Help With Drivers for a Wireless Card

Discussion in 'Software Discussion' started by Princess Garnet, May 7, 2012.

1. Princess Garnet

Princess Garnet From Love and Limerence

I need help finding drivers for a wireless (low profile) PCI card for Windows 7 (64-bit). It came out of a SFF HP PC, and it has a label on it that says "Manufactured by Actiontec for HP". It's got a chip on it with "Atheros" on it, and that chip has an "AR5213A-00" number on it. I have no idea which of the three would be the place to go for drivers.

Atheros' website has no models by that number. In searching, I came across that this chip is part of the "AR5004X family", which is listed, but I can't find out how to download anything on their website anyway. Google has been little help.

Does anyone know more to at least help me narrow down where to look?

Edit: I tried these and these, both of which say they work with that chip number (well, it says AR5213 and not AR5213A-00), but it still didn't find drivers with either one.
    Last edited: May 7, 2012
  2. NGEmu.com Advertisement

3. Princess Garnet

I found the drivers I needed so this is solved. Apparently the AR5001X+, not the AR5004X drivers, are the right ones. They only list drivers for Windows XP and Windows Vista, not Windows 7, but the Windows Vista drivers work fine (the folder that gets downloaded actually has Vista and 7 in the title).

I was about to give up since searching Google just turned up three people looking for drivers (me being one; Google is fast!), since this seems to be a rather obscure card, but I just so happened to check AIDA64 and it mention "AR5001X+" in my network adapter list, so that's what I tried and it work. I guess that makes up for it being wrong with the rotational speed of my one hard drive.

This can be closed or just ignored or whatever. Maybe someone from Google will find it useful in the future or something.

Edit: Just to follow up with my experience, the drivers install correctly, but at least in my case, it's not staying connected. It seems like it will periodically and randomly detect connections, but otherwise it doesn't detect anything (and they all have good signal strengths when it does detect anything so it's not that).

I'm not sure if the drivers aren't fully compatible with Windows 7 or if it's some other problem, but I figured I'd add it.
    Last edited: May 7, 2012
  4. Kurbster

Kurbster Administrator Staff Member

I notice with Atheros cards that the Windows interpretation of what is a "excellent", "good", and "fair" connection is highly inaccurate. I would download inSSIDer and check the RSSI of the connection....that should give you a better indication of the signal quality
  5. PsyMan

PsyMan Banned

http://www.atheros.cz/ has a quite wide list of windows drivers for various atheros chipsets. Just make sure you choose a driver that matches the device id of the card.

Quite handy if you have an OEM implementation of a chipset with dodgy/outdated/modified/unsigned drivers. :)
  6. SCHUMI_4EVER

SCHUMI_4EVER Hackin 'n Slashin Staff Member Award Winner!

Hmm, probably something you tried already but perhaps you can find something in the ActionTec archived products section http://www.actiontec.com/support/archived.php

I can get a few hits for ActionTec and SFF or HP PC but I can't tell which of those it might be. It would really help to know the model number of that HP.

Also perhaps you could try googling the device IDs (shown in in device manager).
  7. Princess Garnet

I already got the drivers you guys...
    I threw the wireless card out so it doesn't matter. A laptop gets a consistent connection anywhere here, and moving the antennae of that PCI card did nothing except for 1% of the time. I don't care.
  8. SCHUMI_4EVER

SCHUMI_4EVER Hackin 'n Slashin Staff Member Award Winner!

Well there's a difference between chipset drivers and ones from the manufacturer which is why I'd offered other ideas you could perhaps use for the drivers.
  9. Princess Garnet

I'm not so sure it was the drivers. I think it was probably the signal like someone else said. I noticed AIDA64 said it had a signal strength of -94dB, or "no signal", but in the instances it picked something up, it was -65dB or -66dB, which it said was "good". I thought nothing of it at the time, at it's just a third party program (although that third party program helped me get the right drivers), but it doesn't matter either way anymore.
  10. PsyMan

PsyMan Banned

Looks like the signal strength is awful indeed. Since it's a card and not some usb dongle without standard antenna connectors you can spare a few bucks and get an expandable antenna with high gain. That's the best possible choice for desktop cards.

What you don't want to get:

[​IMG]

What you do want to get:

[​IMG]

In any case, it's not a waste of money since you'll need an antenna of this kind with every card you put in a desktop, unless it connects to something placed very close or you put the computer case on a tall table or something. :p
  11. Princess Garnet

It was more like the second one (only it didn't have a base and the antennae part wasn't as big). I even tried putting it where the laptop usually sits.

Anyway, yes, it'd be a waste. For one, it was only going to be temporary (and I don't need it anymore), and secondly, the card didn't have anything that could be attached to it anyway; the antennae was part of it. I wouldn't buy anything for it anyway. The only reason I even tried it was because I had the card on hand.