I can see the qualities.
    Samor likes this.
  10. Samor

Samor Foundry

yeah, it seems to be a better "Harvest Moon" than the series itself.
  11. Silenus

I try to get as far away from games like Stardew Valley as I can. They can be so addicting, I know I would fall down that rabbit hole.
    Just one more thing to do...
  12. Nightmare

Nightmare king Kong Never Dies!

All the games i played are GOTY. I enjoyed all of them.

It is unfair no matter which one i choose. But if i need to choose only one, i will choose KOF14. Merely because a good fighting game is something i can keep playing again and again without feeling boring, and also the fact that my opponents are human not AI.
  13. DinJerr

DinJerr Meow Meow Meow Award Winner!

Overwatch. I don't even like FPS games, yet I play at least a round daily.
  14. Kellicros

Kellicros retired Contributors

I really need to play Blood and Wine since I loved the main game, but it's been so long since I played it I wonder if it's worth it to relearn all the mechanics for a just a chapter or something.

Same here, most of my recently played AAA titles are from the year 2015, I also just finished Grim Fandango remastered, now that's the funniest game I have ever played in a while.
  15. Thanakil

Blood and Wine itself is long enough that it'll be worth it to relearn the mechanics. The main campaign is around 15-20 hours, the length of a normal game.
    Main campaign + side quests goes from 25 to 35h.

I think they also added some new mechanics with Blood and Wine anyway, which will have to be learned.
    Kellicros likes this.
  16. Silenus

Yes so much to do in Blood and Wine.
    I even started getting the skellige Gwent deck. :p

@Kellicros The game is worthy for a comeback.
  17. Kellicros

Kellicros retired Contributors

Thanks, one of these days I am gonna load up my old save file to get a hang of things, then get blood and wine. Or would you guys recommend I start fresh with the premade save?

I don't remember where I'm left off but I did finished the main game and heart of stone and have some mastercrafted witcher gears.
  18. Thanakil

A premade save could be easier and allow you to start at a level/power fit for the expansion.
    But using an old save has some cool benefits. Blood and Wine has a house in which you can exhibit your pieces of armor or unique weapons.
    I would stick with the old save to benefit from old armor you want to show + the money you've amassed.

If there's any side-quest you haven't completed in the main game, you could use them to re-learn your character before starting the expansion.
  19. Silenus

Don't know if it's normal but the quest are level 40+.
    I'm 42 atm.

But I'm sure by the time you finished the main game you were in the 30's at least.
  20. koko

koko ! Award Winner!

I didn't finish Doom yet, but it's my GOTY easily. I'm not even a big fan of Doom, and I didn't play Doom 3.
  21. Strike105X

Strike105X ヒットハード&高速 Award Winner!

Hands down my goty is Titanfall 2. It's nice to be so hyped for a game and it paying it of. BT was the most awesome mech ever!