Here's how to use custom music (MP3s) with Vib Ribbon

Discussion in 'ePSXe Discussion' started by Martoon, Oct 7, 2014.

1. Martoon

Martoon New Member

I've tried a couple times in the past to make an audio CD image to use with Vib Ribbon, but hadn't succeeded in finding a reasonably simple way to turn some MP3 files into a CD image (without having to resort to things like burning a physical CDR, then make an image from that).

The release of Vib Ribbon on PSN today inspired me to try again, and I've found a pretty quick, easy way to do it. I thought I'd share that here.

You'll need PowerISO (http://www.poweriso.com/). It's a paid app, but they do have a trial version that limits you to 300MB CDs (which will just limit how many songs you can put on your CD image).
    1. Start PowerISO.
    2. From the dropdown arrow by "New", select "Audio CD".
    3. Drag some MP3 files onto the app.
    4. Click "Save", and choose a filename and where to save (the same folder as your Vib Ribbon ISO is a good choice). It'll save a .bin and a .cue file.
    5. You can now close PowerISO.
    6. Run ePSXe, and run your Vib Ribbon ISO as usual.
    7. In the game, choose to play with your own CD. It'll prompt you to insert your music CD.
    8. Escape to the ePSXe menu, and select File->Change Disc->ISO.
    9. Select the .bin or .cue file (either will work) you saved in step 4.
    10. Have fun! ;)
    It was step 4 that used to trip me up. I kept looking for some way to write to an image file (instead of a CDR). I didn't realize I could just save in PowerISO, and it would save in bin/cue format.
  2. NGEmu.com Advertisement

3. drakonolus

drakonolus Member

Hello

For what is that for?

Is for trying on play your PSX games with your own music instead from the original game songs ones? or just for trying to hear the music inside at the emulator?
  4. Martoon

Martoon New Member

Vib Ribbon, on a real PSX, allows you to insert a music CD and play levels generated from your own music. The directions above allow you to do this in the emulator, without having to burn an actual music CD.
  5. drakonolus

drakonolus Member

That's interesting, at the first glance i didn't knew that Vib Ribbon was a PSX game !!!! with that great option on to play that game, just adding the music you love on an alternate ISO. ( bin / cue on that case )

Just a curious, can i use the same trick on another PSX games, or this just only for Vib Ribbon?
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2014
  6. Martoon

Martoon New Member

In theory, it should work with any PSX game that let you use your own music CD, but I'm not aware of any PSX games that did that other than Vib Ribbon.
  7. drakonolus

drakonolus Member

Well, I tried that process you did for that game on another games and wont work. Either so, i don't own that PSX title. But somewhere, sometime i'd played that game before, it was different than others that's for sure.

I'm not sure if that method of yours can play every PSX title ever created. But maybe only just on those games that got CDDA files.

I use ISOBUSTER or CDIMAGE. Or even Nero / Easy CD Creator ( For the audio only, why not? ) Extract, the whole files on TRACKS, especially those CDDA files on .BIN or even on WAV format. And then change the .CUE information for a future correct lecture. ( http://redump.org/ is your best friend ) At the Wav files. Grab all the music you love, convert them as a Wav. Change their names into the same name files that it got the actual original Audio game file. ( Track 02 and ahead )

Use alcohol 120% or Daemon Tools for mounting, and use CLONECD for making the .IMG / .CCD / .SUB / .CUE files. ( the best ISO Creator program for the PSX games )

And then, you can burn on a disc for a future playing on a Real Hardware or even a good ISO for to play inside on a Emulator. Just like the real deal.

P.S.
    I already tested the Poweriso program, not bad really. I still rather prefer on using those programs that i've already name for the handling of the PSX games ( or even on a such CD kind of games )
  8. Martoon

Martoon New Member

Sorry, I think you're misunderstanding the purpose of my original post.

Vib Ribbon (the original game disc, on a real Playstation) has a special feature that lets you play with your own music. You select that option from the menu in the game, and it prompts you to remove the game CD, and insert your own music CD. It then reads the tracks off your music CD, and generates game levels from those tracks, that you can play to.

My guide (in the original post) is just a method to let you do this in ePSXe, using a Vib Ribbon disc image and your MP3 files.

No PSX games (that I'm aware of) other than Vib Ribbon have this feature, so there would be no point in doing this with any other game.
  9. HomeStarRunnerTron

HomeStarRunnerTron New Member

Well, this thread got misconstrued quickly! Hi-- I hope I'm not too late to get a response from you. Huge Masaya Matsuura fan, and I've gotten the PAL version to run on PSXfin 1.13 just fine by pressing Eject Disc then opening up my new BIN/CUE at the proper time. The only problem with it is that it cuts off just a FEW pixels at the bottom, for whatever reason. So I've tried about five times now in various configurations to get it running properly on ePSXe 1.9, since it doesn't have that problem. BUT-- I can't even get it to run the music that the disc came packaged with-- it asks for the Vib-Ribbon disc to be inserted, and if I change ISO and pick Vib-Ribbon again, it just loads for a while, then asks again. Pretty similar response for custom CD, too. Any chance you could give details about your set-up? (What version you're using of ePSXe, BIOS, the CD-ROM driver, video driver, audio driver, even if you're using the Japanese version instead of the PAL version!) Thank you very, very much in advance! You seem to be the only one who's publicly gotten this to work.
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2014
  10. Martoon

Martoon New Member

Hey HomeStarRunnerTron,

I'm also running the PAL version as a bin/cue in ePSXe 1.9.0. I tested it just now, and noticed that when I run it (via File->Run ISO), if I select the .bin file, it does what you describe, but if I select the .cue file, it works. I suspect it needs the track info from the .cue file to see the CD audio tracks.

If you're running the .cue file but still having this problem, I'm not sure what it is. I've attached a zip file with the registry export of the ePSXe config settings section from my registry. If you import that into your registry, you should get the same config settings.

Let me know if that doesn't work, and we'll see if we can figure out what else might be different. Good luck!

Attached Files:

11. HomeStarRunnerTron

WOW, thank you so, so much. That was literally all I needed to do! So yeah-- use .CUEs exclusively if you want to play (both for Vib-Ribbon and the customs CDs), and not .BINs. WHEW, thank goodness. Ain't nothing quite like playing Tears for Fears and XTC in this MOMA-worthy game.

I've been reading up about this game and I was hoping to make a comprehensive video about it-- would it be all right if I credit you for all of this magic?

^ After a whole week of staying up late to learn every step of this (and accidentally breaking my laptop), I couldn't be more thankful!
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2014
  12. Martoon

Martoon New Member

Glad you got it working! I hate to see anyone deprived of some Vib Ribbon.

You don't need to credit me, but it's fine if you do. I guess the closest thing I have to a public persona online is my dev blog that I post to about once a year at http://www.levitygames.com/

Nice YouTube channel, btw!
  13. HomeStarRunnerTron

Wow, I played Anthony's Psyche-- really awesome storytelling using minimal but satisfying-feeling gameplay. Thank you so much for saying so, and here's hoping I can learn as much about ActionScript as you do! : )

Anyway, just thought I'd mention that I was trying to test out the capacity-- obviously BIN/CUEs have a limit over how much they can hold, but ePSXe can handle even less than that, at least on my computer! Somewhere around 880-890MB, it completely poops out and I have to force-quit. These BIN/CUEs can run on PSXfin, but for some reason, it can't handle it here. Just thought I'd put that out! WOOP WOOP.

Thinking about the opportunities having the ability to make as many virtual CDs as I want, I'm gonna try playing a track that's just a LITTLE over an hour and see if Vibri (or I) can handle it.
  14. bloodymascarade

bloodymascarade New Member

Hello. I am having problems with this meathod. I am creation the .bin file and trying to load it, however, it does not recognize it and just goes back to the insert disk screen. Then, I try to play off the game disk, and it does the same thing. and ideas on how to fix this would be epic.
  15. HomeStarRunnerTron

Hey-- it sounds like you're making the same mistake I did. DON'T select the .bin. Select the .cue. Give that a shot!
  16. banana stupid girl

banana stupid girl New Member

MY problem is that games original music works.But when i try to play my .cue file it gives me an error
  17. adrian22495

adrian22495 New Member

Hi! I did all the steps but when I change de iso to the .cue file i have a "*Error audio disc". Any idea for what's wrong?
  18. agentabacus

agentabacus New Member

I also get the "Error audio disc" message when trying to load a cue file =\

Really unfortunate. I've tried every other way I can think of to wrangle those audio files together short of going and buying CDs, but to no avail.

Interestingly, I can't find any mentions other than this thread right here for the "Error audio disc" message. Please let me know of any ideas...