Help choosing motherboard z170

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion' started by Nero3733, Jul 21, 2016.

1. Nero3733

Nero3733 New Member

Hi everyone, recently I bought the 6700k skylake processor and im buying the motherboard to go with it next and I really want the asus maximus VIII hero alpha but its pretty much all the money I got for my budget towards a motherboard ($300) but I wanted to have atleast like 75 bucks left outta that money or so.So basically what I'm looking for is a mother board thats like 200 or 220 that has pretty much all the same specs at the hero alpha but its slightly cheaper most important things that i want is high freg ddr4 mem 3800 hopefully M.2 and u.2 ports (i do plan to use M.2 nvme storage) The mother board other then the hero alpha that im looking at was the gigabyte g1 gaming board but I would like to stay with asus if possible but isn't a must.

So to sum it up a board that has pretty much all the specs of hero alpha minus a few things that could drive the price up (led headers etc) which i dont need.Any help would be greatly appreciated thanks guys.
  2. NGEmu.com Advertisement

3. snickothemule

snickothemule brb gonna go fist the world lol Junior Contributor Award Winner!

Nero3733 likes this.
  4. Nero3733

Nero3733 New Member

whetstone supposed to be in between the hero and hero alpha? it looks like it has mainly the same as alpha cept whetstone has sata express as the alpha doesnt.
  5. Nero3733

Nero3733 New Member

What do you make of only 3 eggs on the hero alpha and 4 or more on the gigabyte gaming 7 board.I'm having difficulty choosing between the two because of this.The asus apparently ppl have been having issues with sound card and space in a mid tower with the i/o panel being so decked out with plastic bulk.As for the gigabyte same thing been hearing about sound issues on the onboard card and apparently the very same memory i was planning on buying ( g skill trident z series) is having issues with compatability on this board for some reason not posting said frequency's on the memory...an even bigger concern right there because as far as benchmarking and real world speed the g skill trident z is top of the line and i would like to have it.Any thoughts on these inquiries?
  6. snickothemule

hmmmm, it seems a bit shady if the out of the box experience isn't going to work too well. If there are a lot of issues reported the safe bet is to stay away.

Have you looked at the MSI boards? When I was selecting manufacturers for my X99 build they seemed very good outside of an issue with the usb devices disconnecting with no real fix. They're Z170 boards seem to be very legit and from what I remember, they have good manufacturing. Alternatively, ASROCK are pretty solid.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...7676&cm_re=asrock_z170-_-13-157-676-_-Product
    Nero3733 likes this.
  7. Nero3733

Nero3733 New Member

I never used anything msi or asrock to this day..wasnt really for an particular reason other then ppl told me it was basically like getting a generic or off brand so to expect it to run like it and act like it.I'm open minded tho and as like anything else brands that arent as well known or prestigous can sometimes come a long way and give good competition to even the best known out there so I have no problem checking those out.

Hey snicko I found a board i think im gonna go with great price and from what I seen for reviews they are very solid check it out and let me know what u think if u dont mind,thanks for all your help I really appreciate it man its good to have when spending a decent amount of money.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-GIGABYT...=100005&rk=3&rkt=6&sd=272320979376&rt=nc#rwid
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2016
  8. snickothemule

ASROCK from what I've heard are an offshoot of ASUS, their gear is really quite good. They were one of the manufacturers to jump on the ability to overclock non k intel chips until intel put a stop to it. As far as boards go, they really are pretty good in spite of them looking like a cheaper alternative.

Seems like a pretty okay board. The 2nd PCIE slot shares bandwith with PCIE_1 and if you are in the market to put another device in there it won't perform as quickly. Additionally the third slot will not operate with an m.2 device installed. Those are the only caveats I can see with that board, so depending on what you want from it, they could be good or bad.
    Nero3733 likes this.
  9. snickothemule

The other advantage of buying MSI is you get a free copy of Warhammer which is a good game and rad as all fuck!
    Nero3733 likes this.
  10. Nero3733

Nero3733 New Member

Don't most boards share bandwith with the 1 and 2 slots though? from what I know on this board if I was to run crossfire or sli it would run at 8x instead of 16 which is usually the case or did u mean the pci 4x slots for storage? I ended up purchasing the gigabyte GT I got it for a pretty good price and it seemed to have everything I need and then some.I plan on running a M.2 and most likely just a sata express SSD instead of running 2 m.2 and hopefully that will avoid any issue since using 2 m.2 slots changes alot.