Help With Game Lag epsxe 1.7.0

Discussion in 'ePSXe Discussion' started by slife, Nov 12, 2010.

1. slife

slife New Member

Right now I'm stuck with games that lag and I can't figure out how to configure my plugins to make it stop. Every time I enter a new room or even push pause the game will freeze up for a few seconds and the sound will skip.

I swear this plugin will work on my computer. It did before but then I tried something someone said on a forum to help me change discs and then everything went to hell. (+ i never did figure out how to change discs =( )

Plugin: Pete's OpenGL2 Driver 2.9
    Author: Pete Bernert
    Card vendor: Intel
    GFX card: Intel(R) HD Graphics

Resolution/Color:
    - 1024x768 Fullscreen - NO desktop changing
    - Internal X resolution: 0
    - Internal Y resolution: 0
    - Keep psx aspect ratio: Y
    - No render-to-texture: Y
    - Stretching mode: 2
    - Render mode: 2

- Filtering: 0
    - Hi-Res textures: 0
    - TexWin pixel shader: off
    - VRam size: 0 MBytes

Framerate:
    - FPS limitation: on
    - Frame skipping: off
    - FPS limit: Auto

Compatibility:
    - Offscreen drawing: 1
    - Framebuffer effects: 2
    - Framebuffer uploads: 2

Misc:
    - Scanlines: off
    - Mdec filter: on
    - Screen filtering: off
    - Shader effects: 0/1
    - Flicker-fix border size: 0
    - GF4/XP crash fix: off
    - Game fixes: off [00000000]

also I'm using Mooby2 cd disk image driver 2.8 if that helps
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2010
  2. NGEmu.com Advertisement

3. Kuronosu

Kuronosu Cold Fusion Power!

Hey, welcome to Emuforums.

You may want to try P.E.Op.S. CDR 1.4 for CD plugin, found here: [Pete's PSX CDR plugins. You could also try setting Framebuffer uploads to 1, since onboard graphics aren't the greatest or the fastest. If none of this helps, then I would recommend using Pete's OpenGL 1.77 for your graphics plugin, found here: [http://www.pbernert.com/gpupete177.zip. I always used those on my older laptop and they worked fine.

Also, please post your system specifications and what game you are playing. Thanks.
  4. slife

slife New Member

Nope. I'm now using both of those plugins and it's still the same
    (on a positive note: my graphics look much better now)
    here's my configuration for the OpenGL Driver 1.77

Plugin: Pete's OpenGL Driver 1.1.77
    Author: Pete Bernert
    Card vendor: Intel
    GFX card: Intel(R) HD Graphics
    OGL version: 2.1.0 - Build 8.15.10.2141

Resolution/Color:
    - 800x600 Fullscreen - NO desktop changing
    - Keep psx aspect ratio: off

Textures:
    - B8G8R8A8
    - Filtering: 2
    - Hi-Res textures: 0
    - VRam size: 0 MBytes

Framerate:
    - FPS limitation: on
    - Frame skipping: on
    - FPS limit: 53.0

Compatibility:
    - Offscreen drawing: 0
    - Framebuffer texture: 0
    - Framebuffer access: 0
    - Alpha multipass: on
    - Mask bit: off
    - Advanced blending: on

Misc:
    - Scanlines: off
    - Line mode: off
    - Unfiltered FB: off
    - 15 bit FB: off
    - Dithering: off
    - Screen smoothing: off
    - Game fixes: off [00000000]

I'm using windows 7 and I'm trying to play Chrono Cross
    (this whole mess started because i reached disc 2)
    I played Spyro to be sure it wasn't just that game and it did the same
  5. Kuronosu

I did a little digging here for the proper config. You'll need to download ePSXe 1.6.0 (not an inferior version). Adjust the GPU plugin with the settings below. To add the command line, you simply right click the ePSXe.exe program, create shortcut, right click the shortcut you just made, Properties, and in the Target box, add "-noauto" at the end (make sure there is a space in between). Example of Target box: "C:\ePSXe 1.6.0\ePSXe.exe" -noauto

Pete's GPUs Off-Screen drawing: [1: Minimum]
    Pete's GPUs Framebuffer textures: [0: Emulated vram] OR [3: Gfx card buffer & software]
    Pete's GPUs Framebuffer access: [4: Full software drawing (FVP)] Fix enter battle effect.
    Recommended Texture filtering: [0: None] [2: Extended] Looks OK. Glitched menu boarders.
    Special game fixes: [Odd/even bit hack] Fixes "Status" hang on in-game menu option. (ePSXe v.1.6.0 and lower)
    Command Line: -noauto Fixes game speed in ePSXe v.1.6.0

If you encounter sound problems, that'd be our next stop. :lol:

EDIT: To change discs, press ESC to go to the GUI, then do File -> Change Disc -> CD ROM or ISO (whichever you're using). You should be able to save at Disc 1 and pop in Disc 2 and load game otherwise.
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2010
  6. slife

slife New Member

It made it worse =(
    Now rather than glitching every time i do something (pause, change screens, move character) it just does it constantly (graphics and sound included)

I then tried to play with it for a bit. I took away that -noauto thing to see what it would do and I think that made the glitching even worse if that helps.

I'm sitting here trying to figure out what changed to where this all got so screwy. I swear I was playing the game just fine a couple days ago.

This is what that one forum told me to do to switch discs: it said to use something like DAEMON tools to mount the iso and open it that way. So I tried to do that and it didn't work for me. So I unmounted it and tried to open it regularly. It then started giving me pop ups saying missing render texture (made me wonder how that started again). looked up another forum to tell me how to fix that, I did, and here we are with lagging graphics and sounds. here's the link http://www.coolrom.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13960 I only got as far as step 4.3 before I gave up

I hope that bit might have given a clue as to what happen
  7. Kuronosu

Sounds like a bad rip. Have you tried making an ISO with ISObuster? If you have no luck with that, use CloneCD to rip the image with CCD/SUB/IMG files. If you're using an ISO to play, you would do File > Run ISO. To change discs, just use the advice above. DAEMON Tools is not necessary, unless you want the image mounted on a seperate virtual drive.

You can use the Troubleshooting FAQ as a reference, if any other problems come up.

EDIT: Disc 2 should work properly with the recent graphics settings and the -noauto command that I posted. Once you re-rip the image, post your results and graphics plugin settings again.
  8. slife

slife New Member

but it can't be just a bad rip if all my games are doing it right?
    and i used to play these iso just fine. they can't just suddenly go bad could they?
  9. slife

slife New Member

ok so I did some playing around and this is what I got...
    No matter what I did to epsxe 1.6.0 it was always the same: constant glitching
    I went back to 1.7.0 and tried turning everything to zero and unchecked everything just to see what it would do.
    The games began to run more smoothly for the most part with some lagging here and there but then I realized that when I press pause on both of the games, an image is shown from the openings. I did it a couple times and realized that the image save is the image that is shown when I press a button to skip the opening (squaresoft does this ripple thing. where i hit start to skip it is where it stays)

could the crossing of these images and the game trying to play cause the lagging?
  10. Bradman90

Bradman90 New Member

I need some help to i just now starting using ePSXE because i wanted to play final fantasy tactics and the game just does a quick lag every 3 seconds im using Eternal SPU Plugin 1.50 for sound and for video im using petes open GL driver 1.77. hope someone can help also when i go to wizard guy and test the sound nothing pops up saying its working properly
  11. daxis_maximus

daxis_maximus New Member

increase the vram option under the configuration of pete whatever