having trouble patching Company of Heroes

Discussion in 'Game/Console Discussion' started by MrPink, Feb 7, 2008.

1. MrPink

MrPink Pink Poney

i just got this game today and the expansion, Opposing Fronts, and am trying to finish up installing the first Company of Heroes. my problem is the patch that needs to be downloaded in order to use Relic Online. Because for some reason, the ~117mb patch downloads VERY slow compared to my normal download speeds which are usually 500kbps.

i was wondering if anyone else encountered the same problem when they installed the game, and if they know where i can get the patch manually from another source. I want to play CoH, but i would have to leave my comp on all day in order to finish downloading this patch, that is how slow the connection is.
  2. NGEmu.com Advertisement

3. Kurbster

Kurbster Administrator Staff Member

It's a weird patching process.....It requires several incremental patches to get CoH up-to-date

the patches you need to download (and install) in order:
    1.0 to 1.4
    1.4 to 2.101 (huge ass patch....1.8Gb...because it includes Opposing Front data for non-OF owners so they can play online)
    2.101 to 2.102
    2.102 to 2.103
    2.103 to 2.201

all downloads here:
    CoH File Download

should install CoH and the Expansion Pack together before patching

edit: actually, installing Opposing Front after CoH might automatically upgrade the original CoH to 2.101....not too sure about this
  4. MrPink

MrPink Pink Poney

yeah, but maybe i forgot to describe my problem.

i am unable to manually patch CoH, and it is because it is not being entered into the windows registry when i install it. the patching program tells me this too, i get an error message telling how the install path is not in the registry, and how i installed the game wrong. i have reinstalled CoH 4 times now, and with no success.

so now i am trying to reinstall AGAIN, but with no anitvirus services running. i am running a barebones boot right now, to eliminate any chances that the game is not entered into the registry. and suppose that did not work?
    could someone show me how to manually enter CoH, all the relevant data, into the registry so i can patch it?

edit: in case i sound confusing, the main point is that CoH is not being added to the windows registry when it is installed, and that is why i can not patch it.

edit again: so actually, CoH is in my registry, but it is in another part dedicated to 32 bit apps. the reason being that i have a 64 bit install of windows, so in regular HKEYLOCALMACHINE>Software i have 64 bit apps listed, i have to go to Wow6432node to find my 32 bit application registry entries. and lo and behold, CoH is in there. i really do not know what is wrong now.
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2008
  5. JJXB

JJXB I Am Merely A Pawn...

have you tried copying and pasting the reg. keys into HKEYLOCALMACHINE>Software, installing the patches then pasting back the new keys into the old location if they've been modified by the patches?
  6. Kurbster

Kurbster Administrator Staff Member

exactly

It's odvious here that the patcher doesn't look in that particular key (Wow6432node) for installations on 64-bit machines. You have to duplicate the exact registry structure of a copy of CoH installed on a 32-bit machine. I'll give you a copy of my CoH registry structure once I get home :)
  7. MrPink

MrPink Pink Poney

ok, so i got the game installed now:heh:

but the fun continues...now the game won't run without crashing to desktop. i tried doing the tutorials, and the game crashed after about 10min, then i restarted it, and it crashed after about 20min. now the game refuses to start, because my video drivers "stop responding" every time the game finishes loading right before the log in menu.

i have an 8800gtx and am using the latest official drivers from nvidia 169.25
    also the game will not start fullscreen, and i can't find a config file to mess around with in order to fix this. how do you get the game to run stably? how do you get it to start fullscreen? would you recommend running it in dx9 instead of dx10?

i was not expecting this much hassle from the 2006 game of the year (pc gamer), Supreme Commander:wub: remains my all time favorite until this game starts behaving!:angry: